Berken - what did you think?

McLovin

I thought he did pretty well, considering the conditions and it was his very first appearance with the O's. I also felt he got squeezed big time by the ump. Jason got zero borderline pitches. He battled and managed to work his way out of the jams he faced. Encouraging signs for the future in that it looks like we have another pitcher who will not wilt when things get tricky.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He could be a 5th starter on an ok team. Got hit hard in the first..but I liked the way he worked out of jams.

I thought Berken was great for his debut.

3 of the hits he gave up tonight were flares where the hitter was fooled. He had some bad luck as any of those could easily have been pop ups or easy fly outs instead.

You have to love a pitcher that throws as many strikes as Berken did tonight. He should only improve as a pitcher as he works under Kranitz. Pitchers with the kind of pinpoint control that Berken and Bergesen have can be extremely effective if they pitch to all parts of the zone and learn to vary speeds.

Looked like he was at least AROUND the zone most of the night. Wasn't impressed with secondary pitches. I didn't think he looked like a guy who couldn't pitch in the 6th or 7th inning. I just think it would be best if that was as a reliever.

He was awful in the first--two gappers and a screaming line drive to Huff in the first three at bats. He made better pitches after that, but was lucky to give up only two runs.

On the other hand--he had a very unsympathetic guy working behind the plate tonight. I thought he made some beautiful two strike pitches on the corners but didn't get any of them called strikes. He could have had 4-5 K's with a different home plate umpire.

Some of his breaking/offspeed stuff looked good; I was less impressed with his fastball movement. Like Bergesen he'll probably wind up as a good reliever but I'm happy to have him in the rotation for now, and who knows.

His fastball frequently seemed quite straight.

He throws a nice sinker that sits around 92-93 mph that I saw a few times tonight, but he does throw a four seamer as well.

I think he's got the stuff to be a back of the rotation guy, just based on what I saw from him tonight. His breaking stuff isn't superlative, but it's good enough given his fastball command.

I also was impressed by his changeup, he seems willing to throw it in almost any count.

As Frobby stated earlier, he's certainly better than Adam Eaton.

And you've concluded this from one start?

No, from this start, his minor league record, and his college days.

:rolleyes:

I have a feeling I am in for a conversation exactly like the one I had on here after Bergesen's debut . . . and after we missed out on Khalil Greene . . . and after . . .

He did well tonight, but, eh, he is who he is. Maybe one day he'll have an award named after him. Eh. I went to Clemson . . . I really like Jason Berken. And, yeah, I don't think he has much of a future as a starter.

I have no idea what the Khalil Greene comment is about. Obviously I remember the conversation after the Bergesen debut. Berken was just ok overall tonight but he did throw four pitches for strikes as advertised. He threw a little harder than I expected. Just like hitters often need time to acclimate themselves to the majors, so do pitchers. I think Berken & Bergesen probably both have what it takes to be starters. A lot of it comes down to confidence and location, location, location. I just think your are very premature to make such proclamations as "this is a bullpen guy".

Well, he's entitled to his opinion. Bergesen and Berken were ranked our 18th and 21st best prospects right here on OH, with Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta, Spoone, Britton, Erbe, Hernandez, Patton and Bundy all ahead of them. Someone's not going to be in the rotation.

Andy MacPhail :

Asked if he's as excited for Wieters' arrival as he's been for any prospect, MacPhail said, "You try to temper it. This is a difficult league. You've got to go through a lot of adjustments, and with that excitement, you run the risk of disappointment that he doesn't hit three four-run home runs in his first game. We're delighted to have him here. We're comfortable with the timing and we're excited, but I don't want to put too much of 'the most excited.' In my career, I've seen a lot of good, young players make their debuts and it's always exciting, and the one after Matt will be exciting. Jason Berken was exciting."

Yet another reason to appreciate MacPhail.

On a night where the biggest story is easily Wieters' impending promotion, AM gives a nod to Jason Berken, who just lived a childhood dream.

Thank you, Andy MacPhail.

:clap3:

I have no idea what the Khalil Greene comment is about. Obviously I remember the conversation after the Bergesen debut. Berken was just ok overall tonight but he did throw four pitches for strikes as advertised. He threw a little harder than I expected. Just like hitters often need time to acclimate themselves to the majors, so do pitchers. I think Berken & Bergesen probably both have what it takes to be starters. A lot of it comes down to confidence and location, location, location. I just think your are very premature to make such proclamations as "this is a bullpen guy".

Well, I am not etching things in stone and am not sure why you hang so dearly to my words, but, yeah, he looks like a middle reliever. Tonight was a good result, but not a nice path. He has issues with control and command. He is not good with location. Also, batters were drawing a bead on him more as they saw him a second time. None of it was surprising.

Seems like he's saying that Berken & Bergesen are nothing more than bullpen guys, in his opinion, not just on the O's but in general.

I think bullpen guys are valuable, so I don't agree with the connotation you make by stating "nothing more than bullpen guys." Maybe you are disappointed if they wind up being middle relievers, I'm not.

They probably have a better chance as backend rotation guys in a large NL park.

Archived