Injuries have sucked, the pen has been an issue but is Adley the biggest problem?

Sports Guy

Adley was worth 5.7 fWAR in his first season…5.4 fWAR last year and 2.8 this year.

Despite all the injuries and the inconsistent bullpen, if Adley is his normal self, I think the Os have a great chance to win the division.

His drop off has been incredible. He disappointed last year, as many felt he was in for a 7+ WAR season but he was still really good.

This year, at least since July 1, he has been one of the worst players in MLB. 350 players have at least 100 at bats since July 1. Only 28 had a worse OPS than Adley did.

Whatever happens the rest of the playoffs, he has to get fixed.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the big outlets alluded to a mid season hand injury. Though I have watched over 150 games, I can’t pinpoint the incident, though an injury or some sort makes sense. A player of his caliber doesn’t fall off a cliff for no reason. 

3 minutes ago, Teddy OBP said:

Don’t you think it’s likely he’s hiding an injury? I feel like we’re going to hear something about his hand the day after the season ends.

It would be a relief to know it’s been a nagging injury affecting Adley’s play and it’s not a possible permanent regression in his game. 

I don’t know about the biggest problem, but Adley’s three month slump has been a very big problem.  Whatever the issue is, I hope the 2025 version of Adley is back to what we saw for 2.5 years rather than what we saw July - September.  

5 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

Adley looks slow, old, and terrible. They’ll say he’s been fighting injuries but I’m not sure I buy it. I think he’s better than this but not by much. 

Maybe his terrible play makes it seems worse, but has he put on 50 pounds? He looks like he’s aged about 7 or 8 years. Some people just age quicker than others unfortunately. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Will Gunnar, Adley and company ever win a single playoff game in an Os uniform? It’s become a valid question. Nothing leads me to believe that they will. 
    • Norby is RH. What we needed were LH bats against Ragan's reverse splits.  Norby's .732 is lower than Urias's .745. I don't see any reason to think his bat would have been the difference, and Urias was excellent in the field today.
    • 41.5k. For a last minute day/time before the end of a work day with crappy weather. Pretty damn solid for a WC game.
    • They were saving him for when the thought he was needed most with lefties up they probably pull it so going 1st to 3rd in Camden Yards isn’t usually a smart move with right fielders so close.   If it was to pinch run or possibly have to hit.  They were two spots away from getting to the pitcher spot where you would want a lefty to face Ercg.  As I have said lefties up you like to leave the hole between first and second unless you know it is an easy steal.  If he tries to steal and gets thrown out people are mad you made an out on the base paths and didn’t give the hitters a chance.  It all risk reward.  
    • Yeah after a rough stretch there Burnes has certainly turned things around. Depending what they do in the off season this rotation is going to be a mess with no Burnes, Bradish and with GRod always breaking down and then add this non clutch hitting offense in there to boot and I say Elias has his work cut out for him  big time to get this team back to the playoffs.. I know in my mind I'm a what have you done for me lately guy and this second half is what will stick in my mind not 2023 or the first half. 
    • or at DH, since apparently we don't have someone who can hit to play DH
    • You have left handed batters so you don’t steal to leave open the hole.  They also are not gonna hut a fly ball you can tag up on to right field in Camden Yards.  O’Hearn is a decent runner that has very good baseball instincts it isn’t like it was Jiminez he is pinch running for.  
  • Popular Contributors