8/10: A's at O's

PaulFolk

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not watching it, I'm just watching the reactions around here. And jet flybys on Youtube.

The last inning was my last.

I'm watching Chefography.

Im locked in too.

I watch the Food Network and get the gist of whats going on in the O's game by what people are saying on here.

Luke's front hip is out on every single pitch, even when he doesn't swing. He is using his body to try and generate bat speed which doesn't work. His mechanics are completely screwed up. He can only hit pitches on the inside corner right now.

Whose job is it correct this flaw in his swing?

I'd venture it's the job of the hitting coach, a hitting coach the O's have had for lord knows how long and who should've been let go even longer ago.

Luke's front hip is out on every single pitch, even when he doesn't swing. He is using his body to try and generate bat speed which doesn't work. His mechanics are completely screwed up. He can only hit pitches on the inside corner right now.

Even little ol' me noticed that yesterday. He's flying open so bad he's lost. :(

Luke Scott looks absolutely pathetic out there. It's like he forgot how to hit or something.

We are making the A's pitching look pro right now when we should be shoving that crap down their throats... I would not be surprised if we were blanked this game.

Glad I'm going to be in Maryland starting Wed and not in the next few days.

Looks like a freaking scorcher down there...

YAH! Big time! My car wouldn't start tonight, battery dead, thus I'm on here posting instead of being at work tonight... but that's a GOOD thing!

But yeah! It is just NASTY hot and humid tonight. Even still at 9:00, after dark. Tough night for pitchers and everyone else.

Let me ask you this:

Do you really believe that Luke and Crowley haven't been working on just that? Have you heard the announcers talk about how much Luke is working in the cage to correct his issues? I've heard them mention it several times over the past week. If he can't bring the work into the game, how is that the coaches' fault?

I was a lefty hitter and I can tell you that I struggled to fix this problem when it developed. It always started with me from facing lefties who were trying to bust me inside. I'd get a little quick trying to generate some bat speed.

There is a fine line between start the swing by throwing the hands and pop the hips and pull the hips to start the swing. This stuff isn't easy or everyone would do it.

It still sucks that he is struggling so much, but it is what it is.

Just to elaborate from my POV... Crowley isn't in the top 2 or 3... but I think he is a fine hitting coach! A former player, with a well-deserved reputation as a pinch-hit wizard,

:rofl:

Everything I've read says that Crow is THERE 5 am to 5 am. Whenever ANY player wants to get in some extra work, Crow is there. We could do better.... but not MUCH better.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• If every major sport can have reply for impactful calls, then baseball needs to follow suit ASAP.  Yes, we can reply certain things in mlb, but the technology is there and it is being used in the minors with great success for strikes/balls. It makes 0 sense to keep letting awful calls by the umpire impact the outcome of games.
    • Now back to Gunnar, Gunnar is in the midst of most likely the greatest individual season in Orioles history. And we have 21/22 pages on him and what 80 on Holliday? 
    • https://www.mlb.com/news/juan-soto-mookie-betts-lead-second-2024-mvp-award-poll?partnerId=it-20240521-9913924-mlb-1-A&utm_id=it-20240521-9913924-mlb-1-A&lctg=225315104   Article about MVP race. What do those two have or do that Gunnar doesn't?
    • I agree with the part of your post of maybe trying Cowser with his higher OBP and prior saying to get on base at the top of the lineup and maybe moving Gunnar into the 3 hole to give him an opportunity to hit with men on base. And I can even go along with Westburg in the cleanup spot though I would hate to move O’Hearn down in the lineup. But it is clear that those 5 are the best hitters on the team. However, I do not agree with “phasing out” Mullins, Hays, and especially Santander. That’s 3 outfielders with MLB track records (Mullins and Santander have especially good track records). I don’t leave in the fantasy land that we can bring up prospects to outproduce solid MLB guys (right away). The empirical data in 2024 suggests that the notion is a pipe dream more than something that has a lot of merit. Very few (even top prospects in the last couple of years) come to MLB right away, hit the ground running, and been good offensive players. I know fans don’t like hearing this, but it takes time. Elias’ philosophy of “one acclimating young player/prospect/rookie at a time” appears to be the most prudent approach. Our best/most realistic hope for improvement this season IMO lies with 2 things - 1) Finding a a guy or two at the back end of the pen who can get strikeouts consistently/nail things down. 2) One or two of the veteran outfielders breaking out of their slumps and getting things going. 3) Mateo continuing to be a functional offensive player at the bottom of the order. (That last one is particularly hard for me to say/admit because of how much I love Holliday. But right now he is not ready to contribute at the MLB level. And that’s okay because he’s still on 20).
    • This is quite a development if true. Wonder what that might say about Bradfield.  The only way to find out is if Jackson starts getting starts in CF.
    • I doubt Bradfield would be top 50 even with those numbers.  No doubt that Etzel has outplayed Bradfield and has exceeded all expectations, however.  
    • Gunnar has already had 19 more PA than the #2 most (Adley), 22 more PA than the #3 most (Santander), 27 more PA than #4 (Westburg), and 29 more PA than #5 (Mountcastle).  That is just over 1/4 of the season.   Batting him 4th means that he will very often get only 4 PA per game instead of 5, and that 5th PA will take place at a critical time in the 9th inning.  He hits a HR every 12.6 PAs (this year & every 19.9 PA career) so batting him second is coughing up 1-2 HR so far this season, 3rd or 4th is -3HR....and that's in just a little over 1/4 of the season.  So, by moving him to 3rd or 4th you're taking away ~10HR over the course of a full season.    Instead of putting him lower in the line-up, I'd like to see a higher OBP guy in front of him in the 9 spot.  Gunnar has the tools to be a tremendous lead-off hitter.  
  • Popular Contributors