Ackley could drop?

Seattle may be a possiblity for Tyler Matzek.

If you think about it Matzek to the Mariners makes a ton of sense. The Mariners don't really have a ton of front line starter prospects in their organization. Bedard is sure to leave as a FA and Aumont is now a closer. And Matzek is probably the best prep arm in the draft.

Do they go with a reverse Orioles draft and take the best hitting prospect available in a weak draft for hitting or do they take advantage of a bunch of top arms and take their pick?

I could see a scenario (though it might be wishful thinking) where SD passes on Ackley due to signability, ditto for the Pirates and he falls into the Orioles' lap.

It happened to them when they were allowed to select Matt Wieters with the 5th pick in 2007. Maybe just maybe it could happen again...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think about it Matzek to the Mariners makes a ton of sense. The Mariners don't really have a ton of front line starter prospects in their organization. Bedard is sure to leave as a FA and Aumont is now a closer. And Matzek is probably the best prep arm in the draft.

Do they go with a reverse Orioles draft and take the best hitting prospect available in a weak draft for hitting or do they take advantage of a bunch of top arms and take their pick?

I could see a scenario (though it might be wishful thinking) where SD passes on Ackley due to signability, ditto for the Pirates and he falls into the Orioles' lap.

It happened to them when they were allowed to select Matt Wieters with the 5th pick in 2007. Maybe just maybe it could happen again...

Unfortunately, the more likely implication of that article is that Matzek isn't around for the O's. If Seattle doesn't take Ackley, SD probably will.

Nice article BTW.

Ehhh, I don't know if I agree with that. Call me crazy but I have a top 4 in this draft (Strasburg, Ackley, Matzek and Crow). Scheppers doesn't make it 5 only because of injury concerns.

I don't necessarily think the dropoff is huge to the next group of players, but I do think they're on a slightly lower tier.

I don't think this is as far fetched a scenario as it was even a few weeks ago. Matzek is moving up like a rocket - Keith Law's latest blog says 98mph on FB and polished making him #1 prep arm. Seattle may identify him as signable and best player on the board. San Diego needs ML ready affordable pitching and Crow makes a ton of sense for them. Pittsburgh is really the key - tough for them to pass on Ackley but they may not want to go thru the "Boras process" again this year and may have a deal with the catcher Tony Sanchez (according to Law's latest mock draf they may have a deal in place). So yes this could be 2007 all over again. If Ackley is there would love to be a fly on the wall in O's draft central as they would be a happy group - JJ loves Ackley. Can you say Chase Utley II - future power hitting 2b?

I don't think this is as far fetched a scenario as it was even a few weeks ago. Matzek is moving up like a rocket - Keith Law's latest blog says 98mph on FB and polished making him #1 prep arm. Seattle may identify him as signable and best player on the board. San Diego needs ML ready affordable pitching and Crow makes a ton of sense for them. Pittsburgh is really the key - tough for them to pass on Ackley but they may not want to go thru the "Boras process" again this year and may have a deal with the catcher Tony Sanchez (according to Law's latest mock draf they may have a deal in place). So yes this could be 2007 all over again. If Ackley is there would love to be a fly on the wall in O's draft central as they would be a happy group - JJ loves Ackley. Can you say Chase Utley II - future power hitting 2b?

I've also heard comparisons made to Tony Gwynn.

I suppose your keyboard is safe man. I'm with you, I'd be shocked. But not eat a keyboard shocked.

I think I've dropped the "I'd eat my keyboard" thing once before, when Jon Heyman linked us with Manny Ramirez.

I'm pretty confident that I won't be eating my keyboard.

Every single thing that I've heard has indicated that if Seattle inexplicably passes on Ackley, there's zippy chance San Diego does.

Archived