Great ACC players who never made a noise in the NBA

Frobby

For a #2 pick though and that much fanfare, he has to be considered a disappointment..Considering the way he handled himself after the draft didn't help either.

Eh, he chose not to play for the Clippers. I'm surprised that hasn't happened more often!

Yeah, I'd agree his production was less than what you'd like from the no. 2 overall pick. I can't really agree with ccbird that he's one of the biggest busts ever, however. There are dozens of guys higher on that list than Ferry. He's probably not even in the top 10 Clipper-chosen busts! :P

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eh, he chose not to play for the Clippers. I'm surprised that hasn't happened more often!

Yeah, I'd agree his production was less than what you'd like from the no. 2 overall pick. I can't really agree with ccbird that he's one of the biggest busts ever, however. There are dozens of guys higher on that list than Ferry. He's probably not even in the top 10 Clipper-chosen busts! :P

Agreed 100%...Good call on the Clipppers..

Top 10 picks alone:

Michael Olowakandi

Shaun Livingston (inujred)

Darius Miles

Benoit Benjamin

Bo Kimble

Lamond Murray

Chris Wilcox

Lorenzen Wright

Reggie Williams

hmmm...

I feel sorry for Blake Griffin.

How could we have missed Washburn? Probably one of the top 5 biggest NBA busts ever..

Shackelford actually played in the league for a while and was a second round pick if I'm not mistaken

That 1986 draft had a bunch of tragic figures other than Len Bias. Washburn was the 3rd pick, William Bedford 6th, and Roy Tarpley 7th - All of them were super-talented players around 7 feet tall and all of them were prematurely out of the NBA due to drug problems. That could have been one of the all-time great drafts. The 1st pick was the cleancut 7 footer - Brad Daugherty - from UNC - who had a tremendous career. Btw, the steal of the 2nd round of that draft - from Georgia Tech - Mark Price. Living clean made a huge difference in that draft class.

That 1986 draft had a bunch of tragic figures other than Len Bias. Washburn was the 3rd pick, William Bedford 6th, and Roy Tarpley 7th - All of them were super-talented players around 7 feet tall and all of them were prematurely out of the NBA due to drug problems. That could have been one of the all-time great drafts. The 1st pick was the cleancut 7 footer - Brad Daugherty - from UNC - who had a tremendous career. Btw, the steal of the 2nd round of that draft - from Georgia Tech - Mark Price. Living clean made a huge difference in that draft class.

Yea, that was quite the draft...Dennis Rodman and Jeff Hornacek were also in that second round...someone else pretty good that I can't recall without looking it up.

I'm a big Brad Daugherty fan, he's a NASCAR owner now and I met him last year at the Dover race, what a genuine guy...Anyway, he wasn't the player Bias was but Philly already had Barkley at the #4 and wanted Roy Hinson to play the #3, hence the trade. Barkley and Bias could have been a lethal 1/2 punch had things turned out different.

beaner mentioned him first, but Ed Cota immediately jumped to my mind, probably because I just watched some highlights of his last week. I knew he was never a good jump shooter (though he made some big time shots, much like Steve Blake) and couldn't create his own jump shots, but I thought someone who handled and passed that well would find a spot somewhere in the NBA, even if it was at the end of a bench. I know he's considered short, but he's 6', he's not Muggsy Bogues. I always compared him to Stockton, who is 6'1", but I guess Stockton was one of the handful of greatest defenders ever and a pretty good three point shooter in addition to being the greatest passer ever.

beaner mentioned him first, but Ed Cota immediately jumped to my mind, probably because I just watched some highlights of his last week. I knew he was never a good jump shooter (though he made some big time shots, much like Steve Blake) and couldn't create his own jump shots, but I thought someone who handled and passed that well would find a spot somewhere in the NBA, even if it was at the end of a bench. I know he's considered short, but he's 6', he's not Muggsy Bogues. I always compared him to Stockton, who is 6'1", but I guess Stockton was one of the handful of greatest defenders ever and a pretty good three point shooter in addition to being the greatest passer ever.

A four year starting Point guard at Carolina who led his team to THREE FINAL FOURS couldn't play at the next level? He was the first player in NCAA history to have 1000 points, 500 assists, and 500 rebounds..Plus he had to deal with Steve Wojodkrjeoski biting and scratching him on his way to defensive player of the year in 2000..I digress.

A four year starting Point guard at Carolina who led his team to THREE FINAL FOURS couldn't play at the next level? He was the first player in NCAA history to have 1000 points, 500 assists, and 500 rebounds..Plus he had to deal with Steve Wojodkrjeoski biting and scratching him on his way to defensive player of the year in 2000..I digress.

Like I said, it's a bit of a mystery who succeeds or not at the "next level." Why has Chris Duhon made a good career in the NBA while Ed Cota did not? I would have said they were similar players at the college level.

Like I said, it's a bit of a mystery who succeeds or not at the "next level." Why has Chris Duhon made a good career in the NBA while Ed Cota did not? I would have said they were similar players at the college level.

Wasn't Duhon a better athlete though?

Duhon was a better scorer than Cota was, and a really good defensive player also. I guess Cota must've really graded out poorly at rookie camps /combines. I honestly have always been a bit puzzled by it.

Duhon was a better scorer than Cota was, and a really good defensive player also. I guess Cota must've really graded out poorly at rookie camps /combines. I honestly have always been a bit puzzled by it.

Yeah, he had to have been severely lacking at the combines, specifically on defense IMO.

Why did Spud Webb ( all 5'7" of him) from NC State do pretty well in the NBA and Rodney Monroe who was 6'1 not get much of a shot because he was supposedly too small?

Why did Spud Webb ( all 5'7" of him) from NC State do pretty well in the NBA and Rodney Monroe who was 6'1 not get much of a shot because he was supposedly too small?

Monroe was too small to be a SG in the league..He was slow and thin as well, which didn't help. One of the best shooters I've seen in the ACC though.

Spud was a pretty good PG in his day..He had a long career in the NBA.

I know he got hurt but Duke's Jayson Williams was a bust in the making. Dickie V in his last year at Duke proclaimed him the second best point guard in basketball. I think that may have been the game Blake stole the ball from him when he and Coach K were having a pleasant conversation.

Archived