Zach Britton Game Chat

SurhoffRules

Britton pitched two innings and left with what appears to be an apparent injury. Britton threw just 21 pitches, 14 for strikes as he walked one and struck out three. Velocity-wise, Britton was sitting just 88-90, down from his normal 90-94. I'll have more to report on after the game.

I don't like the sound of that. Especially with how well he's going. I'll wait to hear official word before getting too worried.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoulder fatigue... my recorder died, but I'll have more later. Basically he knew something was wrong while warming up and was taken out as a precautionary thing. He's probably done for the year as his next start in Wilmington is essentially meaningless.

I can't help but cringe every time I hear the word 'fatigue.'

I wouldn't worry too much, at this time of year, it can be harmless. Young kids, getting near 150 IP it happens. Just about the same number of innings he threw last season, if his arm says it's time for a break, it's time for a break.

I wouldn't worry too much, at this time of year, it can be harmless. Young kids, getting near 150 IP it happens. Just about the same number of innings he threw last season, if his arm says it's time for a break, it's time for a break.

That's one theory...

It's nothing to really cause a meltdown... it's more or less a chain reaction of a lack of working out due to the hip flexor injury. He's probably done for the year, according to him and Kennie Steenstra, but he should be all set for spring training. Zach's a bit bummed, because he is such a competitor, but he should certainly be proud of his accomplishments. He's put together another fine season, his second full season at high-A ball at age 21 and really stepped into the spotlight and become the most under-the-radar pitcher in the organization.

It's nothing to really cause a meltdown... it's more or less a chain reaction of a lack of working out due to the hip flexor injury. He's probably done for the year, according to him and Kennie Steenstra, but he should be all set for spring training. Zach's a bit bummed, because he is such a competitor, but he should certainly be proud of his accomplishments. He's put together another fine season, his second full season at high-A ball at age 21 and really stepped into the spotlight and become the most under-the-radar pitcher in the organization.

That's about what I figured. Yeah, he'll be ok, I mean he got 140 + IP this year, so he could go 170 next year before they'd worry, and he's had a great season.

Thanks for keeping us updated Adam!

Assuming that's a wrap, here's Britton's final line:

140 IP, 123 H, 64 R, 42 ER, 6 HR, 55 BB, 131 K's, 2.70 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 3.38 GO/AO.

It's pretty hard to find anything not to like in that line. To me the most notable thing in Britton's line is how many unearned runs he allowed. Frederick has a very porous infield: Florimon 35 errors, Henson 28, Waring 18, Adams 17. I'd have to think Britton would be even better if he had a major league defensive infield behind him.

Well, sorry to hear his season end like this, but regardless, its something to be very proud about. He had better be in the top 100 list or Ima be steamed. He gives you everything you look for in a good prospect and who you can project to be a good MLer. He gets better every season, hes a competitor, works hard, has developed 3 very good pitches and keeps the ball in the park, on the ground at that.

Assuming that's a wrap, here's Britton's final line:

140 IP, 123 H, 64 R, 42 ER, 6 HR, 55 BB, 131 K's, 2.70 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 3.38 GO/AO.

It's pretty hard to find anything not to like in that line. To me the most notable thing in Britton's line is how many unearned runs he allowed. Frederick has a very porous infield: Florimon 35 errors, Henson 28, Waring 18, Adams 17. I'd have to think Britton would be even better if he had a major league defensive infield behind him.

Not to say that I don't like it, but I think the walks need to improve. That might be nitpicking though. The incredible thing is the GO/AO of over 3:eektf:. That's ridiculous, and if I'm interpreting the stat correctly should be even higher if Florimon is not his SS next year. However, I would assume he will be. Also, you have to love the HR rate of 1HR per 23 1/3 IP. This GB machine is going to play well in Camden Yards.

Question: Do his strikeouts indicate that he is not being challenged enough in High-A? I ask b/c he's a groundball pitcher and it seems like more guys would be putting the ball in play.

Not to say that I don't like it, but I think the walks need to improve. That might be nitpicking though. The incredible thing is the GO/AO of over 3:eektf:. That's ridiculous, and if I'm interpreting the stat correctly should be even higher if Florimon is not his SS next year. However, I would assume he will be. Also, you have to love the HR rate of 1HR per 23 1/3 IP. This GB machine is going to play well in Camden Yards.

Question: Do his strikeouts indicate that he is not being challenged enough in High-A? I ask b/c he's a groundball pitcher and it seems like more guys would be putting the ball in play.

No no, it means that his secondary pitches are getting better and it follows along what we have been hearing this year. He also jumped his velo up slightly. He now sits where he used to top off at. But his K/9 has improved every year, and it follows along his development of the secondary pitches. He made the slider into a plus pitch and I have heard the changeup is above average as well. As a sinker baller, the K's are a very good thing, if you can get groundouts as well as nearly a K an inning, your sitting pretty nice. He is getting more K's and has a better ERA than Spoone did at the same level in his breakout year. That tells you what kind of season Britton had.

Archived