Great ACC players who never made a noise in the NBA

Frobby

<b>They both absolutely lived up to expectations.</b>

Forte was amazing from the start for Carolina, so good that he left after his sophomore year. He fizzled out of the NBA, but he was a fantastic college player.

Bogans didn't have the immediate success that Forte did, but he was probably the best or 2nd best player on the Kentucky team that finished the regular season with like 27 straight wins, had the #1 overall seed heading into the tournament, but ultimately lost in the elite 8 to Dwayne Wade and Marquette. He's carved out a decent little NBA career as a reserve guard.

I guess what I meant was that when I went to see them that night they were supposed to be stud's who were gonna be stars in the NBA. At least that's what I kept hearing from my buddy (Dematha guy) and a few people in the stands that night.

I followed them for a little bit afterwards and I guess the expectations didn't live up so I kinda lost track of them. I remember Bogans was a part of the Kentucky team we beat on our way to a National Championship. So he's still in the NBA? Good for him. Who's he play for?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great topic..

Forte was too small, too slow, and had a terrible attitude. Not surprised he had a short NBA career. Langdon was simply a shooter who couldn't create a lick for himself. He needed screens to get open which was a bit surprising since he was a great athlete.

Avery had to leave Duke, there was a dispute between K and his Mom about some "stuff" related to a booster. It's a shame because we'll never know how good he could have been.

Pleasant Surprises over the years: (not top 5 picks, good to great careers)

Shane Battier

Dale Davis

Muggsy Bogues

Sam Cassell

Carlos Boozer

Matt Harpring

Josh Howard

Greg Buckner

Brendan Haywood

Too many disappointments to mention, but as far as "my" guys, I'll go:

JR Reid

Eric Montross

Forte

Ed Cota (cant' believe he never played in the league. as pure a point as we ever had..terrible shooter though)

Sean May

Rashad McCants

There are the guys who never stuck in the NBA more than a couple of years with no success.

Childress

Baxter

Booth

Langdon

Hodge

Forte

Singletary

There are also the guys who stuck around the NBA a little while but had minimal success.

Danny Ferry

Sharone Wright

Travis Best

Eric Montross

Parks

Dixon

Finally, there is the too early to tell but look like they are headed for one of the above groups.

May

McCants

Sheldon Williams

Redick

Dudley

Greivis, if he even makes an NBA roster, is bound to be in one of these groups also.

There are the guys who never stuck in the NBA more than a couple of years with no success.

Childress

Baxter

Booth

Langdon

Hodge

Forte

Singletary

There are also the guys who stuck around the NBA a little while but had minimal success.

Danny Ferry

Sharone Wright

Travis Best

Eric Montross

Parks

Dixon

Finally, there is the too early to tell but look like they are headed for one of the above groups.

May

McCants

Sheldon Williams

Redick

Dudley

Grevies, if he even makes an NBA roster, is bound to be in one of these groups also.

Sharone Wright is a GREAT one...He was a top 6 pick..Forgot about him.

Great topic..

Forte was too small, too slow, and had a terrible attitude. Not surprised he had a short NBA career. Langdon was simply a shooter who couldn't create a lick for himself. He needed screens to get open which was a bit surprising since he was a great athlete.

Avery had to leave Duke, there was a dispute between K and his Mom about some "stuff" related to a booster. It's a shame because we'll never know how good he could have been.

Pleasant Surprises over the years: (not top 5 picks, good to great careers)

Shane Battier

Dale Davis

Muggsy Bogues

Sam Cassell

Carlos Boozer

Matt Harpring

Josh Howard

Greg Buckner

Brendan Haywood

Too many disappointments to mention, but as far as "my" guys, I'll go:

JR Reid

Eric Montross

Forte

Ed Cota (cant' believe he never played in the league. as pure a point as we ever had..terrible shooter though)

Sean May

Rashad McCants

Nice list of guys who unexpectedly made good careers for themselves...how about adding Roger Mason to that list? He has turned himself into a really good scorer off the bench in the NBA.

Singletary is disappointing to me only because I'm disappointed he hasn't ever really gotten a shot. Last I saw he was on Charlotte's bench behind Felton and DJ Augustin. Not getting many chances on that team.

Also, how about Craig Smith of BC? He has turned himself into a very effective NBA player, when most thought he wouldn't be able to stick.

I don't count BC as part of the ACC yet...If so, I'd put Smith and Dudley on it. Mason has been a nice surprise..

Danny Ferry

To me, anyone who lasted 13 seasons in the NBA did alright. The guy made $44 mm playing basketball and was on an NBA championship team with the Spurs. True he was a role player but I'd say he had more than minimal success.

A few big men for ya:

Junior Burroughs out of UVA.

And more recently Eric Williams out of Wake Forest.

But those are guys that weren't expected to make it in the NBA, as opposed to someone like Sharone Wright.

To me, anyone who lasted 13 seasons in the NBA did alright. The guy made $44 mm playing basketball and was on an NBA championship team with the Spurs. True he was a role player but I'd say he had more than minimal success.

I see your point. Because he hung around for 13 years he is the least like anyone else on my list. Still, he is regarded as being one of the biggest NBA busts ever. He averaged 7.0 points and 2.8 rebounds for his career. There are other players I've listed who had much shorter NBA runs but had better per average numbers. I guess I would conclude by saying he was able to have a rather long NBA career, which should probably disqualify him from my list. However, he was still a huge disappointment and his individual success was minimal.

For a #2 pick though and that much fanfare, he has to be considered a disappointment..Considering the way he handled himself after the draft didn't help either.

Archived