9/1 Roster Moves

Brian88

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Teams don’t like driving their catchers into the ground especially this late into the season and even more so when Adley has had back issues recently. Folks want him to hit better, well you don’t hit better being driven into the ground.

From Roch's latest blog post:

"The Orioles selected catcher David Bañuelos’ contract from Norfolk. He was on the taxi squad and likely will return to it by Monday afternoon."

21 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They always do something weird like add a third catcher for a couple days. Hopefully we get some of Mountcastle, Urias, and Westburg back. Then the 13th and 14th guy doesn't matter. Hope we get a blowout in our favor and Banjos gets some playing time 

I love the Banjos nickname.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Norfolk is in Jacksonville. They can just do it tomorrow when travel arrangements get straight today. 

Yes, that is exactly what I'm expecting. Roch just posted in his blog that Banuelos was on the taxi squad in Denver already, and he is likely to go back to the taxi squad by tomorrow afternoon.

Rubenstein wouldn't send a private plane to get Nick Maton from Jacksonville to Denver for today?!?!?

I hope the 28 Orioles there can beat Ty Blach, though I think by this point the league could just be trolling Elias' stack of lefty bats and in the playoffs teams will just leave Cy Young contenders off their rosters for the Jamie Moyers and Bruce Zimmermanns they have lying around.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pushmonkey said:

I’m fine with McCann playing today. But you can’t tell me that they can’t fly anywhere or any player after the game last night. 

Whoever they call up this week for Banuelos’ spot probably wasn’t part of the starting plan for today anyway. The players are human employees and things like travel/rest have tangible effects on performance. 

8 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Teams don’t like driving their catchers into the ground especially this late into the season and even more so when Adley has had back issues recently. Folks want him to hit better, well you don’t hit better being driven into the ground.

I think it's more that Adley has been dealing with back problems most of the year.  All his struggles on offense make more sense if that is true.  Probably about when his offense nosedive is when his back problems flared.  Just me as someone with back problems conjecturing.  Adley has had a lot more rest days this year than last

1 hour ago, Pushmonkey said:

2 moves makes sense.  The third and fourth are like wtf is going on and no kreamer move. Seriously. Come the heck on. 

Over react much?

It would have been nearly impossible to get anyone to Denver in time for today's game so the additions to the roster are the two planned guys who were going to join the roster when it expanded today, and Banueloa who was most likely on the taxi squad and with the team.  Kremer will go on the IL tomorrow and someone else will join the team in Baltimore.  And Banuelos may be off the roster too and some else will be added.

43 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Good grief how many times have they added Banuelos and everybody freaks out about a tbird C, only to have it last one day and it was just logistical purposes?  

Does he get paid for it? Or is that not officially being addded to the roster?

42 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

They had multiple days to have this figured out however that’s the deal. Throwing this game away with an already short bench. 

Huh? They had it figured out: Eflin and Mayo were always going to be the Sept 1 call-ups.  They didn't have days to account for the Urias and Kremer injuries.  Those occurred less than 20 hours before today's game so they just DLd I e of them and replaced him with a guy who was in Denver for one day because why not.   That's All their is too this, anyone trying to read more into it is just pushing their own biases into what is a pretty simple decision process.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It would have been nearly impossible to get anyone to Denver in time for today's game so the additions to the roster are the two planned guys who were going to join the roster when it expanded today, and Banueloa who was most likely on the taxi squad and with the team.  Kremer will go on the IL tomorrow and someone else will join the team in Baltimore.  And Banuelos may be off the roster too and some else will be added.

You're 100% correct. Roch confirmed that Banuelos was already on the taxi squad and will likely return to the taxi squad by tomorrow afternoon.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Huh? They had it figured out: Eflin and Mayo were always going to be the Sept 1 call-ups.  They didn't have days to account for the Urias and Kremer injuries.  Those occurred less than 20 hours before today's game so they just DLd I e of them and replaced him with a guy who was in Denver for one day because why not.   That's All their is too this, anyone trying to read more into it is just pushing their own biases into what is a pretty simple decision process.

I agree with all of this. The only thing I'm confused about is why they didn't add Nick Anderson by last night's 11:59pm postseason eligibility deadline.

19 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

My point is the bullpen is shot. An extra arm is shot and I don’t have faith Effie is going deep today. Who’s pitching behind him. Banjo sure why not. 

Maybe Irvin (on 3 days rest, 60 pitches) is in the pen and Young gets called up for Kremer next start, or Rogers.

5 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Maybe Irvin (on 3 days rest, 60 pitches) is in the pen and Young gets called up for Kremer next start, or Rogers.

I guess. This is the most logical. I just think it’s short sighted. I get it’s not easy to get people on short notice. I get that moves will be made tomorrow. I just disagree that it can’t be done and something needs to be done and not leave the team with Rivera and sota as the bench. I don’t get the bull pen management. If you agree that every move is fine then just bend over for Ellis and Hyde to do the same moves every time.