Instructional league canceled

Frobby

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So when will these be done...2026?

I repeat, here is no way this team shouldn't find a place to play this off season. Rent one.

Hey Mike, without looking on the internet can you tell us how many O's prospects are typically in instructional league? Who the coaches have been? The level of instruction? The percentage of top prospects that participate from the O's and other organizations? I suspect that most of us, probably including you, have little idea about the real value (or not) of the instructional league versus work outs at Camden Yards. I do know that the Sun report specifically mentioned that Buck and other top coaches were going to participate to some extent at Camden Yards. What's the relative value of working with the top coaches in the organization at Camden Yards versus the standard O's instructional league? You are very critical of this move but have not offered any evidence to support your contention that this is because the Orioles are "cheap" or that the instructional league is of real value.

The fall Instructional League is set up for 2 primary reasons, 1st - to have players in the organization who may have struggled a bit or been injured earlier on in the season get additional instruction and playing time, 2nd - to bring in newly signed players who may have not had much if any chance to participate in instruction and playing time at the professional level. Of all the organization's programs, other than the mid-winter BP and side sessions for the locals at Camden Yards, Instructs is the smallest in attendance by players and coaches. I seriously doubt that not having a full scale fall instructional program just this year will have any impact on the organization moving forward. In fact, I would rather see them have what they plan this year at Camden Yards every year, as mentioned here, it offers Buck and staff to see first hand what new potential prospects we have coming in.

• 3 weeks later...

The Instructional League is at OPACY for 2 weeks. Sept 20th to Oct. 2nd. Only 15 players and no pitchers. According to an offical source, it was felt that there was too much construction going on in Sarasota and that the players would be in the way and delay the finish time for spring training for both majors and minors.

I'm just not sure that two weeks of infield practice and an intersquad game are far better than 30 or 40 games plus dozens of workouts.But then again, I don't know the whole story.

Ohfan67, there is no reason why coaches can't be available down south to work with the kids if their being there is that important-or that Showalter can't make a few trips down there. I don't think he'd mind.

Look at the time that our top young players have spent on the diamond. Very little. Guys drafted last year have been hurt and spent most of their time healing.Machado's played about a week or two's worth of games.Sorry, I can't agree with you on this. Just more organizational failure, that's all.

I think it's possible that the O's did boot this one; hard to say without knowing the details. However I think it probably has little effect on Machado or any other player who is likely to play in a full-season league next spring. If they're already that advanced, they probably don't have much to gain from playing what amounts to a series of glorified post-HS showcase games.

Archived