Orioles Cannot be Complacent -- Look at History

baltfan

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Showalter had a 5 game playoff losing streak..by all accounts we had good culture under him.  

So many intelligent fans on here yet at the same time, I wonder how many have actually watched baseball for more than 5 minutes. 

Stuff happens. This team was ravaged by injuries and still found a way to 91 wins a playoff birth.

Im as disappointed as anyone. I really thought we would make a run. The problem is KC was an awful matchup for us. I have no question we beat the Yankees….but I hated the matchup of KC. 

The Os pitching was lights out. The BP did a good job yesterday. We got a great start from Burnes and Eflin was shaky yesterday but kept us in it. 

The offense definitely had some bad luck but they also had dumb approaches in key situations. It happens. In a short series, anything can happen and unfortunately, the Os have been on the short end of that.

Is that Hyde fault?  Are we really going to put that on him?  I think that’s absurd.

Buck also showed that he could win in the playoffs.  The team just peaked.  

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Showalter had a 5 game playoff losing streak..by all accounts we had good culture under him.  

So many intelligent fans on here yet at the same time, I wonder how many have actually watched baseball for more than 5 minutes. 

Stuff happens. This team was ravaged by injuries and still found a way to 91 wins a playoff birth.

Im as disappointed as anyone. I really thought we would make a run. The problem is KC was an awful matchup for us. I have no question we beat the Yankees….but I hated the matchup of KC. 

The Os pitching was lights out. The BP did a good job yesterday. We got a great start from Burnes and Eflin was shaky yesterday but kept us in it. 

The offense definitely had some bad luck but they also had dumb approaches in key situations. It happens. In a short series, anything can happen and unfortunately, the Os have been on the short end of that.

Is that Hyde fault?  Are we really going to put that on him?  I think that’s absurd.

Showalter had a 5 game playoff losing streak but he also won the 2012 WC game, lost in 5 games in an extremely close ALDS as the underdog, and swept the 2014 ALDS before that streak. He also never lost to a team in the playoffs that was sub .500 if you take out their record against the worst team of all time. 

The injuries were brutal and the offense sucked. That’s not on Hyde. But again, the team seemed mentally broken the last 3 months and never recovered. I really don’t care if he stays or is gone, but what happens if they start next year the same way they finished last year? Or what happens if they miss the playoffs or make them and completely flop again? You can’t just waste another year. Not saying bringing him back would be a waste. You just hope that this time next year, there’s no questioning if they should have made a change. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Two things can be true at once. The team got to 91 wins but as has been discussed ad nauseum, that was propped up by the play during April and may. As we all know they were a sub 500 team in the second half. The injuries were primarily to the starting pitching and it was the offense that checked out.

the approach in the Royals series was the same approach we saw throughout most of August and September. An inability to score runs and a poor 2 strike approach. The strikeouts in this series were magnified as so many took place key RISP situations.

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Two things can be true at once. The team got to 91 wins but as has been discussed ad nauseum, that was propped up by the play during April and may. As we all know they were a sub 500 team in the second half. The injuries were primarily to the starting pitching and it was the offense that checked out.

the approach in the Royals series was the same approach we saw throughout most of August and September. An inability to score runs and a poor 2 strike approach. The strikeouts in this series were magnified as so many took place key RISP situations.

4 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Giant pass on Santander.

Why? He's not the most athletic outfielder, but the guy hit 45 homers. 

I think they should at least try and keep the guy. Maybe not break the bank, but they should try and keep him. 

Just now, wickedsolo said:

Why? He's not the most athletic outfielder, but the guy hit 45 homers. 

I think they should at least try and keep the guy. Maybe not break the bank, but they should try and keep him. 

He’s a one dimensional flawed hitter. Zero plate discipline which was evident in the Royals series. Yes he’ll hit Homers but this team desperately needs a reboot of its approach and let someone else pay him. If we are in fact going to spend in free agency, I’m sure everyone would agree resources would be bette spent elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

David Shoenfeld from ESPN's offseason prediction for us:

"Offseason prediction: The Orioles have hard-hitting Samuel Basallo close to the majors as well, after he reached Triple-A. But there's room for all these guys: Holliday to second, Westburg to third, Mayo to first, Kjerstad in the outfield and Basallo as a catcher/DH/first baseman. I don't think they spend for either Burnes or Santander and will definitely turn down Jimenez's option. They'll trade Mountcastle or O'Hearn to save some money, free up a spot and keep all the kids, while signing a second-tier starting pitcher and maybe some bullpen help (remember, Felix Bautista should be back from Tommy John surgery). That's unlikely to please Orioles fans. -- David Schoenfield"

This will not get it done.

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

"Offseason prediction: The Orioles have hard-hitting Samuel Basallo close to the majors as well, after he reached Triple-A. But there's room for all these guys: Holliday to second, Westburg to third, Mayo to first, Kjerstad in the outfield and Basallo as a catcher/DH/first baseman. I don't think they spend for either Burnes or Santander and will definitely turn down Jimenez's option. They'll trade Mountcastle or O'Hearn to save some money, free up a spot and keep all the kids, while signing a second-tier starting pitcher and maybe some bullpen help (remember, Felix Bautista should be back from Tommy John surgery). That's unlikely to please Orioles fans. -- David Schoenfield"

You have to admit it's a pretty good plan for John Angeloses Orioles.

15 minutes ago, wickedsolo said:

They need to find a way to keep Corbin and Santander. 

I disagree on Santander. And I was someone advocating for his resigning at certain parts of the regular season. However, it has become clear that his free swinging/swing for the fences every single AB and situation approach does not lend itself to postseason success. He makes it too easy to get himself out by making so many poor swing decisions on pitches way out of the zone.

6 minutes ago, baltfan said:

If this is the plan. It will tell me everything that I need to know in terms of whether or not that the bar is to win a championship, or if they are aiming for a good, cheap team.