Berken - what did you think?

McLovin

Well, you said this is the type of performance you expected from Berken. So, maybe 3 walks in 5 IP sometimes and maybe 2 walks in 7 IP some other times. Would you expect much higher than a 3 BB or 3.5 per 9 IP walk rate from him at the ML level? Just asking.

Man what is your problem? Crawdad has obviously seen the kid a bunch. Even I saw him in college. My guess is you've seen him once. So you don't want to rush a judgment on him, which is fine. But seeing as how Crawdad has seen him (and runs a website that's main function is SCOUTING), I'd be much more inclined to take his opinion over yours.

For the record, I agree that he's going to have a tough time sticking as a starter. But he's got a shot.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ump squeezed him tonight and the weather as DT said was terrible. Very good effort for his first game. To continue on the team playing better since Eaton was released.........they will also improve when Walker is released or traded.........AM is making changes.......JW's time is almost up.

I was at the game last night and the weather was miserable for sure. A constant mist/light rain the entire game. Maybe the weather was effecting his grip on the ball? I was sitting in LF (section 82) so it was hard for me to say if the ump was squeezing him or not, but the one thing I did notice was he threw alot of pitches. There were several times where he got ahead in the count 0-2 only to see him let the hitter get back into the count. Your ahead in the count no need to get cute, I think if he can stay aggressive that could help him out and keep his pitch count down.

The JB vs BB discussion is very interesting...Judging by their peripherals, JB is the better long term bet as a starter...He gets more K's, doesn't walk many and I don't believe he gave up many homers.

What I am not sure about is the GB rate...That is BB's saving grace.

Ultimately, I would guess neither is a long term bet as a starter, especially with the talent we have around them but they may be able to eat some innings and stop us from adding more Eatons over the next year or so.

This is right on IMHO. Both Bergesen and Berken will most likely settle into solid relievers on a good club (hopefully the Orioles) but could add value as back of the rotation kind of guys if needed. Bergesen's stuff won't allow him to go deep into games too often and Berken's track record suggests he tires by the 5th/6th inning.

The best part with these guys is the fact that they are showing they can get big league hitter out and that they can part of the future here or part of a package for 3B/SS of the future kind of guy we still probably need.

Like a few people have said, when these guys are your late teens/early 20s prospects things are looking up.

What would our pitching staff look like if Bergesen and Berken were in that bullpen with Tillman, Arrieta and Matusz in the rotation along with Guthrie? Maybe one of them stays on as the 5th starter or maybe Zach Britton continues to come on fast and finds himself in that rotation as well?

The Orioles have very deep depth in pitching prospects right now and Bergesen and Berken are just the tip of the pitching iceberg.

What I liked most about both Berken and Bergeson is that when they do get

2 strikes, they tend to be in or very near the zone. Some of our prospects

in the past would get to 0-2 and then be way out of the zone with their next offerings. I also liked that Berken has a few different pitches to throw and is not afraid to use them.

What would our pitching staff look like if Bergesen and Berken were in that bullpen with Tillman, Arrieta and Matusz in the rotation along with Guthrie? Maybe one of them stays on as the 5th starter or maybe Zach Britton continues to come on fast and finds himself in that rotation as well?

The Orioles have very deep depth in pitching prospects right now and Bergesen and Berken are just the tip of the pitching iceberg.

Hee hee. What about David Hernandez? What about Brandon Erbe? What about Troy Patton? It's a great time to be an Oriole fan if you can just look down the road and see the possibilities.

Hee hee. What about David Hernandez? What about Brandon Erbe? What about Troy Patton? It's a great time to be an Oriole fan if you can just look down the road and see the possibilities.

Absolutely.. Didn't mean to skip them since all will be in this picture in the next few years. It's a great problem to have, isn't it? :D

Guest rochester

Wow just keep em coming! Maybe this is why DT calls them "The Cavalry." - doesn't want to leave anyone out when he talks about them...

I only saw the highlights, but I will agree with the poster(s) who said he could be a #5 on a decent team. If not, I think he could fill in nicely as the longman spot-starter in the bullpen.

And a #5 on a decent team could be a #2 on the 2009 Orioles. So it's all about perspective.

And a #5 on a decent team could be a #2 on the 2009 Orioles. So it's all about perspective.

Agreed. However, I expect the Orioles to be a competitive team going forward so if we're projecting our pitchers for competitive teams, Berken doesn't really factor into the rotation based on the potential of the other guys we have... but it's always nice to have some back-up options.

Archived