I would not pick up O'Hearn 8m option

wildcard

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If O'Hearn had a great season in 2024 he might be getting 12M in arbitration.  The option held that to 8m if he had performed to a level to earn it.    But O'Hearn himself said he was disappointed with his 2nd half.   

Who goes from $3.5 million to $12 million in arbitration?

Are you sure what you are saying is accurate?

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Go back as read the OP.   Not picking up O'Hearn's option has nothing to do with whether he is on the team or not.   He is not a free agent this off season.    He has not reached 6 years of service time.  He is arb eligible.   

Why would the O's pick up the option for 8m whether he probably makes 5.5m in arbitration?

Is there a definitive MLB source for service time?  

Cot's has him at 4 years, 170 days (i.e. 2 days short of 5 years) going into last season.  If accurate, he is not a FA and would be arbitration eligible if the option was not exercised.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/baltimore-orioles/

But Fangraphs has him at 5 years and 2 days going into last season.  If accurate, he would be a free agent if the option is not picked up.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/orioles

If anyone has definitive guidance, I'd like to know.  Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He also said in today’s presser that Mayo never played OF through HS…mentioned he can already play 3B at the ML level and will move around based on team needs. RF has been discussed but infield is Mayo’s (outlook)

35 minutes ago, EricK said:

Is there a definitive MLB source for service time?  

Cot's has him at 4 years, 170 days (i.e. 2 days short of 5 years) going into last season.  If accurate, he is not a FA and would be arbitration eligible if the option was not exercised.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/baltimore-orioles/

But Fangraphs has him at 5 years and 2 days going into last season.  If accurate, he would be a free agent if the option is not picked up.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/orioles

If anyone has definitive guidance, I'd like to know.  Thanks in advance.

That is a good point.  I don't know which source is right.

21 hours ago, waroriole said:

I told you exactly how they were blocked. If you don’t like it, I don’t care. 

You said Holliday was blocked by Urias/Mateo. Its not that I don't like it...it is just factually incorrect. Jackson Holliday was called up to the majors in April of this year. He was given the starting 2nd base job. Please explain how Urias or Mateo blocked him. I expect you will respond with another cowardly "if you don't like it..." because in fact you know you are wrong.

32 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

You said Holliday was blocked by Urias/Mateo. Its not that I don't like it...it is just factually incorrect. Jackson Holliday was called up to the majors in April of this year. He was given the starting 2nd base job. Please explain how Urias or Mateo blocked him. I expect you will respond with another cowardly "if you don't like it..." because in fact you know you are wrong.

He got 30 ABs. Does he get more if they aren’t resigned? Does he get called up sooner if they’re not here? When did he get called up again the second time? When Mateo got injured. 

33 minutes ago, waroriole said:

He got 30 ABs. Does he get more if they aren’t resigned? Does he get called up sooner if they’re not here? When did he get called up again the second time? When Mateo got injured. 

You're being obtuse.  He would have had the job for good if he had played reasonably well.  He looked completely overmatched in those first 30 AB's so they rightly sent him down.

15 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

You're being obtuse.  He would have had the job for good if he had played reasonably well.  He looked completely overmatched in those first 30 AB's so they rightly sent him down.

And Tony Kemp. Don’t forget he was signed for the purpose of keeping Holliday down. 

19 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

I agree with this.  The answer is simple, Tony Kemp was the guy who was let go to give Holliday his shot.  Mateo and Urias were the backups at that point.  Holliday laid an egg, and the rest is history.  He wasn't blocked by Mateo, only given some time at the start of the season at AAA to get better prepared for the Majors, and maybe some service time manipulation, but it was clear he wasn't ready.

14 minutes ago, waroriole said:

And Tony Kemp. Don’t forget he was signed for the purpose of keeping Holliday down. 

Ha, you finally got it. Yes Tony Kemp (not Urias and Mateo, but Kemp) was blocking Holliday. For TWO weeks. And then they released him because the clear intent was to have Holliday as the starting 2b all year. You will say anything to help your anti Elias narrative. Grow up. Your baseball team lost a game. It will be ok.

5 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

Ha, you finally got it. Yes Tony Kemp (not Urias and Mateo, but Kemp) was blocking Holliday. For TWO weeks. And then they released him because the clear intent was to have Holliday as the starting 2b all year. You will say anything to help your anti Elias narrative. Grow up. Your baseball team lost a game. It will be ok.

Kemp was part of it but bringing back 2 UTIL IF is blocking your best prospect when your manager covets veteranosity. If they aren’t resigned then Holliday gets a longer leash. 

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

Kemp was part of it but bringing back 2 UTIL IF is blocking your best prospect when your manager covets veteranosity. If they aren’t resigned then Holliday gets a longer leash. 

It really does not matter how many times you say it or how many ways.  The Orioles have blocked prospects, but Holiday simply isn't one of em.  He got his shot earlier than anyone.  It din't work out.  Hopefully he will be good to go next year.