With Urias and Westburg back in the lineup...

SouthernBird

This team is  going to be breaking their FUNK at JUST the right time. I am calling it now. The Orioles are making it to the World Series this year if these guys get back into the regular lineup. Not gonna say they will win it just yet but they will be there. Been watching since 1979, and I think the rebound timing will be just about perfect this year.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The best team is probably Philly but no one is that great. 

The healthy 2024 Orioles are great.............but that team is fictional since they can not get on the field at the same time due to injuries.

57 minutes ago, SouthernBird said:

This team is  going to be breaking their FUNK at JUST the right time. I am calling it now. The Orioles are making it to the World Series this year if these guys get back into the regular lineup. Not gonna say they will win it just yet but they will be there. Been watching since 1979, and I think the rebound timing will be just about perfect this year.

Thanks for the optimism, I think Westburg is key for this team to win consistently.

I like this optimism but to me the team needs to show SOMETHING on the field in the next week to further justify it. They could start by, you know, actually winning a series against a real team today, and then clinching this berth ASAP rather than falling backwards into it because none of the other teams are winning either. 

That being said, hard not to crack a little smile looking at today’s lineup and not seeing any obvious, on paper black holes. It does add some hope to the equation for sure. A couple more wins would really stoke that fire. 

I assume we are immediately slotting Westy and Urias into 2b/3b, respectively, for the rest of the way. I'm fine with Holiday not seeing much action from here on, as with Mayo. They'll see ABs off the bench I'm sure, but neither is a defensive replacement. Also happy to get Mountcastle back soon and shore up 1b defense and add another competent RH bat to the lineup. Huge boosts at the right time. Really adding some length and depth back to our lineup.

During all the hullabaloo about the team floundering, way too little was said about fundamental baseball judgement and defense.

In a game a couple days ago, a guy came up to bat with runners on. This guy is all speed and defense, with no power, and bunted for a single. The radio guys pointed out that with a bunt threat at the plate, the defense moves in to anticipate the bunt, but this wasn’t done. He barely beat out the throw. Even two steps in from the defense would have been the difference.

Little flubs like that happen CONSTANTLY, and don’t count as errors, but good teams avoid them without even thinking. The OF collision two days ago. Why did that happen? It shouldn’t have, and wouldn’t have with a good team, yet we’ve had at least three, two of which resulted in serious injury.

Westburg and Urias are both solid players with solid fundamentals. Even if they don’t blaze away at the plate, they haven’t forgotten their defense, and we can hope that will be enough to get us to 90 wins.

9 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

During all the hullabaloo about the team floundering, way too little was said about fundamental baseball judgement and defense.

In a game a couple days ago, a guy came up to bat with runners on. This guy is all speed and defense, with no power, and bunted for a single. The radio guys pointed out that with a bunt threat at the plate, the defense moves in to anticipate the bunt, but this wasn’t done. He barely beat out the throw. Even two steps in from the defense would have been the difference.

Little flubs like that happen CONSTANTLY, and don’t count as errors, but good teams avoid them without even thinking. The OF collision two days ago. Why did that happen? It shouldn’t have, and wouldn’t have with a good team, yet we’ve had at least three, two of which resulted in serious injury.

Westburg and Urias are both solid players with solid fundamentals. Even if they don’t blaze away at the plate, they haven’t forgotten their defense, and we can hope that will be enough to get us to 90 wins.

What two collisions resulted in ‘serious injury’?  Have we even had an OFer injured all year?  Maybe Hays but if so it wasn’t collision related

Mountcastle sore wrist. 
Westburg hit by pitch

Urias sprained ankle

McCann hit by pitch

?????

13 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

What two collisions resulted in ‘serious injury’?  Have we even had an OFer injured all year?  Maybe Hays but if so it wasn’t collision related

Mountcastle sore wrist. 
Westburg hit by pitch

Urias sprained ankle

McCann hit by pitch

?????

Lucky it wasn't as bad as this one.