Sign Holliday or trade prospects?

JTrea81

To land an established big bat before 2011 what you would rather do?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. To land an established big bat before 2011 what you would rather do?

This poll is closed to new votes

Over the past three years, cumulative, Roberts ranks as the sixth worst regular ML second-baseman in infield plus/minus at (-14), per the 2010 Bill James Handbook (Fielding Bible section). He had the sixth-worst range factor among regular ML second-basemen last year, per the same section.

Is the -14 a cumulative #? What was it for 2009 only?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
James only has the worst seven or so listed in the book. Roberts was not one of the worst in +/- in 2009, so the cumulative -14 is spread out over the three seasons.

Thanks. I'd be curious to see how the numbers compared over years. If there's an area of stats I don't understand or even follow closely, it's defense.

Homegrown talent doesn't equal superior talent.

What does this even mean? As has been stated here more times than I care to think about, if our own young guys don't play as expected then we are sunk regardless. So bringing in a Holliday wouldn't do a damn bit of good. After 2010 we should know exactly where are holes are and what we need to pick up to improve. So how about enough petty jabs at the front office and offer something contructive to the conversation.

What does this even mean? As has been stated here more times than I care to think about, if our own young guys don't play as expected then we are sunk regardless. So bringing in a Holliday wouldn't do a damn bit of good. After 2010 we should know exactly where are holes are and what we need to pick up to improve. So how about enough petty jabs at the front office and offer something contructive to the conversation.

Okay. So your philosphy is to see what we have and let it ride, win or lose. Instead of constantly evaluating pieces and perhaps trading some pieces you see as less valuable for other pieces of need, you would plug in Josh Bell and Snyder because that is the way the O's did thing back in the 1960's?

Okay. So your philosphy is to see what we have and let it ride, win or lose. Instead of constantly evaluating pieces and perhaps trading some pieces you see as less valuable for other pieces of need, you would plug in Josh Bell and Snyder because that is the way the O's did thing back in the 1960's?

Read the OP dude. I wouldn't give up an major prospects, like AM has stated, for short term talent and I wouldn't sign Holliday to a rediculous contract because I don't think he is a difference maker. As also has been stated, I believe our offense will be greatly better with the continued maturation of Wieters, Jones, Reimold and Pie. Not too difficult.

Read the OP dude. I wouldn't give up an major prospects, like AM has stated, for short term talent and I wouldn't sign Holliday to a rediculous contract because I don't think he is a difference maker. As also has been stated, I believe our offense will be greatly better with the continued maturation of Wieters, Jones, Reimold and Pie. Not too difficult.

Thanks dude. You may want to run your responses thru a spell check before posting.

Thanks. I'd be curious to see how the numbers compared over years. If there's an area of stats I don't understand or even follow closely, it's defense.
BRob was a FB +7 in 06, 0 in 07, -4 in 08, -10 in 09. He is definitely declining, IMO.

I think it depends upon what kind of a deal you can get Holliday for. If you can get Holliday for what you consider a good deal, you could then trade from out of your surplus and be that much closer to competitiveness. Example: Lets say we sign Holliday for 5 guaranteed at 87.5 with 2 option years that could make it a 7yr/122.5mil deal. I'd take Holliday at that price. We would then have some trade pieces out of Pie/Jones, Scott, Reimold, etc. from which to go out and make a trade to fill the third base hole. Brandon Wood is my favorite target because he could be the LT SS if/when Josh Bell is ready. Alex Gordon is another good target. IMO, signing Holliday could go a long way toward accelerating the rebuild process. And I think AM thinks so too, or he never would have expressed interest in him in the first place.

Archived