Phillies fan ran onto the field, got tasered by police

jamesenoch

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqtPUhYdz6M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqtPUhYdz6M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This is why I don't understand why they turn the TV cameras away when this happens... If they showed a guy getting gang-tackled by three big security guards (or tasered) that would seem more DISincentive to me!

I think the fear of being tasers should be the biggest incentive to not run on the field like an idiot. I think every fan that runs on the field should be immediately and occasionally repeatably tasered.

Sports radio (at least down here) is going nuts about this, critical of the security guards for "escalating." I just don't get that. Sure in rare instances tasers can do harm. But tackling him could have led to injuries for him, or the security guards.

I am all for making it an MLB rule... go on the field and get tasered, even if you surrender. Nothing bugs me more than when rules that are in place for good reason are dismissed because "boys will be boys" or whatever.

Sports radio (at least down here) is going nuts about this, critical of the security guards for "escalating." I just don't get that. Sure in rare instances tasers can do harm. But tackling him could have led to injuries for him, or the security guards.

I am all for making it an MLB rule... go on the field and get tasered, even if you surrender. Nothing bugs me more than when rules that are in place for good reason are dismissed because "boys will be boys" or whatever.

I'll never condone anyone running onto the field. You get what you get. That being said, it is my belief that tasers should be used in situations where you would normally use a gun. Tasers are tools to be used to defend the safety of the officer. Tasers are not torture devices to be used to force compliance. But, that's just one man's opinion.

I'll never condone anyone running onto the field. You get what you get. That being said, it is my belief that tasers should be used in situations where you would normally use a gun. Tasers are tools to be used to defend the safety of the officer. Tasers are not torture devices to be used to force compliance. But, that's just one man's opinion.

Well that's just the thing. You have no idea what their intent is and when someone does something that crazy I think it's a good policy to assume the worse. Protect the players, the security, and everyone else on the field. Tasers are non-lethal, guns are lethal, big difference there.

Agreed. Not defending this goofball, but tasers should only be used in situations where the safety of law enforcement or others are in question. This idiot was clearly just doing what idiots do and had no intention of injuring anyone. What they should do is make sure the police and security personnel are in good enough shape that he stands at least a 'Santa's chance in Philly' of catching suspects.

Well that's just the thing. You have no idea what their intent is and when someone does something that crazy I think it's a good policy to assume the worse. Protect the players, the security, and everyone else on the field. Tasers are non-lethal, guns are lethal, big difference there.

This really becomes an issue of what force is excessive force. Since it is nonlethal force, there is obviously a lot of leeway there for law enforcement. I'm saying that there should be a reasonably articulable suspicion that the person is armed and/or dangerous prior to use of tasers. Simple noncompliance should not be enough.

I guess tasers are better than using batons...it's just never a good PR move and it overshadows the good work that law enforcement officers are doing everyday. It's a lot easier for most people to put themselves in the position of the tased than the officer.

Archived