Armando Galarraga perfect through 8

PrivateO

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a note or asterisk in the record books that in some way acknowledges the game but the official scoring will never and should never be reversed. It's not that it isn't the right thing to do it's just that it opens up a big can of worms. If you change this decision every blown call that's on tape and effects an official scoring from the past and in the future can and in some cases will be challenged to be changed.
It should be reversed and it would be right to reverse it. Why? Because, um, it's the right call. Because it was the last play of the game. Because it was for a perfect game. Because the pitcher deserves it, and the umpire does too. It's a clean fix, there's no what-if's involved, and there probably won't be another situation like this ever again.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This.

The NBA was able to go back and take away a technical foul that was issued to Perkins of the Celtics a day following the game. Why can't MLB go back and change this? Especially considering the 28th batter was retired. You're not taking away a hit from the next batter, you're not taking away a hit from the 27th batter (because he was out, and he knows it), and you're not at all affecting the outcome of the game. MLB should really do the right thing here.

Great post.

And the crazy thing is that, if they maintain the traditional rotation, he'll be working the plate.

If I'm MLB I pull him from the game. I don't know what you call it. Not a suspension or anything punitive, but I just can't see how he can work the plate tomorrow after all this.

My thoughts exactly, too.

MLB and Selig has really boofed the pooch over the years....this is a prime opportunity for them to step up and make something right.

But, as sure as the Orioles suck, it's a safe bet they won't.

It should be reversed and it would be right to reverse it. Why? Because, um, it's the right call. Because it was the last play of the game. Because it was for a perfect game. Because the pitcher deserves it, and the umpire does too. It's a clean fix, there's no what-if's involved, and there probably won't be another situation like this ever again.

What if it wasn't the last play of the game. What if it was the first batter of the game and he went out and retired the next 27 batters? Do you make another exception to the rules for that situation and if not why not - wouldn't the pitcher deserve it just as much?

You just can't do that. At least not officially. Opens up way too many cans of worms. I'm all for recognizing it as a perfect game other than officially changing the scoring of the game. Send the glove, the ball, uniform, etc to Cooperstown.

It was such a blantant missed call however. This is an exception - not a rule here.

Give him the perfect game, dammit!

That's tough to listen to. I feel bad for Joyce...he's going to have this hanging over his head forever, much like Denkinger. Hell, Joyce says "I worked with Denkinger, I know what he went through."

It's tough...I mean, you know who the bad umpires are, Laz Diaz, CB Bucknor are the ones that come to mind immediately for me. Joyce apparently is a good umpire and has a good reputation...I've heard the name several times before, but it doesn't have a negative connotation for me.

It's hard to be upset with the guy after listening to something like that.

True mark of a man right there. He owned it, admitted it was horrible, and said I feel sorry for that kid who pitched his heart out.

The forgotten shame is that Austin Jackson's catch is now completely forgotten and it was awesome.

I don't know why but I think overturning this is at least possible. Selig can't be stupid enough not to overturn it, can he?

Props to the Pitcher-- He did not go Crazy, like I think 99% of us would.

Props to the Tigers-- They SEEM to be taking it good. Very respectful, and classy.

And Props to the umpire-- He had the pride to admit his mistake, to talk to the Pitcher, the media. So many Umpires make bad calls and say nothing, they go into a undisclosed location till the next game.

Props to the Indians Player for running that ball out, atleast he made it close.

Hopefully this will be overturned. Is this the first perfect game that was screwed by a bad call with 2 outs in the 9th?

I understand the sentiment of it but you can't craft a solution that only applies to this situation. What do you do if the exact same play happens to the 1st batter and not the 27th?

I don't think you can change it for the 1st batter. Mistakes early or during the middle of a game are open ended. This was a close ended mistake. A mistake that was on the very last play, and a mistake where the play after it was an out. Because this is such a black and white mistake that doesn't change other events that happened after it, I see no reason why they can't change the call. But of course they won't because of the precedent it would set. I just feel horrible for the call, and really, this morning I feel awful for Jim Joyce too. It's too bad.

What if it wasn't the last play of the game. What if it was the first batter of the game and he went out and retired the next 27 batters? Do you make another exception to the rules for that situation and if not why not - wouldn't the pitcher deserve it just as much?

Obviously not, because no one knows how those last 27 at-bats may have turned out if the pitcher had a no-hitter going on. The pressure would've been amped up considerably, the batters would've been trying that much harder to break up the no-no, etc.

In this instance, there's no such what-if's to contemplate AFTER the ump's error. The game should've been over. Makes things clean and simple if MLB wants to show some guts and do something unprecedented about it to fix it.

You know what still rubs me the wrong way...During his "I feel so bad I blew the call feel sorry for me" tirade, he said that no one feels worse than him? Really? Get over yourself...I bet the kid who lost out on a chance at history feels pretty darn bad right now. You might feel bad, but I'd bet he feels worse. I don't know...maybe not a big deal, but that quote didn't sit well with me.

The shame to this is that all of the controversy is overshadowing the great, great play by Austin Jackson two batters earlier. Considering the situation, that has to go down as one of the best plays ever made in a regular season game - yet no one is talking about it.

That catch was ridiculous...that Granderson trade is working out pretty well for the Tigers, isn't it? A-Jax is a terrific player.

That catch was ridiculous...that Granderson trade is working out pretty well for the Tigers, isn't it? A-Jax is a terrific player.

Not to derail the topic but I was telling folks months ago that the Granderson trade wasn't about salary.

And yes, that was a heck of a catch, right up there with the one Wise made in the ninth that saved Buehrle's perfect game last season.

Archived