METS August 21…going for a series win with mighty Cole Irvin

HowAboutThat

4 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

Two questions.

Does anybody think that Elias will DFA Kimbrel or do I just need to give up on that dream?

I looked at the Norfolk roster the other day and there’s really nothing there from a relief pitching standpoint that seemed worth taking a gamble on. Just the same old retreads that we used to.  Desperate times call for desperate measures. Is there anyone at Bowie that could possibly come up and help?

I could see a Kimbrel DFA happening, but only if he continues to be awful for the next several weeks, and others have done well enough to stay around when Webb/Coulombe return. 

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Why is throwing at full speed showboating when he had to make sure the throw would beat the runner?  In case you weren't paying attention, it was a close play...any slower, the runner would have been safe outright.

45 degree angle?  Why's that showboating other than you don't like how it looks?

After looking at it many times I don't think Gunnar was showboating at all but went wide of the bag to avoid a runner that wasn't even close to the bag-that forced him to throw against his body sidearm.  He made it a more difficult play than it should have been-in 20/20 hindsight he should have gone over the bag for a much better arm angle.

Let's face it-the middle infielders gave up two runs today on three poor plays:

-Holliday's brain fart allowing a runner to advance to third

-Holliday screwing up a DP

-Gunnar screwing up a DP

I think Mateo makes all three of those plays.  I understand growing pains, and the choice of offense over defense but it's frustrated to watch.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Where is Soto? I mean, he hadn't allowed a run in his last four appearances and hasn't been seen since Saturday. 

It’s possible that Hyde is making his annoyance known. He sure seems annoyed with Kimbrel. Maybe he just has no input over who Elias picks up and is angry with some choices.

i was actually expecting to see our worst guys come in yesterday, but again, Hyde is a bad bullpen managers, and even worse when they all are bad.

33 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

It’s a laugh perfected by watching the Ravens in the playoffs 

True statement. Sometimes you got to just put those "walls up" when teams or parts of teams let you down. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Why is throwing at full speed showboating when he had to make sure the throw would beat the runner?  In case you weren't paying attention, it was a close play...any slower, the runner would have been safe outright.

45 degree angle?  Why's that showboating other than you don't like how it looks?

It’s showboating if you make the play look more difficult than it was. Throwing across your body at full speed and at an awkward angle is difficult, and we’ve seen many such throws go high or wide.

As I said, sometimes one has no choice, but the definition of showboating is doing the difficult when it’s not necessary, and in this particular case, it wasn’t. It was close because Mountcastle was pulled off the bag. An accurate throw would have gotten him even if Gunnar had taken a split second for a more careful throw.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

Two questions.

Does anybody think that Elias will DFA Kimbrel or do I just need to give up on that dream?

I looked at the Norfolk roster the other day and there’s really nothing there from a relief pitching standpoint that seemed worth taking a gamble on. Just the same old retreads that we used to.  Desperate times call for desperate measures. Is there anyone at Bowie that could possibly come up and help?

No Kimbrel is not going anywhere. It would be a large loss of street cred for Elias to give up on a 13 million dollar arm

and no, there is no cavalry.

Edited by HowAboutThat

58 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

Look anyone would be a fool to say Elias hasn't done a good job here but one has to ask themselves this the Rogers trade and Soto trade looks horrible then he gave away T. Scott, little Yaz and Christian Walker for nothing. So he wins some and lose some like any other GM. We need to stop acting like he is infallible. It's ok to criticize his work. Also Tony P. has uncovered how his drafts hasn't been going all that well  either the last 3 years. 

If you're going to criticize him, get your facts sorted out. The only one of those players that Elias had anything to do with was Tanner Scott. The other two were gone long before Mike Elias arrived in Baltimore.

5 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

If you're going to criticize him, get your facts sorted out. The only one of those players that Elias had anything to do with was Tanner Scott. The other two were gone long before Mike Elias arrived in Baltimore.

On March 22, 2019, the Orioles traded Yastrzemski to the San Francisco Giants in exchange for minor league pitcher Tyler Herb.

On November 16, 2018, the Baltimore Orioles hired Elias as their general manager and executive vice president.

If you want to call someone out for not having their facts sorted you might want to make sure that they are the one that is incorrect.

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

After looking at it many times I don't think Gunnar was showboating at all but went wide of the bag to avoid a runner that wasn't even close to the bag-that forced him to throw against his body sidearm.  He made it a more difficult play than it should have been-in 20/20 hindsight he should have gone over the bag for a much better arm angle.

Let's face it-the middle infielders gave up two runs today on three poor plays:

-Holliday's brain fart allowing a runner to advance to third

-Holliday screwing up a DP

-Gunnar screwing up a DP

I think Mateo makes all three of those plays.  I understand growing pains, and the choice of offense over defense but it's frustrated to watch.

• Gunner was definitely showboating,I said it to myself as the play was happening , He has to get better.

53 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

You just made a fool out of yourself. Go look at the deadline of those trades and when Elias got the job. Thanks to Corn for putting you in your place for me. Lol

1 hour ago, HowAboutThat said:

It’s showboating if you make the play look more difficult than it was. Throwing across your body at full speed and at an awkward angle is difficult, and we’ve seen many such throws go high or wide.

As I said, sometimes one has no choice, but the definition of showboating is doing the difficult when it’s not necessary, and in this particular case, it wasn’t. It was close because Mountcastle was pulled off the bag. An accurate throw would have gotten him even if Gunnar had taken a split second for a more careful throw.

It wasn’t showboating. 

7 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

You just made a fool out of yourself. Go look at the deadline of those trades and when Elias got the job. Thanks to Corn for putting you in your place for me. Lol

He was, however, correct about Christian Walker, and to date, Walker has 15+war, a career 114 OPS and 2 gold gloves. His departure was all on Buck and Dan.

25 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

He was, however, correct about Christian Walker, and to date, Walker has 15+war, a career 114 OPS and 2 gold gloves. His departure was all on Buck and Dan.

Yes you are right. Apologies to Elias on that one. So both Flip the bird and myself were off lol