Dice-K didn't make it through 5 in the ALCS.

Chollie Eckman

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In this article he says that it could have been the environment (Sox fans passion) that helped him and that he was being impatient that bad year of his. Since we all know that the Sox preach patience at the plate, I think he couldn't be in a better place to revive his career which has proven to do just that. He also has had bouts with cancer, maybe unrelated to 2004.

How do they explain Drew and Lugo?

Wasn't Youkalis a 3rd baseman originally?

The plan all along was to have Youkilis take over at third. That changed when Lowell came over and to everyone's utter amazement started to produce. They figured they could deal with his declining bat because he played solid if not spectacular defense.

You have to at least admit that that was luck. He put up career numbers this year and carried the team in May and June. He was the contract nobody wanted as part of the Beckett deal and you HAD TO take him. That was luck.

TRue. I don't recall reading any Orioles fans clamoring to sign Mike Lowell. In fact, he was viewed as extra salary baggage to pick up just to get Beckett at the time as he was having a terrible season and looked like he might even be finished. The Sox were indeed mighty lucky he rebounded like he did, especially when changing leagues on top of it.

I especially like how when confronted with the Zito deal, Chollie said "let's stay on topic," yet he gladly allowed this to turn into a Mike Lowell discussion.

It amazes me that he hasn't been banned yet... if he isn't technically breaking any rules(arguable) he could certainly set the precedent for a new one: "When debating something, at least try to act like a civilized grown-up..."

How do they explain Drew and Lugo?
Since when does one year of a 4-, 5-, or 6-year contract constitute a failure?

I doubt Lugo will be considered a good sign in the long run, but I also doubt that the Red Sox will be complaining about Matsuzaka in the long run.

Drew is a bit of a mystery. He did something this year that he's never done before: be healthy and suck. Usually he's either awesome or hurt. Sometimes both. He really wasn't even that bad this year, had a 108 OPS+, but thats far below his 130 OPS+ for his career. Usually the question with Drew is health, but he was healthy enough this year and struggled. I think he'll bounce back performance-wise, but that still leaves the variable of how much time he spends on the field. I think when all is said and done with his contract he'll probably fall as a slight disappointment, but there is still plenty of time for him to be a unqualified success or a total disaster, and with his injury history and history of dominance with the bat, it could easily go erither way.

I especially like how when confronted with the Zito deal, Chollie said "let's stay on topic," yet he gladly allowed this to turn into a Mike Lowell discussion.

It amazes me that he hasn't been banned yet... if he isn't technically breaking any rules(arguable) he could certainly set the precedent for a new one: "When debating something, at least try to act like a civilized grown-up..."

"Here's some for you for just being stupid"

That was his comment alongside a neg rep he gave me in this thread. Oh well, I guess "Officer" TTF is at it again!

Archived