Jim Callis comments on the O's lack of prospects in the league top 20's

Frobby

What's right about it. A 23 year old kid has a very good year, wins the O's minor league player of the year award. And what does Callis do? Disses him. Why? Don't put him of your list, fine. But he doesn't have to go out of your way to say bad things about him.

There are plenty of prospects to talk about that Callis thinks are great. So do that and don't diss a guy who really does not deserve to be dissed.

Melewski interviewed Callis, so obviously Melewski asked a question specifically about Mahoney (unless you think Callis just randomly brought it up. I can see it now: "I'mma let you finish, but Mahoney is the worst Minor League Player of the Year of all time!"). So besides saying what he did, Callis's options would be to either lie or say "no comment." Of course, if he says "no comment" for everyone who doesn't have a glowing report, then that is a comment.

And really, dissed? Really? He said he had a "nice year" but was not a "blue-chip" prospect. That's hardly a diss.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Melewski interviewed Callis, so obviously Melewski asked a question specifically about Mahoney (unless you think Callis just randomly brought it up. I can see it now: "I'mma let you finish, but Mahoney is the worst Minor League Player of the Year of all time!"). So besides saying what he did, Callis's options would be to either lie or say "no comment." Of course, if he says "no comment" for everyone who doesn't have a glowing report, then that is a comment.

And really, dissed? Really? He said he had a "nice year" but was not a "blue-chip" prospect. That's hardly a diss.

How about he had a great year but I like other players better. How about lets see what he does next year, I have to see more.

Callis could have said any number of things. He didn't have to diss the kid.

The generalities may be true, but ABs point was that none of the prospects for TAM mentioned earlier were first round guys, and only Brignac was a 2nd Rounder.

If BAL wants to compete in the AL East, they can't hang their hat primarily on 1st and 2nd Round picks -- even if they are easier to "hit" on. You need scouting that will get you productive players from rounds 3 and on, as well.

Very true, and I believe we have a good team in the scouting department, but I am beginning to dislike the strategy. Fantastic, we are beginning to go overslot on a ton of guys, but why is it that we choose to go for the "value" prospects(ones who haven't yet broken out). It almost seems to make the risk a bit riskier but the reward no higher....

Definitely a Stockstill problem and not a Jordan problem. I think we can identify and draft talent, but when it comes to developing those raw skills into polished major league prospects, well, the Orioles maybe the worst in the Majors. And I don't think that is hyperbole.

Disagree here. For one thing, HS hitters don't always transfer from HS to pro ball and hit the ground running. Even "polished" hitters in HS sometimes come in and bomb it. Lately, with Hoes, Avery and Schoop all making significant strides being younger guys, I am much more confident in the player development than I used to be. I mean, what can player development do with a bunch of injured prospects? Or, what can they do with a 1st rounder who suddenly loses 4-5 MPH on his FB?

I still will say, I am not turning on JJ yet, I am just a bit unhappy with choices he has made. I will be the first to say how excited I was with the 09 draft when it first went down. If Hobgood had the same stuff that got him drafted in the 1st round, I don't think there would be an issue with him, his skillset was 1st round worthy, maybe not necessarily 5th overall pick worthy, but definitely 1st round worthy.

It doesn't seem easy to point the finger at one versus the other. How do we know which is the problem?

To me, if you are signing first round and above slot talent and they are not panning out, then you have a serious problem with player development. You are taking what a myriad of scouts have determined is a above average draft talent, someone who should at the very least succeed in the upper minors and not getting them there.

Now I know some guys just don't have the makeup, and no talent evaluator is going to get it right 100% of the time, but the failures over the last few years are well documented as well as the multitude of reports about guys not being ready for major league call ups.

I lost some respect for Callis here. Even if he is right there is not reason to diss Mahoney like this. Sometime you just shut up and let things play out. The kid deserves to try to earn his way to the majors without some one like Callis labeling him.

I hope Mahoney has a great career and shoves it......well proves Callis wrong.

What's right about it. A 23 year old kid has a very good year, wins the O's minor league player of the year award. And what does Callis do? Disses him. Why? Don't put him of your list, fine. But he doesn't have to go out of your way to say bad things about him.

There are plenty of prospects to talk about that Callis thinks are great. So do that and don't diss a guy who really does not deserve to be dissed.

How about he had a great year but I like other players better. How about lets see what he does next year, I have to see more.

This has to be a joke.

One thing to think about, although not an excuse is the there are several players on the Orioles roster (Tillman, Bell, and maybe even Matusz) who if in the Yankees, Rays, or Red Sox organizations would still be in the minors or have been in the minors long enough to make some of those lists. Meanwhile, all those teams have prospects that would be on our MLB team.

One thing to think about, although not an excuse is the there are several players on the Orioles roster (Tillman, Bell, and maybe even Matusz) who if in the Yankees, Rays, or Red Sox organizations would still be in the minors or have been in the minors long enough to make some of those lists. Meanwhile, all those teams have prospects that would be on our MLB team.

I see what you are going with, but the issue is that none of those players other than Matusz would even be good enough to be on any of those mlb rosters.

I have no problem with Callis' remarks about Mahoney. He gave his honest opinion when he was asked. I didn't think he was disrespectful.

I'm more interested in his glowing remarks about Machado. I can't wait to see this kid.

As to whose "fault" it is that we don't have more top prospects, there is plenty of blame to go around. But remember John Stockstill was only appointed farm director as the season was starting. You can't put much on him.

"A lot of times the teams' minor league player of the year is the guy that performed the best and not the best prospect. He is not a blue-chip, cornerstone type of prospect. He is a 23-year-old guy that spent half the season at High A and he got to Double-A and performed well.

"He had a nice year, but I don't think scouts are projecting him as a .300 hitter with plus power, like he did this year. He hit 18 home runs, which is a nice year, but you don't see him as guy that will hit 25 in the Majors. He is not a top prospect."

How are these disses?

People hold on to Callis' every word, but he says one thing that goes against what you think and apparently he is discredited.

I don't really see what is hard to argue about with his assessment.

For the record, Cory Keylor was the player of the year in 2006 and was later traded to the Red Sox in ST 2007 as a PTBNL.

Sometimes I think you've got to be joking. You're crying because he said he had a nice year, and not a great year. Wow.:rolleyes:

Reggie (MD): Will Joe Mahoney overtake (if not already) Brandon Snyder for the O's best 1B prospect? He's shown a lot of power this year...can he keep it going? Thanks.

Kevin Goldstein: Not a fan. 23-year-old guy putting up good, not great numbers in High-A? Pass.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=755

OMG, Kevin Goldstein is satan too. :laughlol:

How are these disses?

People hold on to Callis' every word, but he says one thing that goes against what you think and apparently he is discredited.

I don't really see what is hard to argue about with his assessment.

For the record, Cory Keylor was the player of the year in 2006 and was later traded to the Red Sox in ST 2007 as a PTBNL.

Personally, I feel the same way Callis does as far as Mahoney is concerned, I am simply just not a believer. Maybe if it were any other position than 1B, I'd be excited, but in order for him to be worthwhile at 1B, he'd have to hit with more power in the major leagues than he did this(personal best) year in the MiL. For someone his age, I don't think you can expect that. I know the season sucked this year on the farm, but IMO anyone who is thinking we have much of a future with Mahoney is reaching. If he comes out in 2011 or 2012 and crushes it, I'll eat crow. At this point, I like the chances of Hobgood becoming a regular ML SP moreso than I like Mahoney's chances of sticking at 1B as an average ball player for the position. On my top prospect list, Mahoney at this point isn't top 10 for me. I'd take guys like Wirsch and Henry over him.....but once again, thats just me.

Personally, I feel the same way Callis does as far as Mahoney is concerned, I am simply just not a believer. Maybe if it were any other position than 1B, I'd be excited, but in order for him to be worthwhile at 1B, he'd have to hit with more power in the major leagues than he did this(personal best) year in the MiL. For someone his age, I don't think you can expect that. I know the season sucked this year on the farm, but IMO anyone who is thinking we have much of a future with Mahoney is reaching. If he comes out in 2011 or 2012 and crushes it, I'll eat crow. At this point, I like the chances of Hobgood becoming a regular ML SP moreso than I like Mahoney's chances of sticking at 1B as an average ball player for the position. On my top prospect list, Mahoney at this point isn't top 10 for me. I'd take guys like Wirsch and Henry over him.....but once again, thats just me.

Agree on Joe. It was a great year from him, but it's not like he's suddenly a top 100 prospect or something. Just shows that the rest of the org. is weak positionally if we have ONE guy that can hit .300 with 18 HR.

So, you expect him to lie and not provide his opinion on a player he is asked about?

Let's hope Mahoney has thicker skin than you do.

Archived