We're going to be okay.

interloper

I dont have access to some of the advanced stats that get mentioned (BABIP, WRC+) for a specific time period. This may have already been mentioned but since the all-star break Henderson has an OPS of .749, Adley .609, OHearn .735 and Holliday .682. Cowser is .869 and Santander is .854. Our pitching is bad but the hitting is not far behind.

It reminds me of the quote from John Robinson when he was Coaching Tampa Bay. He said that the tackling was bad but they made up for by not being able to block anybody. 

9 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I hear you yet at the same time it isn't just those two series. When was the last time we won 3 or 4 games in a row?

We've played poorly overall for a couple months.

I think we’ve been playing at a mediocre level just like everyone atop the AL. Still 2nd best record in the league. It’s definitely frustrating as a fan but I just don’t see how we’re going to string a bunch of wins in a row with the current starting pitcher situation. I’m hoping we take advantage of the weaker opponents upcoming and get some reinforcements back for the back half of the month

1 hour ago, Baseball fandom said:

I was going to say I agree but in 2025 but then I realize no Burns, no Bradish  possibly no Santander. That playoff window is going to start getting tighter and tighter. 

Fair, but you would hope we see some sort of improvement or solid play from Cowser, Holliday, Mayo, Basallo, Gunnar, Adley, Westburg, Kjerstad, Grayson, etc

14 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

The Orioles are not alone re stagnant play over the last six to eight weeks. I mean when the Athletics have one of the better records over a recent span - maybe the baseball world is in some kind of time warp. So this year will boil down to which teams get hot and right the ship at the end. At least we are still in the top tier. Get well - get better - get going! 

As Morgan Freeman said, “Get busy livin or get busy dying”.

2 hours ago, CTBear said:

I think a lot of the guys are just waiting for the calendar to hit September. They’re treading water right now but once they see the finish line approaching, I think we see some guys really lock in

I don't believe this for a second.  There is no 'magical switch' that they are miraculously going to flip and suddenly they will start hitting better just because the calendar month flipped.  If anything they are likely to start pressing even more as now their backs are coming up against the wall.  Now don't get me wrong, some guys may get 'hot' again, just as they got cold.  That's baseball and over the course of a season guys go through hot and cold phases.  A guy that ends up hitting .300 likely hit .275 for a month then .325 for a month to get to that average.  But to think they are suddenly going to become all hot again just because September starts is, I think, a silly notion.  

It's like the 'clutch' idea.  If a guy can be a great hitter with the bases full of runners, there should be no reason he can't be equally successful with the bases empty.  Granted, the defense positioning is slightly different with runners on, and the pitcher pitch selection/motion can change, and that can make some difference, but it's not like he actually sees pitches better because someone is on 2nd or that he's 'really giving it his all' just because we have runners on.  Most 'clutch' statistics are just statistical noise.  Same with most 'better hitter in X month' or whatever.  He just happened to have hot streaks in 3 of his 4 MLB seasons that coincided with that particular month.  There is nothing mythical or magical about a particular month for a player, IMO.  

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

I don't believe this for a second.  There is no 'magical switch' that they are miraculously going to flip and suddenly they will start hitting better just because the calendar month flipped.  If anything they are likely to start pressing even more as now their backs are coming up against the wall.  Now don't get me wrong, some guys may get 'hot' again, just as they got cold.  That's baseball and over the course of a season guys go through hot and cold phases.  A guy that ends up hitting .300 likely hit .275 for a month then .325 for a month to get to that average.  But to think they are suddenly going to become all hot again just because September starts is, I think, a silly notion.  

It's like the 'clutch' idea.  If a guy can be a great hitter with the bases full of runners, there should be no reason he can't be equally successful with the bases empty.  Granted, the defense positioning is slightly different with runners on, and the pitcher pitch selection/motion can change, and that can make some difference, but it's not like he actually sees pitches better because someone is on 2nd or that he's 'really giving it his all' just because we have runners on.  Most 'clutch' statistics are just statistical noise.  Same with most 'better hitter in X month' or whatever.  He just happened to have hot streaks in 3 of his 4 MLB seasons that coincided with that particular month.  There is nothing mythical or magical about a particular month for a player, IMO.  

I mean the mental part of the game is huge. Sometimes a calendar flip does actually make a difference if you believe it will as a player. 

11 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

The only reason the calendar would make any difference is because our series against the worst team in baseball happens to start on 9/1. 

100%. 

Your momentum is only as good as the next day's starting pitcher. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I mean the mental part of the game is huge. Sometimes a calendar flip does actually make a difference if you believe it will as a player. 

Ha!  If it's that simple, then someone just have changed all the calendars in the clubhouse to September about 2 weeks ago!  😉 

3 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Fortunately, I don’t think anyone feels like their back is against the wall. We’re 7.5 games ahead of the Red Sox so none of them should feel like playoff hopes are slipping even if there’s still a small possibility. I’m not even sure they’re panicking over the division. We won the East last year and still got swept in the ALDS. Just gotta find a way to start playing their best baseball for October