Sign Holliday or trade prospects?

JTrea81

To land an established big bat before 2011 what you would rather do?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. To land an established big bat before 2011 what you would rather do?

This poll is closed to new votes

It depends...What prospects do you have to trade and what bat are you getting?

What if you could obtain a very good young bat for Guthrie, JJ, Snyder, Erbe and Pie or Reimold?

If you could get a good player for that package, one that is under control for 3+ years, in an area of need, I would prefer that.

So, it just kind of depends on what you have to give up and who you need acquire.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C. Watch Wieters, Reimold, Jones, Bell develop into one of the most promising young collections of middle-of-the-order bats in baseball and drop Carlos Pena in the middle of it next off-season (age an position could easily keep the price tag down, as it did with Dunn -- though not to quite the same extent). Heck, Dunn is available again next year. Maybe he's ready to DH by then.

I agree with most of the other people. I want to wait and see all our young talent develop and see what we need after that.

And if we find we need a big bat for the next 5-6 years, it will have been a mistake to pass up on Holliday for what he is going to get, right?

Otherwise you are paying 160-200 million for Fielder or Gonzalez if they are even available, or having to trade away valuable prospects.

Spending money and draft picks to keep signing veteran stopgaps that you hope will overachieve to 2 year deals isn't worth it.

Pena and Lee will both be Type A's next year and depending on how the Orioles do, will likely cost a first or second round pick to sign.

Both are inferior to Holliday who will only cost a third rounder to sign.

Is there any scenario in your world where it would be a mistake to sign Holliday to a big contract?

No, as I feel he is going to be worth what he is paid. Remember we aren't talking 7/140 here, which is what he would normally get.

JTrea has a gut feeling. We think it's indigestion but he feels pretty strongly that the O's are in it.

In what? The Orioles have other needs to address and don't need to throw all their money into something that they are already have.

C. Watch Wieters, Reimold, Jones, Bell develop into one of the most promising young collections of middle-of-the-order bats in baseball and drop Carlos Pena in the middle of it next off-season (age an position could easily keep the price tag down, as it did with Dunn -- though not to quite the same extent). Heck, Dunn is available again next year. Maybe he's ready to DH by then.
Excellent point, and what AM has in mind no doubt. I don't think you'll get a response from the Trea on this one.:laughlol:

And why don't you think it was a mistake?

Because you feel he will be worth the contract?

I think the fact that BAL had nothing else in place for 2B helps the deal from being classified as a mistake. But it wasn't a good baseball move. He's already slipping defensively and will likely be below average 2011-13 (if not by next year).

His two most valuable years were likely wastes, but the deal likely hasn't prevented AM from making other moves and it certainly hasn't complicated anything by forcing BAL to jump through extra hoops. The only way I can see it being called a "bad" deal is if there was evidence that AM turned down a good long term MIF solution via trade for Roberts.

The 4-year deal isn't something I was on board with, but it's nowhere near the complicating, unnecessary mess that a Holliday signing could produce.

Archived