Orioles Interested In Ryan Shealy

Boca Bird

Hayden Penn is leaps and bounds over anyone offered so far.

Hell, offering Javy Lopez is actually pretty fair compared to the offers they are getting.

JJ Johnson is as good as they have been offered....Add in Finch or Rleal...If the Rockies turn that down, oh well.

Considering the season is going to be more than halfway complete soon... is Javys' salary really an issue?

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In case anyone was still wondering, I was able to exchange emails with Troy Renck, the Rockies beat writer for the Denver Post, who broke the story about the O's interest in Shealy. He had VERY GOOD THINGS to say about Shealy, both offensively and defensively. His thoughts can be found here: oriolesreport.com

cool. Thanks. I gotta say- do we really need another Chris Richard type player? I'd rather suffer (?) through another year of Millar and get\develop a REAL prospect. We should be thinking AA type guys with great defense and monster power potential.

Reading some things from fans on a Rockies board leaves me to believe that the Orioles and Rockies are perfect matches...I think this should get done.

The best pitcher being offered is a JJ Johnson type player...Apparently the Rockies do think they can win the division this year so i think they woudl take Javy but you probably need to pay some salary and offer up another solid pitching prospect.

Personally, i think we can can get Shealy without giving up any of the big 6.

Reading some things from fans on a Rockies board leaves me to believe that the Orioles and Rockies are perfect matches...I think this should get done.

The best pitcher being offered is a JJ Johnson type player...Apparently the Rockies do think they can win the division this year so i think they woudl take Javy but you probably need to pay some salary and offer up another solid pitching prospect.

If the Rockies are in the thick of things at TD they'll go for Javy for Shealy. They have crapola for catchers and Javy's bat assuming he continues to hit will be irrisistable.

Sometimes you just need to get the deal done.

Javy and Finch I'm not sure is a fair deal, but Javy and Johnson is a fair deal IF Colorodo thinks they have a shot at winning, but the deal won't work if they don't want Javy. If they don't want Javy, there is no point in offering him. There have been no indications that the Rockies even have a small interest in Javy.

The bottom line is that if we really want Shealy, and believe he could be our first baseman or DH of the future, then we should offer something the Rockies would accept. We shouldn't always make a trade offer based on what other teams are offering.

I'm not looking for the O's to make a perfect deal. I see a player that would fill a need right now, and I see that we can pick him up by dealing a guy in Olson who is still a year or two away from contributing in the big leagues and who comes from a position of strength within our organization.

Olson is a step up from the Abe Alvarez offer. Making an offer basically the equivalent of Alvarez does nothing because the Rockies have made it known they want something more than Alvarez and they are right in doing so because Shealy is much more valuable than what they are being offered. Take the risk and get the deal done.

Shealy, 26, has rebounded nicely after a lost spring training when an elbow injury spoiled his attempt to switch to the outfield. Shealy blasted the first pitch he saw this season over the left-field fence and has 12 home runs and 43 RBIs in 43 games. He sat out Wednesday with a stiff back, but could play this weekend.

this is from the original article in this post. If they even considered him for the outfield he probably would be at least average at 1B.

cool. Thanks. I gotta say- do we really need another Chris Richard type player? I'd rather suffer (?) through another year of Millar and get\develop a REAL prospect. We should be thinking AA type guys with great defense and monster power potential.

Love to see you back this up.

Archived