Steve Johnson picked by Giants - Was it a mistake not to protect him?

ChaosLex

Was it a mistake not to protect Steve Johnson now?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a mistake not to protect Steve Johnson now?

• Yes
    • No, the Giants won't keep him. He'll be back with the O's soon
    • No, it's no big loss regardless of whether or not the Giants keep him

This poll is closed to new votes

It's so odd that the Giants didn't have room for Ben Snyder - the guy the O's picked - but they have room for Johnson. Snyder was a 4th round pick (so there is an investment), has better numbers, more AA experience, and he's LH.

Maybe the Giants took Johnson is order to get a look at him knowing that the Orioles took Snyder? If both teams like the guy they took, we have an instant trade that will allow both teams to send the guys back to the minors if they want to.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe the Giants took Johnson is order to get a look at him knowing that the Orioles took Snyder? If both teams like the guy they took, we have an instant trade that will allow both teams to send the guys back to the minors if they want to.

Except that Snyder was supposedly bound for Texas as the PTBNL. Maybe Steve Johnson will be the PTBNL?

I'm obviously pretty surprised that Johnson was taken since he's normlaly not the kind of guy who gets taken in a Rule 5 draft. Either way though, I have hard time believing the Giants will keep him on the roster all year so I would expect him to be back at sometime.

The funny thing is I was just talking with a scout about Johnson two nights ago and we both agreed he would not be taken. What the hell do we know apparently? :D

I will however stick to my guns and be shocked again if he makes the team and stays all year. If he does, good for him.

Sums up my view pretty well. I do think there are players that were protected with less chance of being ML players, but I still expect Johnson to be offered back. I will be disappointed if we lose him permanently, but that hasn't happened yet.

Who here commenting on Johnson has physcially seen him play in person? Honestly, there's not much that excites me about this guy. He's done okay in the minors, but by NO means does he stuff blow me away. I think we look at some low-level stats and what's written about a ballplayer and automatically tag him as "potential back of the rotation starter". Ultimately, I think he ends up back with the Orioles, but I wouldnt get too worked up that he was seleced.

Why are we shocked if Steve Johnson can stick in the majors when guys like Randor (no stuff) Bierd and Brian Bass can? Johnson's stuff may even play up a little out of the pen. People can play this down because Johnson is not an elite talent but considering some of the guys we protected, I think it's terrible. To me this was an unecesary risk take by AM.

It's not even close to being "terrible." While I'll agree with you that I would have protected him over Hughes, he's far enough down the Orioles depth chart for pitchers that I didn't have a problem with him being unprotected.

When he gives up about ten home runs in the spring he'll be on the plane back to Baltimore so no worries. :D

I'm obviously pretty surprised that Johnson was taken since he's normlaly not the kind of guy who gets taken in a Rule 5 draft. Either way though, I have hard time believing the Giants will keep him on the roster all year so I would expect him to be back at sometime.

The funny thing is I was just talking with a scout about Johnson two nights ago and we both agreed he would not be taken. What the hell do we know apparently? :D

I will however stick to my guns and be shocked again if he makes the team and stays all year. If he does, good for him.

I was really wrong on this one. I am surprised.

Kind of like Brad Bergesen was considered coming into this year. I know Johnson is a fly ball pitcher and Bergesen a groundball pitcher. Still, there's no need to be GIVING away a 21 year old pitcher with some talent when there were other far better choices.

That is not a little thing at all. It's a major, major difference especially while pitching in Camden Yards.

Why are we shocked if Steve Johnson can stick in the majors when guys like Randor (no stuff) Bierd and Brian Bass can? Johnson's stuff may even play up a little out of the pen. People can play this down because Johnson is not an elite talent but considering some of the guys we protected, I think it's terrible. To me this was an unecesary risk take by AM.

Terrible..really? I agree I think there are other guys that probably shouldn't have been protected over Johnson but truthfully I don't see this as being the end of the world. Additionally, it only becomes a mistake if we don't get him back. The bet I am guessing is that AM doesn't think he will stick on a ML roster. That was the risk taken and we don't yet know if that risk has been realized.

Kind of like Brad Bergesen was considered coming into this year. I know Johnson is a fly ball pitcher and Bergesen a groundball pitcher. Still, there's no need to be GIVING away a 21 year old pitcher with some talent when there were other far better choices.

San Fran is a good place for a flyball pitcher. The National league is easier to pitch in. Good luck Steve. You said you were excited to be on a major league roster.

Johnson's stuff may even play up a little out of the pen.

I just don't see an extreme flyball pitcher who's not a power arm having much value in an NL bullpen.

I think it's to our advantage that an NL team picked him, as they are less prone to carry 22 man bullpen's like the O's. The Giants opened last season with 6 OF's on the 25 man.

MacPhail knows this won't be a popular transaction in Baltimore. The Orioles lost a pitching prospect and a local kid.

"It's just part of the game," he said. "The odds are, just based on what happens in this draft and nothing specific to Steve, that we'll get him back because that's what happens in these things. The vast majority come back to their original clubs."

http://masnsports.com/2009/12/macphail-talks-about-the-rule.html

Not to discredit AM, but I'm sure the "vast majority" also thought Johnson would never be selected...

I don't understand how it wasn't a mistake? We keep some scrubs for no reason and let a guy with potential get taken. No matter how good or not good you think Johnson will be he has 10 times more potential then some that were protected. Therefore, it was absolutely a mistake (even if he didn't get taken).

Archived