Something about Britton that bothers me

Frobby

Why should that make him rated higher? If his skillset and BIP tendencies lead to more unearned runs, it would be absurd to say it's not his fault. We credit GB pitchers for their positive attributes, there's no reason not to discredit them for their faults just because baseball recognizes some stupid, subjective, moral-imperative-driven rule like errors.

Maybe because Major League baseball players will not make half as many errors as the guys he has playing behind in on the minor league teams.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ERA can be totally deceiving. Two outs. Error. Pitcher then gives up five runs on eight hits. All the runs unearned. Truth be told. Britton has not been a dominating pitcher in AAA. I, for one, are happy he won't be a Sept. call-up.

Maybe because Major League baseball players will not make half as many errors as the guys he has playing behind in on the minor league teams.

Orioles - 89 errors

Tides - 124 errors

Baysox - 118 errors

Maybe 25-30% fewer errors according to this small sample.

I definitely agree that Britton's unearned run rate should decrease once he reaches the majors. Still, it's likely to be relatively high since infielders make more errors on ground balls than outfielders make on fly balls. 67 of the Orioles 89 errors have been by the infielders and the pitchers. My guess is that most of the pitcher errors are on pickoff attempts.

I think the problem is that he is a groundball pitcher and the defense behind him is going to dictate how he does.

Britton has had players behind him that are either playing out of position to try to enhance their versatility or they aren't good with the glove at their position.

I think the problem is that he is a groundball pitcher and the defense behind him is going to dictate how he does.

Britton has had players behind him that are either playing out of position or aren't good with the glove.

Let's just hope that won't be the case when he gets to Baltimore. Our infield has been pretty suspect a lot of the year.

Archived