What should a statue of Brooks look like?

Frobby

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with the crowd that thinks the #'s are more than acceptable...and that by deciding to do a statue you create a slippery slope on who gets one, and who doesn't.

Plus the #'s kind of make OPACY different...and I like that.

The Orioles may not have done the best job in honoring the past at every occasion...but for someone who attends an Orioles game, and knows nothing about the history of the organization, you walk away with quite a lot of info to seep into your brain.

How would you distinguish who gets a statue and who doesn't? The O's obviously decided that you couldn't really start choosing among the five people who have gone into the Hall of Fame wearing an Orioles hat, so they went with the giant numbers instead of five statues. That seems logical enough to me. I mean, you could make arguments why one of these guys deserves it more than the others, but frankly it would be a divisive issue. If you put it to a vote of all Oriole fans, I doubt you'd get a majority voting for any one of the five.
You give it to Brooks because he wore the uniform as a player longer than anyone. He was the start of it all, winning MVP and gold gloves before the others arrived here.

All this talk about divisiveness. Please.

Where are the statues to Raymond Berry, Art Donovan, Gino Marchetti, or Lenny Moore outside M&T bank stadium.

One statue. Unitas.

There are plenty of guys who bat left and throw/write right, but I think that throwing with one hand and writing with the other is much more rare. As to your dad, well that's pretty freaky.

Both my (adopted) son and I throw right and write left. I batted left and so does he; although his coach started trying to switch him to right for better contact.

Our only difference is that he's also left footed.

I could tell Brooks wrote lefty the first time I saw his signature somewhere.

You give it to Brooks because he wore the uniform as a player longer than anyone. He was the start of it all, winning MVP and gold gloves before the others arrived here.

All this talk about divisiveness. Please.

Where are the statues to Raymond Berry, Art Donovan, Gino Marchetti, or Lenny Moore outside M&T bank stadium.

One statue. Unitas.

But when I think of the Orioles...Brooks isn't the 1st player to come to mind. Granted I wasn't alive when he was playing...and I was when Cal was....

but Cal personifies this city, and this organization...

But when I think of the Orioles...Brooks isn't the 1st player to come to mind. Granted I wasn't alive when he was playing...and I was when Cal was....

but Cal personifies this city, and this organization...

Nah, Soprano is exactly right...

It's not about you. Just like it's not about somebody younger than you who would say "But I don't remember Cal, for me it's BRob".

It's about the history of this modern baseball in Baltimore...

Cal is from this area.

Cal still lives in this area.

Cal owns one of the Orioles MiL affiliates.

Cal was better at what he did than Brooks was at what he did.

This is nothing against Brooks, as I probably have been around him way more than anyone on this site other than Roy...He was a great player on great teams but he just wasn't as accomplished as Ripken was and he doesn't have the local ties.

I still feel the statue should be Palmer, Brooks and Cal....Oh and btw, why is it automatically Brooks over Palmer?

Neither do I, and I don't know your age but say you are 40, would you respect a 10 year old telling you that you "know nothing about anything and are stupid'?:scratchchinhmm::eek::( That would be the equivilent of what was going on here.

Someone who wasn't even born until Brooks had long retired, while I was around watching Brooks daily playing baseball from 1963 through his entire career, telling me I know nothing about the man (or anything else for that matter). Tell me that wouldn't tick you off at least a little bit?

OldFan, you seriously need to stop. You're out of control in this thread. I'm trying to figure out how this dispute began, and it appears that you came into this thread with guns blazing, looking for a fight, and succeeded in creating one over completely innocuous comments/jokes. Nobody was denigrating Brooks, nobody is questioning your knowledge of Brooks, and yet you're devolving into an inexplicable "Respect your elders! Kids today!" rant that has nothing to do with anything.

Please stop trying to ruin a thread that's meant to be a tribute to one of the Orioles' all-time greats.

OldFan, you seriously need to stop. You're out of control in this thread. I'm trying to figure out how this dispute began, and it appears that you came into this thread with guns blazing, looking for a fight, and succeeded in creating one over completely innocuous comments/jokes. Nobody was denigrating Brooks, nobody is questioning your knowledge of Brooks, and yet you're devolving into an inexplicable "Respect your elders! Kids today!" rant that has nothing to do with anything.

Please stop trying to ruin a thread that's meant to be a tribute to one of the Orioles' all-time greats.

Rep City...

Cal is from this area.

This is nothing against Brooks, as I probably have been around him way more than anyone on this site other than Roy...He was a great player on great teams but he just wasn't as accomplished as Ripken was and he doesn't have the local ties.

I still feel the statue should be Palmer, Brooks and Cal....Oh and btw, why is it automatically Brooks over Palmer?

Not everything is a number.

You remember Cal, you don't remember Brooks. That's what it comes down to.

Cal is from this area.

This is a good point, but at the same time it's hard for you or I, or anyone else who wasn't around when Brooks played, to say who is more important to the franchise. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. That's why I would say we don't need a statue of anyone. I like the numbers, but would like to see them look a little nicer, with maybe a write up beside them of why they are honored.

Also, I like JTrea's suggestion of the infield, but that seems like it would be too big to actually put anywhere around OPACY.

This is a good point, but at the same time it's hard for you or I, or anyone else who wasn't around when Brooks played, to say who is more important to the franchise. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. That's why I would say we don't need a statue of anyone. I like the numbers, but would like to see them look a little nicer, with maybe a write up beside them of why they are honored.

Also, I like JTrea's suggestion of the infield, but that seems like it would be too big to actually put anywhere around OPACY.

I like the numbers as well, and would like new numbers statues. I think they are cooler than a statue of the actual person would be. I'd like to see them in bronze though, or whatever the Ruth statue is made out of, and look at bit more artistic rather than just block numbers in stainless steel.

If they do statues, I think it might be kinda cool to have them in the bullpen picnic area. I agree if they do the statues, that they should do a statue for everyone who's number is out front, not just for Brooks. Brooks was great, but I don't think he deserves any more recognition than any of the other guys out there. They are all Orioles legends, and should be honored as such.

Not everything is a number.

You remember Cal, you don't remember Brooks. That's what it comes down to.

Please don't try to tell me what I do and do not know...you have no business trying to figure anything out in my mind.

I fully understand the impact of Brooks as a player and a person..Just because I didn't watch him doesn't mean I don't understand that so please, take your nostalgia bs and go elsewhere.

There is no disputing what i said.

The best argument for Brooks is that he won more but let's face it, he played on better teams and in a different era.

Archived