Video: Matt Hobgood, 3/10/10

justD

The only thing I want to know is what is his velocity and stamina at the end of spring. If it's in the 86-89 area again then I think there are reasons to be concerned. If he's back to his high school 91-93 with heavy boring action then I could care less if he's carrying some weight in his buttocks and upper legs (which is where it looks to be from the video).

Not every pitcher is going to look like Matusz or Tillman. It's not the perfect body you look for in a pitcher, but I'll await his results before making comments.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know. You're right. We all know O5F is predisposed to hyperbole and prone to jump to premature conclusions.

I have to admit though...even though it's third hand and on a message board, I hate to ever hear rumors about him being lazy. I've never drawn any conclusions about his fitness, but it would be wrong not to take notice as something to follow.

Either way, that third-hand post doesn't even constitute smoke, so I'm certainly not saying there's fire. But it did pique my interest.

Me too, I can't say I like hearing a comment like that.

I expect we'll get some feedback on how Hobgood is throwing pretty soon. I'm also intersted to hear the details of Doc's hour-long interview, which may provide some insights.

Tough crowd. I wonder how many people giving him grief for what shape he's in, could beat him in a physical fitness test?

I was always big but I was always in good shape. Even when I was in the Marine Corps I never had six pack abs or was cut. I guess it's genetics.

Contrary to some opinions it is possible to be big and in shape.

Cut the kid a break until he pitches in a game or two.

Bunch of 128 pound gym rats:cussing::laughlol:

Tough crowd. I wonder how many people giving him grief for what shape he's in, could beat him in a physical fitness test?

Raises hand.

I was always big but I was always in good shape. Even when I was in the Marine Corps I never had six pack abs or was cut. I guess it's genetics.

The Marine Corps requires that you stay in shape and have pt tests all the time to make sure this is true. Hobgood is not "required" to be in good shape.

Contrary to some opinions it is possible to be big and in shape.

Agreed, it just seems like that he's more than just big. Josh Bell looks big to me. Hobgood not so much.

But again if he puts up great numbers I don't care how big he is. He could get to Homer's size when purposefully gains weight but if he can still pitch effectively...

I'm rooting extra hard for Hobgood to succeed, so that I won't have to read 5,000 threads on how Joe Jordan should have picked Matzek or Wheeler or Green, how he should have done more due diligence on Hobgood's laziness, etc. If he fails, we're never going to hear the end of it.

I'm friends with Matt on facebook, and he has more pictures available on there if any of you are interested. After seeing the pictures of him during his every day life he is not a fat guy. He's a big stocky guy. I think that skin tight uniform just adds to the eye a little bit but he definitely looks healthy in his normal every day pictures. There are plenty of guys who have succeeded in the big leagues with that type of build. He reminds me of a Brad Penny, Joe Blanton, Jared Wright type of guy both build and delivery. Last time i checked the game is played on the field not in the weight room. I'd rather have a not so pretty Lance Berkman then a jacked Brad Fullmer Jay Gibbons type. Just saying give the guy a chance before he gets judged. He hasnt even played a full season yet.

I'm rooting extra hard for Hobgood to succeed, so that I won't have to read 5,000 threads on how Joe Jordan should have picked Matzek or Wheeler or Green, how he should have done more due diligence on Hobgood's laziness, etc. If he fails, we're never going to hear the end of it.

I am one of the Jordan pundits on the Hobgood pick, but we need to give him a little time. Last years short season and early in spring training isn't enough time to start crucifying him and Jordan.

Think we need to stop bringing up random examples of Matzek, Wheeler, or Green for the time being and just cheer Hobgood on. I am hoping Jordan proves me wrong.

Here we go again......

I'm sure the Orioles did their due diligence. No disrespect meant to oriolefan1035, but I'm not going to get my pitchfork and torch out because of what a player he knows in minor league camp reportedly said. For now, I'll go with what Doc Shorebird says:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/plus/plusarticle.asp?ID=2378

My recollection is that when Hobgood was signed, his personality and maturity were cited as pluses in his favor. It's going to take more than one second-hand negative remark to convince me otherwise.

Well, that is good to hear and a heavier guy can often times come across as lazy when maybe he just isn't as fond of working out.;)

Wow. Starting to really regret having posted this now. Guess there really isn't enough good info that can come out of a minor league spring training video to make any difference, except to incite a lot of speculation about any number of things. So sorry.

:noidea:

Wow. Starting to really regret having posted this now. Guess there really isn't enough good info that can come out of a minor league spring training video to make any difference, except to incite a lot of speculation about any number of things. So sorry.

:noidea:

Matt said he felt real good today after throwing that BP yesterday. What a Big, Strong, and nice young man. We will be glad to have him.

On a side note, the Minor league camp seems well run this year. Tight scheduling, constaint movement and instruction, and no slacking.

Archived