Could the Angels be after Tejada again?

JakeeO

If the Angels offered a package of:

Erick Aybar, Casey Kotchman, Dallas McPherson, and Erwin Santana for Tejada, and Javy Lopez would you take it?

Though I would love to have Brandon Wood I think I would take this package for Tejada and Lopez. I think it is time to blow it up and go young and this package would go a long way towards getting it done.

I am not sure i would....McPherson has huge question marks and we have Mora at third(McPherson definitely not play first over Kotchman)...Aybar is not much of an offensive threat. I assume he is good defensively.

So, it is Kotchman and Santana for Tejada...I think i would have to pass ALTHOUGH if we felt we HAD to make a deal and this was the best we got, i would take it. I wouldn't just hang onto Tejada if we got this package back.

I guess you DH McPherson and hope Aybar can give you a 340-350 OBP and play great defense.

Wood, Kotchman and Santana or Weaver for Lopez and Tejada is what it would take for me to not go to another team and quickly say yes....Would like to get Shields as well but if not, i wouldn't let it be a deal breaker.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's hard to settle on a defensive stat that tells the whole story. I can't even tell how "rate" is calculated by BP. Right now I'm going with ZR and what my own eyes tell me. How many times this year has Tejada gotten to a ball that surprised you? I can think of one time. How many times has a ball gotten past him that surprised you? It's been at least 15-20 times, I'd guess.

"Rate

A way to look at the fielder's rate of production, equal to 100 plus the number of runs above or below average this fielder is per 100 games. A player with a rate of 110 is 10 runs above average per 100 games, a player with an 87 is 13 runs below average per 100 games, etc. "

"Rate

A way to look at the fielder's rate of production, equal to 100 plus the number of runs above or below average this fielder is per 100 games. A player with a rate of 110 is 10 runs above average per 100 games, a player with an 87 is 13 runs below average per 100 games, etc. "

Yes, but how are they determining "the number of runs above or below average this fielder is?" Unless you know that, the definition is almost meaningless.

Well, i attribute most of that to his knee, although his range is not great.

Well, that to me is the big question. If this is a temporary thing due to his knee, you live with it. If it's a permanent thing and is only going to get worse with age, then you have to think about whether his offense is (and will be) good enough to make up the difference, and whether to trade for offense somewhere else and improve the defense at SS.

I think many of you are overrating Tejada's trade value. Obviously he's a terrific player, but he's already 30 and, while he's relatively inexpensive, you're still asking the other team to take on a lot of money. The Orioles would be lucky to get Kotchman and Santana for Tejada, and they certainly aren't going to get more than that. Plus, Wood is probably untouchable. Obviously I'd prefer Santana and Wood to Weaver and Aybar, but my trade proposal is far more realistic.

I think many of you are overrating Tejada's trade value. Obviously he's a terrific player, but he's already 30 and, while he's relatively inexpensive, you're still asking the other team to take on a lot of money. The Orioles would be lucky to get Kotchman and Santana for Tejada, and they certainly aren't going to get more than that. Plus, Wood is probably untouchable. Obviously I'd prefer Santana and Wood to Weaver and Aybar, but my trade proposal is far more realistic.

You are totally wrong....Tejada would get a 5-6 year deal for a minimum of 15 million a year if he were a FA and he is worth more than those 2 players.

Yes, but how are they determining "the number of runs above or below average this fielder is?" Unless you know that, the definition is almost meaningless.

I don't think there is a great defensive stat out there that is available to us. I would take in as many as possible and see if there is a proponderance of evidence. ZR and RF would both be down the list though, as would seeing with your own eyes.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that the formula is listed in one of their annuals, though it's changed quite a bit over the years, and I don't think that Clay Davenport has released it.

OK, pardon my ignorance, please but...I fully admit to being a bit AL East myopic sometimes so I am not all that familiar with Kotchman. But I am looking at his numbers and wondering - why we are all so high on this guy? Is there something I am missing?

OK, pardon my ignorance, please but...I fully admit to being a bit AL East myopic sometimes so I am not all that familiar with Kotchman. But I am looking at his numbers and wondering - why we are all so high on this guy? Is there something I am missing?

He has very good minor league numbers..High OBP, gold glove ability.

he is young and cheap.

He has power potential, probably not more than 20-30 homers but he could also be a 40+ doubles guy.

Has been compared from guys like GRace up to Helton.

Last year, at a very young age, he put up a respectable 836 OPS.

This year he had mono and that effected his numbers, so don't look at that.

He has very good minor league numbers..High OBP, gold glove ability.

he is young and cheap.

He has power potential, probably not more than 20-30 homers but he could also be a 40+ doubles guy.

Has been compared from guys like GRace up to Helton.

Last year, at a very young age, he put up a respectable 836 OPS.

This year he had mono and that effected his numbers, so don't look at that.

OK, thanks - I didn't know about his performance in the minors.

I did read about the mono - it's a shame they weren't more agressive in treating it.

Let's be consistent here. Santana is a young mid 90's guy WITH some control. Kotchman is a blue chip prospect. You say Tejada is worth more than that. But I bet you wouldn't trade Cabrera & one of Markakis/Reimold for someone like Jason Bay who is every bit the hitter Tejada is and maybe more. Sure the positions are different but their is a comparison to be made there.

I would hate to do it but i would make that deal.

Kotchman's stock is down though.

But, Tejada is a SS and he may carry more of a premium than Bay because of that.

I would hate to do it but i would make that deal.

Kotchman's stock is down though.

But, Tejada is a SS and he may carry more of a premium than Bay because of that.

I call BS.

The other day you said, "there are only a handful of players out there at all that i would trade Cabrera for".

Now you're willing to send him *and* Markakis away, for Jason Bay?

I call BS.

The other day you said, "there are only a handful of players out there at all that i would trade Cabrera for".

Now you're willing to send him *and* Markakis away, for Jason Bay?

Bay is one of those players.

Now, i am not thinking the Pirates would not want DC because of money.

Penn or Loewen and Reimold i think would be their targets.

But, as i said in the other thread, i do not think we match up well with Pitt.

I don't think we would trade Markakis.

The Pirates have alot of young pitching(although you can never have too much) but not alot of positional prospects.

I think other teams can give them more of what they need...Like say, the Cubs.

Boy, you guys have Penn or Loewen in about a dozen different trades. We are not in a position to make these kinds of trades until we have 3 Penns and Loewens. We are getting there, but it will take a couple more drafts. For help, think money. Think free agency. Think taking big contracts while giving up little.

If the Angels offered a package of:

Erick Aybar, Casey Kotchman, Dallas McPherson, and Erwin Santana for Tejada, and Javy Lopez would you take it?

Though I would love to have Brandon Wood I think I would take this package for Tejada and Lopez. I think it is time to blow it up and go young and this package would go a long way towards getting it done.

Wood has to be part of the deal if we're trading Tejada. You don't acquire a former MVP and arguably the best player at his position, w/o giving up your top prospect in return.

Wood, Kotchman, Santana/Weaver. Nothing less.

Archived