Os claim Emmanuel Rivera; DFA Vavra

Sports Guy

Not sure where he fits unless this is to just ensure Mayo stays in the minors all year. Seems to be a good defender at 3B but can't hit his weight. I guess he's Urias depth? His statcast chart is pretty ugly offensively.

image.png.b15416a4ab6267dc6bc9cb84bb188646.png

Elias seems to really value's slow, right-handed batters who have trouble finding their game power.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not sure where he fits unless this is to just ensure Mayo stays in the minors all year. Seems to be a good defender at 3B but can't hit his weight. I guess he's Urias depth? His statcast chart is pretty ugly offensively.

image.png.b15416a4ab6267dc6bc9cb84bb188646.png

Elias seems to really value's slow, right-handed batters who have trouble finding their game power.

Dumpster Diving

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, deward said:

I'm assuming this is because they don't really like Soto's defense at 3B?

He gives you a right handed bat instead of Soto a left hander if they want to give Jackson a day off possibly against Valdez.  

• Upvote 1

I guess I don't understand worrying about infield depth to the point the Os feel compelled to make this kind of transaction. If Urias gets hurt, Mountcastle can finish out that game, and then bring up Mayo the next day. 

2 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

He has went 4 innings on the mound this season so maybe a late reliever instead of Kimbrel or Soto.  

We already have Nick Maton in AAA who can pitch. He pitched the ninth inning twice last week for the Tides. 

• Upvote 1

Probably irrational, but I'm glad to see Vavra go.  I doubt the roster maneuver means anything more than he did during his time with the O's.  I think it's meaningful that my post is the first one in this thread to focus on the consequences of losing Vavra.

35 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Probably irrational, but I'm glad to see Vavra go.  I doubt the roster maneuver means anything more than he did during his time with the O's.  I think it's meaningful that my post is the first one in this thread to focus on the consequences of losing Vavra.

Well, we don't know if he's gone. If he's unclaimed on waivers, he will likely stay with the organization and just be removed from the 40 man roster. Like Irvin was last month. 

• Upvote 1