Adam LaRoche to Red Sox

sakata_catching

MLB needs to take over that franchise (Pirates, not Bandwagoners) I don't think they have any plan, not even a bad one.

This is embarrassingly wrong. They are getting more talent in the system by trading their vets. Huntington is far smarter than you or I.

This is embarrassingly wrong. They are getting more talent in the system by trading their vets. Huntington is far smarter than you or I.

I think they are getting a lot of players...not sure how much talent those players have. I think most "experts" believe that the return they've received hasn't been all that great.

I wonder who Boston is going to send them? :confused:

I think they are getting a lot of players...not sure how much talent those players have. I think most "experts" believe that the return they've received hasn't been all that great.

I wonder who Boston is going to send them? :confused:

From Joe Sheehan's chat last week:

TonyMollica (Athens, Ohio): Hi Joe. Thanks for chatting with us! What do you think of the recent trades made by the Pirates?

Joe Sheehan: I like them. The players on the team as of six weeks ago were never going to be part of a championship team in Pittsburgh. The players acquired are more likely to be, and that's what matters. Some financial savings on a major-league roster not good enough to win doesn't hurt. They needed upside, and they traded for it. They're finally doing what needed done.

Really? I would be shocked if the Pirates wanted Lugo. His contract alone would scare them off, not to mention the fact that they've already got a SS better than him (Jack Wilson).

It would be a swap of bad contracts.

Jack Wilson is as good as gone, and they don't have anyone to fill the hole at short once he's dealt.

Theres no way I take on Lugo if i'm the Bucs. AS previously stated, Wilson is better, and his salary is outrageous. At first i was thinking Penny, but then realized that wouldve already been reported and that Penny is probably going to a team in the postseason race.

Sorry, but I hated the Morgan deal, despite the "upside" and I'll wait and see but they seem to be the Sox version of the KC A's, so I expect little there as well.

I'll be "embarrassed" if the Pirates actually keep some of these gems and start to build something. The track record is that the Pirates are always flipping players and gaining no ground. As soon as any young guy begins to show something and might wish to be paid, they trade him. They've been "rebuilding" longer than we have. Rinse and repeat.

It would be a swap of bad contracts.

Jack Wilson is as good as gone, and they don't have anyone to fill the hole at short once he's dealt.

Was Adam LaRoche a bad contract? I don't know his contract details. I thought he was making less than Lugo...not to mention that he's a better player.

Sorry, but I hated the Morgan deal, despite the "upside" and I'll wait and see but they seem to be the Sox version of the KC A's, so I expect little there as well.

I'll be "embarrassed" if the Pirates actually keep some of these gems and start to build something. The track record is that the Pirates are always flipping players and gaining no ground. As soon as any young guy begins to show something and might wish to be paid, they trade him. They've been "rebuilding" longer than we have. Rinse and repeat.

We'll have to just disagree, but you can't hold the current front office responsible for the past failures. And epic fails they were, no question.

Its similar to questioning Tampa Bay's current front office in 2006. They got the talent in the system first by any means, then sorted out the exact roster as time went on.

We'll have to just disagree, but you can't hold the current front office responsible for the past failures. And epic fails they were, no question.

Its similar to questioning Tampa Bay's current front office in 2006. They got the talent in the system first by any means, then sorted out the exact roster as time went on.

Agreed. I just don't think ownership in Pittsburgh has any interest in doing more than the minimum.

OTOH, I didn't realize that LaRoche was hitting quite as cr*ppily as he is this year. Makes Huff almost all-star like.

Was Adam LaRoche a bad contract? I don't know his contract details. I thought he was making less than Lugo...not to mention that he's a better player.

1 year, $7M. Very bad for his current level of production (and Pittsburgh payroll constraints), though he's historically shown himself capable of going on a tear and making himself a league average 1st baseman by year's end.

I didn't realize just how bad Lugo's contract is though. Boston would have to throw some money Pittsburgh's way to make that work out.

Archived