Just how good of a prospect is Brandon Waring?

Big Mac

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the kind of year Waring is having. Look at the numbers and where he sits among the Carolina League leaders:

Waring is 1st in doubles (34), 2nd in homers (22), 1st in extra-base hits (58), 1st in RBI (81), 1st in total bases (224), 1st in SLG% (.526), 1st in OPS (.889), 3rd in hits (118), 9th in OBP (.363) and was 10th in batting average to start the day (.281 - now tied with Wilmington's Clint Robinson for 9th at .282).

This is the kind of year Waring is having. Look at the numbers and where he sits among the Carolina League leaders:

Waring is 1st in doubles (34), 2nd in homers (22), 1st in extra-base hits (58), 1st in RBI (81), 1st in total bases (224), 1st in SLG% (.526), 1st in OPS (.889), 3rd in hits (118), 9th in OBP (.363) and was 10th in batting average to start the day (.281 - now tied with Wilmington's Clint Robinson for 9th at .282).

And Waring isn't considered to be a "real" prospect why?......:confused: I've seen him a couple of times at Frederick and thought he looked very legit.

And Waring isn't considered to be a "real" prospect why?......:confused: I've seen him a couple of times at Frederick and thought he looked very legit.

Let's just wait to see what he does at the upper levels...That's all most are saying.

Its not that he can't be a good player, its just that he is old for where he is and he has to show he can do this in the upper minors.

If he has a 775ish OPS next year in AA, as a 24 y/o, it won't be that great and you will see why he wasn't considered much more than a potential bench player in the majors.

If he has an 830+ OPS and shows good plate discipline and power, then we may have a late bloomer on our hands.

Probably because he is a 23 year old (24 in January) putting up these numbers. Not that I have a problem with that.

Yeah, I figured it was his age, but he is a college guy and in just his 2nd full pro season. IMO, he's a sleeper that may make a big jump next year. He will start at Bowie next year and if he continues to put up similar numbers, and can cut down on the K's, he could also make the leap up to Norfolk next year. That would eliminate the age factor.....and besides, it's the stats that really matter.

Some interesting quotes from Hebner in the game report last night. He says the O's wanted to take Waring the round after they drafted Matt Angle, but the Reds snapped him up. I wouldn't worry too much about his age. The guy will probably hit for power at any level, but we'll see how his average holds up when he gets to AA.

This is a big question for me. He'd look a lot less "old" right now if he were in AA instead of A ball.

Yes he would, but maybe the O's wanted to get him a full season of very successful ball udner his belt and end it on a good note. If he can maintain his power into the majors, he could be pretty valuable to us. I look at him much like I looked at Reimold. I see a lot of potential, but am not sure how he will do once he is a a MLer. Reimold definitely surprised me, hopefully Waring will as well.

On a side note, I dont remember which baseball writer it was, it was either KLaw or Goldstein I believe who has always gushed about Remiold and always expected him to become an above average OFer, basically what we are seeing today.

I didnt read this entire thread, but why didnt he get a midseason call up to Bowie? Seems deserving

He wasn't playing well enough to be called up. He hit .226/.292/.744 in June and .260/.305/.805 in July. August has been his best month by far.

Yes he would, but maybe the O's wanted to get him a full season of very successful ball udner his belt and end it on a good note. If he can maintain his power into the majors, he could be pretty valuable to us. I look at him much like I looked at Reimold. I see a lot of potential, but am not sure how he will do once he is a a MLer. Reimold definitely surprised me, hopefully Waring will as well.

On a side note, I dont remember which baseball writer it was, it was either KLaw or Goldstein I believe who has always gushed about Remiold and always expected him to become an above average OFer, basically what we are seeing today.

Waring's no Reimold. He's passable at first base and much worse at 3rd. He doesn't have the batting eye of Reimold or anything resembling speed. He's a very good organizational player at this point. And I don't see that changing.

Waring's no Reimold. He's passable at first base and much worse at 3rd. He doesn't have the batting eye of Reimold or anything resembling speed. He's a very good organizational player at this point. And I don't see that changing.

He's much better than an organizational player. That is a player filling spaces in the minors to field complete teams. Waring is still a prospect.

Archived