I would not pick up O'Hearn 8m option

wildcard

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I think there's a huge case to be made for trading Mounty and keeping O'Hearn as your primary LH 1B, sharing duties with Mayo. Yeah, you lose some defense, no question.

But Mounty has basically given up trying to hit for power, and if you can get a reliever for him in the off-season, you do it. O'Hearn gives you much higher quality ABs than Mounty, and you have to create some room for Mayo. 

Interestingly, it looks like O’Hearn graded out similarly to Mountcastle defensively at 1B in 2023. This year he was much worse though. 

@wildcard How can you watch the ABs of guys swinging at trash and O'Hearn making contact in his ABs and want to remove him from the team? He did exactly what the rest of the lineup should have been doing. He takes actual ABs and doesn't strike out. 

It's not even a hesitation for me to pick up the option. Mounty is injury prone and doesn't hit for power anymore, Mayo is an unknown at 1B. This team needs O'Hearn.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 1fingerwillie said:

I see. So they weren't blocked...they just didn't get called up on your timetable.

Did I imagine Holliday getting called up to the Majors in April? I must have as he was blocked.

I told you exactly how they were blocked. If you don’t like it, I don’t care. 

I think the number one priority is getting Adley back on track. I really think Adley thought adding some pounds would help him, but when the dog days of summer hit he found out what that extra weight really did for him. Wear him out. I think he should work hard this offseason and drop 10 to 15 pounds. As an old catcher, I can tell you that will help him. And I never played anywhere near a 162 game schedule. Number two for me is Jackson Holliday. I still believe in this kid, and we have to unlock his obp. obp, speed at the top of the order to pressure defense’s . He doesn’t have to hit a ton of hr’s to have a huge impact on this team . I think he can, and I think he will.

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Move Adley and his ailing back to first base. Get rid of Mounty, get rid of O’Hearn.  Our 26 year old leader is already in the back half of his career from a physical perspective.

I don’t care what happens to Mayo. Sorry, Roy. Tired of trying to fit in guys who haven’t earned anything. 

I don't know that I would be good with the 18 - 22 HRs per Year Adley will provide a a first baseman.   We need more production out of that position. 

10 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

I don't know that I would be good with the 18 - 22 HRs per Year Adley will provide a a first baseman.   We need more production out of that position. 

I don’t care about the homers as much as I care about him getting back to a .365+ OBP. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, interloper said:

@wildcard How can you watch the ABs of guys swinging at trash and O'Hearn making contact in his ABs and want to remove him from the team? He did exactly what the rest of the lineup should have been doing. He takes actual ABs and doesn't strike out. 

It's not even a hesitation for me to pick up the option. Mounty is injury prone and doesn't hit for power anymore, Mayo is an unknown at 1B. This team needs O'Hearn.

Yeah we need more guys like O’Hearn, not less. Love his intensity. He just seems like he’s constantly laser focused and confident — also accepts his platoon role and does his job. Looked like he wanted to kill someone during the benches clearing vs NYY as if he was a hockey enforcer. He has to come back. 

6 hours ago, interloper said:

Go back as read the OP.   Not picking up O'Hearn's option has nothing to do with whether he is on the team or not.   He is not a free agent this off season.    He has not reached 6 years of service time.  He is arb eligible.   

Why would the O's pick up the option for 8m whether he probably makes 5.5m in arbitration?

15 minutes ago, CTBear said:

Yeah we need more guys like O’Hearn, not less. Love his intensity. He just seems like he’s constantly laser focused and confident — also accepts his platoon role and does his job. Looked like he wanted to kill someone during the benches clearing vs NYY as if he was a hockey enforcer. He has to come back. 

Go read the OP again.  I did not say be let go.  I said the O's probably don't need to pay him 8m for this option.   He will earn less in arbitration IMO.

MLBTR are projecting the Mounty will get 6.6m in arbitration.   O'Hearn as a platoon player with less defensive ability  will probably earn less then that in arbitration.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Go back as read the OP.   Not picking up O'Hearn's option has nothing to do with whether he is on the team or not.   He is not a free agent this off season.    He has not reached 6 years of service time.  He is arb eligible.   

Why would the O's pick up the option for 8m whether he probably makes 5.5m in arbitration?

What would be the point of his the team option if it had no meaning?

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

He is not a FA.   His service time is 5.170.  He is arb eligible.

If Mountcastle is projected at 6.6m I can't see O'Hearn getting more than 5.5m. O'Hearn as little defensive value.

There will be discussions about replacing these two but I think Mayo is the future O's 1B.   They just can't go into 2025  ST with Mayo as their best option at 1B. Mayo needs more time at AAA playing 1B IMO.

Why does anyone think mayo can be adequate at any position? He hasn’t shown any defensive ability, and we need good defense.

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What would be the point of his the team option if it had no meaning?

If O'Hearn had a great season in 2024 he might be getting 12M in arbitration.  The option held that to 8m if he had performed to a level to earn it.    But O'Hearn himself said he was disappointed with his 2nd half.