Just how good of a prospect is Brandon Waring?

Big Mac

He hit his 19th HR of the season tonight.

He was hitting .272/.350/.501 going into tonights game. He walks at a decent rate and has cut back on the K's since last season.

I also notice he's been playing a lot of 3rd base. Any reports on his defense?

He's a little old for the league at 23, but I think he may be more than a fringe prospect at this point.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if he's a candidate for the AFL. If not, it will be really interesting to see how he fares at AA next year.

Yeah, it should be interesting.

I really thought he was going to struggle at Frederick. He reminded me a lot of Brandon Tripp. Boy, has he proved me wrong.

He hit his 19th HR of the season tonight.

He was hitting .272/.350/.501 going into tonights game. He walks at a decent rate and has cut back on the K's since last season.

I also notice he's been playing a lot of 3rd base. Any reports on his defense?

He's a little old for the league at 23, but I think he may be more than a fringe prospect at this point.

Better late than never. If he starts banging on the majors door around 25 than he is on a good pace, If this board goes crazy over Salazar not being in the majors or not getting the at bats he deserves, than I could only imagine if Waring were putting number's like he is now at AAA, and only being 25, all this is hypithetical though. I consider him a prospect, if he can keep on developing his plate discipline, then he can definatly be considered a prospect. Reimold did not reach the majors until he was 25, I am not going to count out a guy like Waring just because he is a little older.

Seems like a mistake keeping Waring and Widlansky down in A+ the whole year. Both could have easily been moved up to get their development moved along.

Widlansky started his season late and has played only 55 games. And personally, I'm fine with 1 step at a time with these guys. It's not like Waring is hitting .300+. He's clearly got good power but he strikes out a lot and has things to work on.

A lot of good bats in Frederick, next year at Bowie should be fun to watch too. It seems like many of our prospects hit better at Bowie than at Frederick (Markakis, Reimold and Snyder are recent examples).

AA will be a good test for most of that Frederick offense - including Waring.

Adams with two more hits tonight has 6 xbhs, 5 BBs and 7 Ks in his last 10 games with a season BA over .300 and season's OBP over .362.

Adams can flat out rake. I just wish he had a bit more power, because there's no way he sticks as a middle infielder.

AA will be a good test for most of that Frederick offense - including Waring.

Adams with two more hits tonight has 6 xbhs, 5 BBs and 7 Ks in his last 10 games with a season BA over .300 and season's OBP over .362.

Agree that AA will be an interesting team to watch next year. Henson had another great night as well to continue his second half surge. Matt Angle continues to be decent in the leadoff spot. And then there's Caleb Joseph.

And maybe I'm looking through rose-colored glasses, but I'm not ready to give up on Adams at 2B yet. He has the ability to make all of the plays. Can he get the conistency?

How is Waring at 3rd?

Someone didn't read the Frederick scouting report on the front page now did he? ;)

He's fine over there if you ask me. Not a gold glover, but a guy who looks like he won't kill you and who may make some amazing throws due to a big arm.

I'm starting to think Mark Reynolds might be a decent comp for his upside.

I'm starting to think Mark Reynolds might be a decent comp for his upside.
Defensively or overall? Because Mark Reynolds has 33 HR and a .968 OPS so far this season.

If the 3rd guy we got back for Ramon Hernandez can become something like that, then holy crap we need to build a Andy MacPhail statue and put it on the freaking pitcher's mound.

I was going to ask the same question! I hope he means both
I hadn't realized how solid of a season Waring is having. 19 HR and an .856 OPS is real nice. At 23 I suppose he is just a tad old for A+, but not so old to discount his numbers very much. Hopefully he can continue the progress next year at AA. If he turns into anything even remotely useful, that trade will be a coup as opposed to just a nice salary dump as it already is.

Archived