Should the Orioles relieve Brandon Hyde of his duties?

Deadwood Fan

2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Do you think the Orioles look like a well coached team right now? 

Does Hyde get up to hit with RISP and fail miserably like the entire team has for the past few weeks?

I get it, some fans think they're entitled to their pound of flesh...or need heads to roll to feel good about a crappy situation.  And since you can't replace all of the players, it's just easy to target the manager.

But you're not making this post if they win last night and take 2/3 from the Dodgers. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Does Hyde get up to hit with RISP and fail miserably like the entire team has for the past few weeks?

I get it, some fans think they're entitled to their pound of flesh...or need heads to roll to feel good about a crappy situation.  And since you can't replace all of the players, it's just easy to target the manager.

But you're not making this post if they win last night and take 2/3 from the Dodgers. 

I’m more concerned about the defense and the general body language/demeanor of the team right now. I know the offense, pitching, etc. is something he doesn’t have control over. That’s on the players. 

For whoever watches hockey, it feels like this team went from the Barry Trotz Capitals to the Todd Reirden Capitals pretty damn fast. Under Trotz, their roster and talent level varied over his 4 years but they were just a well coached team that did things the right way. Then Reirden took over and their defense fell apart and they looked like a complete mess almost immediately. Their record was just as good in the regular season, but it was pretty evident they were nowhere near as good of an actual team. That’s pretty much how the last 2 months have felt. That could obviously revert back to what they’ve been since mid 2022 this last month, but if it doesn’t, all I’m saying is there has to be some concern heading into the offseason. 

Just now, LGOrioles said:

I’m more concerned about the defense and the general body language/demeanor  

I stopped reading at general body language/demeanor.  The defense is a factor, but IMO, not overly so.  And when you're missing guys like Mateo and Westburg, it's going to be worse than what it was.  

Both also had great respect for Senior, who had coached Murray in the Florida Instructional League in 1973, when some scouts had thought the just-drafted Murray was either lazy or uninterested because he folded his arms at first base between pitches. “That’s just how he stands,” Senior scoffed, helping defuse the criticism. Later, Senior helped Murray become a switch hitter, a move that set him on the path to being an All-Star.

https://www.bookfrom.net/john-eisenberg/page,10,296741-the_streak.html

Sports fans becoming experts on whether or not a manager should be fired because of the "demeanor" of the team is one of the funnier takes, IMO.  Someone puts their hands on their hips, looks frustrated...and people think they're Carl Jung all of a sudden.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I stopped reading at general body language/demeanor.  The defense is a factor, but IMO, not overly so.  And when you're missing guys like Mateo and Westburg, it's going to be worse than what it was.  

https://www.bookfrom.net/john-eisenberg/page,10,296741-the_streak.html

Sports fans becoming experts on whether or not a manager should be fired because of the "demeanor" of the team is one of the funnier takes, IMO.  Someone puts their hands on their hips, looks frustrated...and people think they're Carl Jung all of a sudden.

I think they just seem so off right now, excluding the poor hitting/pitching. Maybe it’s just the injuries but it seems deeper than that.

They could easily go 20-7 these next 27 games and everything will be great. I just don’t see how they could have another month like the last 2 and not have it at least be a question in the offseason. 

Just now, LGOrioles said:

I think they just seem so off right now, excluding the poor hitting/pitching. Maybe it’s just the injuries but it seems deeper than that.

They could easily go 20-7 these next 27 games and everything will be great. I just don’t see how they could have another month like the last 2 and not have it at least be a question in the offseason. 

They do seem off.  Not having a lot of key guys on the field is absolutely huge.  This is a different team with Westburg, even though Urias has filled in admirably.  This is a different team with G-Rod, Eflin, Bradish in the rotation and DC in the bullpen.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Do you think the Orioles look like a well coached team right now? 

Did the '83 Orioles look well coached in late May when they lost seven straight, including being swept by the 70-92 Twins? Or later in August when they lost another seven straight, including being swept by the last place Indians and dropping out of first place? I mean, Storm Davis gave up eight runs in 2.2 innings, Todd Cruz and Rich Dauer OPSing under .600, Al Bumbry with a .668 OPS leading off? What in bloody hell was Joe Altobelli thinking? I woulda fired him, clearly no idea what he's doing. And GM Hank Peters should go, too. They hadn't won a title since '70, were they even trying?

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They do seem off.  Not having a lot of key guys on the field is absolutely huge.  This is a different team with Westburg, even though Urias has filled in admirably.  This is a different team with G-Rod, Eflin, Bradish in the rotation and DC in the bullpen.

And i think the contribution of Mateo was undervalued till missing… he would have played better defense at second than JH, his speed is a weapon, and GH could have DHd at times and let Jorge play short

I've been a big supporter of Hyde but last night really drove me nuts. The decision to bring the infield in down 1, 0 out in the 4th inning really turned the game. Even with the infield in, the odds of getting out of that situation without giving up a run are very low. Instead of conceding a run to get outs, they ended up scoring four. IMO that was an awful decision with little upside and a lot of downside risk, and the risk showed up. 

Hyde also extended Povich and Bowman two batters each when they had high pitch counts and looked gas. I get it, he is trying to save the bullpen but in both cases both of the two extra batters got on which led to more runs. 

Cowser's homer should have tied the game at 3-3 and given us a chance to win.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I've been a big supporter of Hyde but last night really drove me nuts. The decision to bring the infield in down 1, 0 out in the 4th inning really turned the game. Even with the infield in, the odds of getting out of that situation without giving up a run are very low. Instead of conceding a run to get outs, they ended up scoring four. IMO that was an awful decision with little upside and a lot of downside risk, and the risk showed up. 

Hyde also extended Povich and Bowman two batters each when they had high pitch counts and looked gas. I get it, he is trying to save the bullpen but in both cases both of the two extra batters got on which led to more runs. 

Cowser's homer should have tied the game at 3-3 and given us a chance to win.

I wanted Hyde to pull Povich after 3 innings.  He had gotten through 3 innings with only 1 ER allowed despite being in a jam all three innings.  He was already over 70 pitches and had been under pressure all game.  That was a case where Hyde should have quit while he was ahead (or at least not too far behind).   

9 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

And i think the contribution of Mateo was undervalued till missing… he would have played better defense at second than JH, his speed is a weapon, and GH could have DHd at times and let Jorge play short

I think Mateo brought more to the table than people realize.  I do believe there are advanced metrics and other things Elias and Sig look at to measure impact on a game and Mateo had something they liked.  

At the very least, he brought the dimension of speed on the basepaths that we still have a little of...but he was a big part of that.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I wanted Hyde to pull Povich after 3 innings.  He had gotten through 3 innings with only 1 ER allowed despite being in a jam all three innings.  He was already over 70 pitches and had been under pressure all game.  That was a case where Hyde should have quit while he was ahead (or at least not too far behind).   

I thought when he got Ohtani in the 4th that would be the perfect moment to take him out. At that point you are down 3-0 (maybe 2-0 if you had brought the infield in), then you bring in a RHP to face Mookie and Povich leaves the game with his head high for having gotten the best hitter in the game. As it is, Mookie gets a hit, he walks Teoscar, and the bullpen still has to cover 4.2 innings. He was at 80 pitches then, perhaps a bit early but he looked gassed and had a bunch of unfavorable matchups coming up in a winnable game. 

The board wants Hyde to be more protective of the bullpen but in this case he overcorrected, imo. 

I'm more interested in if Elias decides to keep Drew French, Matt Borgschulte, and Ryan Fuller.

I'm not at all saying they are at fault for anything that's happened this season, especially Drew French because of all the injuries. 

But kind of curious if any changes end up being made.