The He's the Same Age as Game

DrungoHazewood

I find it fascinating to look through bb-ref and see lists of players born in such-and-such year, or debuted in the majors in some year. Because you always come up with the strangest combinations, of guys who you think of being in mid-career who are the same age as guys who haven't played major league ball since 1995.

For example, Miguel Tejada was born in 1974.

That means he's basically the same age as Danny Clyburn, former O's prospect eons ago, who got a cup of coffee with the O's and Rays. But who hasn't appeared in a MLB game in 11 years.

Tejada is also about the same age as: Mark Bellhorn, Rocky Coppinger, Bobby Estelalla, Erubiel Durazo, Radhames Dykhoff, Billy Koch, Wilton Guerrero, John Rocker, Calvin Maduro, and Ugueth Urbina. Remember Kris Foster? O's picked him up in the Mike Trombley deal, he threw about 100 mph. Same age as Tejada, hasn't pitched in the majors since his cup of coffee with the O's in '01.

Jamie Moyer was born in 1962. He's the same age as BJ Surhoff's brother Rich, who played his last major league game on October 6th, 1985.

Julio Franco was born in 1958, and finally retired from the Mexican League in 2008. He's the same age as a guy name Jim Beswick, who played 17 games for the Padres in 1978 and never played in the majors again.

Julio Franco was born in 1958, and finally retired from the Mexican League in 2008. He's the same age as a guy name Jim Beswick, who played 17 games for the Padres in 1978 and never played in the majors again.

I was "sexually indoctrinated" by a slightly older young woman in 1958.....which means I'm old enough to be Julio Franco's father!!.......:eek:

Cal Ripken turns 50 this August. Here's the list of every MLB player also born in 1960. Well over 189 players on the list, and Cal is one of only three players whose career went into the 21st century. About 41 percent (78 players) of the class of 1960 finished their playing career before 1990. Some pitching notables who finished before Cal include Mark Langston, Fernando Valenzuela, Frank Viola, and Ron Darling. Former Oriole Ken Dixon's career only lasted from 1984-1987. Only two other players born in MD in 1960, had as much as a cup of coffee in the bigs, Dar Smith (1990, 2 games) and Trench Davis (1985-87, 23 games)

Cal Ripken turns 50 this August. Here's the list of every MLB player also born in 1960. Well over 189 players on the list, and Cal is one of only three players whose career went into the 21st century. About 41 percent (78 players) of the class of 1960 finished their playing career before 1990. Some pitching notables who finished before Cal include Mark Langston, Fernando Valenzuela, Frank Viola, and Ron Darling. Former Oriole Ken Dixon's career only lasted from 1984-1987. Only two other players born in MD in 1960, had as much as a cup of coffee in the bigs, Dar Smith (1990, 2 games) and Trench Davis (1985-87, 23 games)

Among the players who batted in a game (which includes quite a few of the pitchers:

15+ years - 13

10-14 years - 17

5-9 years - 56

2-4 years - 75

1 year - 27

I think this is kind of revealing when you consider what a minor league system needs to produce to be an average system. If you assume 1960 was a pretty typical year, then your team needs to be producing about 6-7 guys a year who eventually reach the majors. Of those, one should have a career of 10+ years, 2 should have a 5-9 year career, 3 should make it for 2-4 years, and there should be one guy who gets his only shot at the majors that season. The same basic rules apply for players who debuted in a certain year, as opposed to those who were born in a given year. Here are players who debuted in 1992:

15+ years - 19

10-15 years - 30

5-9 years - 39

2-4 years - 51

1 year - 23

So, think of the Orioles who debuted last year. How long will their careers last?

Wieters

Reimold

Turner

Bergesen

Uehara

Berken

Matusz

Hernandez

Tillman

I think you'd have to say that's an extremely strong class.

As I compiled the list, I realized how many guys are journeymen even though it seems like they have managed to amass multiple seasons in which they reached the majors: Andino (5 years), Montanez (2 years), Fiorentino (4 years), Salazar (3 years), G. Rodriguez (2 years), Castillo (2 years), Lambert (2 years), Waters (2 years), Simon (2 years), Liz (3 years), McCrory (2 years). So really, if a team produces four players in one year who have real solid major league careers, they've had a very good year.

Brian Roberts is the savvy veteran on this team at age 31. The ENTIRE lineup in 2000 was as old as Brian is now with the exception of catcher Charles Johnson:

1B Will Clark - 36

2B Delino DeShields -31

SS Mike Bordick - 34

3B Cal Ripken - 39

LF BJ Surhoff - 35

CF Brady Anderson - 36

RF Albert Belle - 33

DH Harold Baines - 33

UT Jeff Conine - 34

Brian Roberts is the savvy veteran on this team at age 31. The ENTIRE lineup in 2000 was as old as Brian is now with the exception of catcher Charles Johnson:

1B Will Clark - 36

2B Delino DeShields -31

SS Mike Bordick - 34

3B Cal Ripken - 39

LF BJ Surhoff - 35

CF Brady Anderson - 36

RF Albert Belle - 33

DH Harold Baines - 33

UT Jeff Conine - 34

If I remember correctly that was the oldest regular lineup in major league history, at least up to that point in time.

Archived