O’s look done

Pat Kelly

3 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Adley just spoke about how the players all have faith in "the process."

What is this process? Is it just playing hard and not letting past losses/poor play discourage you or affect today's performance? That's all fine, but doesn't really mean anything.

No matter what question is asked of Adley, he always responds with "the process" and "working with the hitting coaches." Has never clarified exactly what the process is.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gunnar isn't a free agent until 2029.

While it was easy to be confident about losing guys like Hays, Santander, MC, Urias and Burnes because we had ML-ready replacements who would replace them with improved production, it's hard to be confident about any of those replacements other than Gunnar and Westburg.

• Upvote 1

Just now, spiritof66 said:

While it was easy to be confident about losing guys like Hays, Santander, MC, Urias and Burnes because we had ML-ready replacements who would replace them with improved production, it's hard to be confident about any of those replacements other than Gunnar and Westburg.

Don't sweat it, the team will just lean on all the young pitching in the minors.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

He's referring to the guy who is leading the club in homers. 

I figure the best power hitter is the guy that has both the highest OPS and the highest slugging.

Which is not the guy leading the team in homers.  Five more doubles and five more triples matter more to me than four more home runs.

15 hours ago, Warehouse said:

Our xOBP was .346 today (as opposed to .195 for Tigers) which is actually not bad.  

More statcast metrics on yesterday’s game are now available.  

We had an OPS of .672 and an xOPS of .731 vs.  .664 and .639 respectively for the Tigers. We had a K% of 11.1% and whiff% of 13.1% vs. 37.5% and 34.8% respectively for the Tigers.  We had an avg EV of 91.2 and hard-hit% of 37.9% vs. 82.3 and 23.5% respectively for the Tigers.

Things we did well: make contact, hit the ball hard. Things we did poorly: hit in the clutch, elevate the ball.

It wasn’t a great result overall, but there were signs of underlying improvement.

On 9/15/2024 at 7:02 PM, spiritof66 said:

We clearly don’t 

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I figure the best power hitter is the guy that has both the highest OPS and the highest slugging.

Which is not the guy leading the team in homers.  Five more doubles and five more triples matter more to me than four more home runs.

You know who I was talking about Coolio!

It is my firm belief that the Orioles are suffering from an organizational flaw.  Mainly in their hitting and fielding instruction.  Mainly at the lower levels. 

I actually believe that their pitching metrics and instruction are good.  It is just that they never draft enough pitchers to fully realize the fruits of their labor and the good minor league pitchers that they do have?  They don't extend and pitch their young guys enough.  It seems as if they are always being babied.  So other teams snatch them up in trades because they see the potential and they tend do pretty well with them afterwards.  Without having to do really anything other than a few tweeks. 

Imo the Orioles hitting and fielding instruction has a big flaw.  There is a major disconnect between what they are teaching in the minor leagues and how that translates to the major leagues.  For example 2 players in Mayo and Holliday appear to be complete novices when it comes to hitting major league pitching.  This despite doing very well in the minors.  I could list others as well but those are the 2 prime examples.  They are not just bad.  They are almost historically bad.  Especially when you add it the fact they are top ranked players in the minors. 

And the fielding?  I cannot for the life of me understand how these players come up to the majors so lacking in fundamentals. 

In addition I believe that Manager Hyde has no business coaching a major league team trying to win a world series.  He is fine as a placard when there is a team that is supposed to tank.   He can keep things on a fairy level keel.    Like the Orioles from 2017 to 2021.  But his approach as a manager in getting a team to be disciplined and focused on taking that next step to the playoffs and beyond is severely lacking imo.  The Orioles play very poor fundamental baseball in all facets.  Hitting.  Running.  Fielding.  Pitching.    That is simply coaching 101.  

I sincerely hope that the Orioles brass understands this and makes the proper moves this coming off season. 

Edited by HardlyRocked