Wieters

VC@WilliamMary

Only if they panic, I still contend if they hold firm at the amounts I suggest there is no way he goes back to school and kills a year of development time. Especially when it's a crapshoot that he'll get more than that next year.

It's not about development time. It's about money.

The impetus is on the O's, not Wieters.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not paying too much attention to this issue until tomorrow at midnight. If Wieters isn't signed by then, then I'll ***** and moan about it. Until then, none of these articles mean anything to me, just a lot of posturing and speculation.

I agree, once I hear the fat lady humming I will begin to bash the Orioles and if they offered him a more then fair contract I wont bash them at all I will just chalk it up to excessive greed.

And you know, i bet it is unlikely we get Arrieta done and that was supposedly pretty much done on draft day.

So, we end up with 1 player in the first 5 rounds of the draft at this point...That is unreal.

For a team that has a farm system that is in the bottom third of the league, has very little positional talent and is in great need for a big influx of talent, that is just awful and very damaging.

And you know, i bet it is unlikely we get Arrieta done and that was supposedly pretty much done on draft day.

So, we end up with 1 player in the first 5 rounds of the draft at this point...That is unreal.

For a team that has a farm system that is in the bottom third of the league, has very little positional talent and is in great need for a big influx of talent, that is just awful and very damaging.

Seriously. It's beyond a joke. We screw ourselves out of two picks in the first five rounds, and we go and screw up the signings of two guys we actually were able to draft. If we fail to sign both of these guys I really think it'll be a new low for this organization. Evening failing to sign one is going to bother me quite a bit.

Almost as important as the influx of much needed talent into the farm system is the negative P.R. that the franchise will take if this doesn't get done.

You can see it here first hand but the fan base just can't take any more bad news. McPhail generated alot of support with out doing any thing because he was supposed to be the "Baseball Guy" that would come in and be able to control Angelos's delusions of running the club. I know that he wasn't on board for the draft but you can't just waste a year when fans are as fed up as we are...

PUMA

The value of this compensation pick will certainly be hurt if several of these teams don't sign their own first rounders. As I understand it, teams get a comensation pick one spot lower than the draft pick that they used to draft the player that they did not sign.

This will impact directly the draft pick the Orioles will have as a result of the 2007 season. I see it like this if all current unsigned players don't sign. Parentheses for current 2007 standings which are subject to change...

1st - 2007 worst record (Devil Rays)

2nd - D-Rays Comp pick for David Price

3rd - Royals Comp pick for Mike Moustakas

4th - Cubs Comp pick for Josh Vitters

5th - 2007 2nd worst record (Pirates)

6th - O's Comp pick for Matt Wieters

7th - 2007 3rd worst record (Reds)

8th - 2007 4th worst record (Giants)

9th - Rockies Comp pick for Casey Weathers

10th - D-Backs Comp pick for Jarrod Parker

11th - Giants Comp pick for Madison Bumgardner

12th - Mariners Comp pick for Phillip Aumont

13th - Marlins Comp pick for Matt Dominguez

14th - 2007 5th worst record (Rangers)

15th - 2007 6th worst record (Royals)

16th - 2007 7th worst record (Nationals)

17th - 2007 8th worst record (O's or White Sox)

18th - Rangers Comp pick for Blake Beaven

19th - Cardinals Comp pick for Peter Kozma

20th - Phillies Comp pick for Joe Savery

21st - 2007 9th worst record (O's or White Sox)

This is all very subject to change based on who signs and and how the season finishes out but the O's top ten pick for next year could be lower than the 20th pick.

PUMA

If we don't sign Wieters the only way for the O's to possibly come out ahead with this strategy is to literally tank the rest of the season so they can get a draft pick close to where they had Wieters. Which would mean having the 3rd or 4th worst record in the majors...

Seriously. It's beyond a joke. We screw ourselves out of two picks in the first five rounds, and we go and screw up the signings of two guys we actually were able to draft. If we fail to sign both of these guys I really think it'll be a new low for this organization. Evening failing to sign one is going to bother me quite a bit.

The thing is, we drafted Arrieta knowing he would cost more but because we didn't have those second and third round picks(and no compensation picks), we had the extra money.

When you look at all the evidence, if these guys don't get signed, it is all on MacPhail.

If we don't sign Wieters the only way for the O's to possibly come out ahead with this strategy is to literally tank the rest of the season so they can get a draft pick close to where they had Wieters. Which would mean having the 3rd or 4th worst record in the majors...

What difference will that make? So we can pick high and NOT sign that guy too? I am so fed up with this organization that I cannot see straight.

I hope those that screamed for Peter to step down (me included at times) are happy with the result!!!!!!!!!:mad:

It would be terrible and it would be an embarassment but it wouldn't be the end of the world... They'd have the number 6 pick next year and another top 10 or 15 pick as well. They'd just have to draft players they can sign... Instead of drafting a slot busting Jeffrey Hammonds, draft a Derek Jeter instead... Instead of drafting a slot busting Stephen Drew, draft a Billy Rowell instead. The world as we know it would not end tommorrow night at midnight if we fail to sign Wieters. Which BTW is not going to happen IMO. I really believe our panic and frustration right now will end up being as ridiculous as the panic on Diamondbackhangout and Angelshangout would of been two years ago at the deadline.

And then what? We have two high picks we cant sign next year? Get it done now.

It would be terrible and it would be an embarassment but it wouldn't be the end of the world... They'd have the number 6 pick next year and another top 10 or 15 pick as well. They'd just have to draft players they can sign... Instead of drafting a slot busting Jeffrey Hammonds, draft a Derek Jeter instead... Instead of drafting a slot busting Stephen Drew, draft a Billy Rowell instead. The world as we know it would not end tommorrow night at midnight if we fail to sign Wieters.

Well if Jordan leaves, as Tony think he might, probably won't have that much confidence in who is drafted.

Liable to end up with another Chris Smith.

What difference will that make? So we can pick high and NOT sign that guy too? I am so fed up with this organization that I cannot see straight.

I hope those that screamed for Peter to step down (me included at times) are happy with the result!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Because Peter was so much better. :rolleyes: Who do you think hired McPhail? You don't think Angelos would hire someone that wouldn't execute his gameplan do you?

Archived