With another 1.5 months of performance results...

Just Regular

Would the team be any better off with Skubal than they are now, considering the hitting woes?  I think that’s debatable, and questionable enough that I wouldn’t give up that high level talent to find out. 

Who knows if the Tigers would have even done that?  They’ve made a nice run behind Skubal and the rest of their staff since the deadline. I think it’s a good chance they extend him to lead that young team into the next several years of what they hope are contending teams. Decent position player pool there. 

I wouldn't have done any but the least realistic Cowser/Kjerstad low upside pairing, but some flavor of this conversation will come around on the carousel this winter as the White Sox explore their Garrett Crochet market.

Getz will continue to not want Elias' very seasoned oldsters.

Slight topic tangent, but in the hindsight 20/20 dept., what if the Orioles had decided to do minors graduation in stages by ages: promoting Ortiz (25) and Norby (24) for key roles on this year's contending team, and letting the younger Holliday (20) and Mayo (22) get further seasoning in the minors while things played out in Baltimore.

Yeah, there is the Corbin Burnes factor, but a comparative WAR exercise might be a wash even just for this year, never mind future retained value. (Not to forget, too, DL Hall).

Oh well, a couple of good playoff starts from Burnes and Eflin, with timely hits from Holliday and Mayo, puts all this to rest.

10 hours ago, now said:

Slight topic tangent, but in the hindsight 20/20 dept., what if the Orioles had decided to do minors graduation in stages by ages: promoting Ortiz (25) and Norby (24) for key roles on this year's contending team, and letting the younger Holliday (20) and Mayo (22) get further seasoning in the minors while things played out in Baltimore.

Yeah, there is the Corbin Burnes factor, but a comparative WAR exercise might be a wash even just for this year, never mind future retained value. (Not to forget, too, DL Hall).

Oh well, a couple of good playoff starts from Burnes and Eflin, with timely hits from Holliday and Mayo, puts all this to rest.

I hope we find some way not to have Mayo on the postseason roster. No sign at all that his bat is coming around, he's a liability on D, and has no value as a pinchrunner. Are Rivera and Soto postseason-eligible?

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

I hope we find some way not to have Mayo on the postseason roster. No sign at all that his bat is coming around, he's a liability on D, and has no value as a pinchrunner. Are Rivera and Soto postseason-eligible?

They are.

I don't see Mayo being included on the post season rosters, barring injury.

21 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

1.5 months of data shouldn't make any difference. These guys have too much upside to trade. I'm most concerned about Mayo, more due to lack of position than the early hitting results. Still, no regrets even if Skubal was available, which I highly doubt 

Depending on what’s going on with Adley there may be enough DH bats in addition wherever else they stick Mayo and Kjerstad in the field. Hopefully it’s just a lingering issue with his hand but even so in the long run Adley needs more days off, which is easier if he ends up being a sub .800 OPS guy.

59 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

People are so carefree about a willingness to include Holliday as a trade piece because he’s sub-Mendoza Line in his age 20 year, but that will change sooner if not later. 

In order to get the likely Cy Young winner with two more years of control we would have had to give up something awfully valuable.  

9 hours ago, LA2 said:

I dont see any scenerio where Mayo is on the post season roster. WIll proabably be either Soto or Rivera for the last position player roster spot depending which one they want. They both probably wont play. Soto makes sense as a versatile defensive replacement in a pinch, and Rivera makes sense as a right handed pinch hit option for O'Hearn and if Mounty is not able to come back so I would guess its Rivera as I dont see some combination of Gunnar/Westy/Urias/Holliday not being on the field.

21 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm most concerned about Mayo, more due to lack of position than the early hitting results. 

I still cant figure out where he plays. He doesn't look good anywhere which is somewhat concerning at this point in his career. We're playing Basallo at first in Norfolk so it doesnt look like we have a lot of trust in Mayo playing there and it doesnt look like he can play OF (and we cant play Mayo and Kjerstad in the same OF). So is he just a right handed DH at this point?