who are your top choices for pick number #5?

Mine

1. Strasburg. Obviously he'll have already been taken 4 picks earlier!

2. Ackley. The surest hitter in the draft. He'll be gone too, though...

3. Scheppers. I'm buying into the hype. 97 MPH, vicious slider, being hailed as "Strasburg-lite"....He might disappear before we pick too....

4. Green. High risk/High Reward pick. You MIGHT get a power hitting shortstop with middle of the order pop, OR you MIGHT get a weak-hitting third baseman!

So who does that leave?

Crow. Certainly will get some consideration, but he's not who I'd want...

Matzek/Purke/Miller- all projectable high school pitchers, Matzek is probably most tempting.

Poythress- VERY one-dimensional. Can only play 1B, right-handed power hitter. (But at least you know exactly what you are getting! And that may not be such a bad thing!)

My pick (if available)- Donovan Tate. He's a "tools" pick with some risk, and he'll need to be lured away his football committment to UNC. Plus, it will take a while for him to fully develop, and he might not develop as we'd hope - like Darnell McDonald...But that's who I'm going with right now.

Your thoughts out there in Birdland?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You would rather have Ackley, Matzek and Pruke than Strasburg?

Strasburg is gone, why even put him on your wish list. Its like the hot cheerleader in HS you can look, but you have 0 chance.

Strasburg is gone, why even put him on your wish list. Its like the hot cheerleader in HS you can look, but you have 0 chance.

Bingo.

And I take Ackley over Strasburg anyway as he will have the longer, more productive career IMO.

You would rather have Ackley, Matzek and Pruke than Strasburg?

The question is who we would want at #5, there is NO chance Strasburg slips, the Nats are taking him #1. Any one of the rest could fall to 5 though depending on tons of variables.

I'd say Ackley, Matzek, Crow, Scheppers in that order.

Archived