Holy Crap I Just Had a Nightmarish Flashback to Jeffrey Maier

Hank Scorpio

These same players get cheered for God's sake. It took until 10 players on the same Bengals team got arrested and Pac Man Jones for the league to do anything. The Ray Lewis and Rae Carruth incidents happened 6-7 years before that.

You honestly think that both leagues are held to the same standards?

How about the NFL actually doing something about their problems while MLB lets them fester?

If in a year we have full instant replay and reasonable first-pitch times and a more intelligent playoff setup you can come talk to me about the NFL vs. MLB. Until then, however, you are just grasping for straws to justify your opinion, and losing the argument.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, why not alternate the start times so that for a few games east coast kids can see the whole game?

The truth is the networks would never stand for that. Look I understand people's points and in an ideal world everyone would be happy. I honestly don't think the issue of kids liking the sport has to do with the ending time of games.

The NFL model has numerous built in advantages that other sports will never have.

I wonder if Maier still thinks it's funny. Too bad we didn't come back on them. I have to say I'm impressed with the resilency of this Rangers club.

the 4 Letter To the Rescue!

NEW YORK -- When Robinson Cano's second-inning homer landed in the seats at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday, Jeffrey Maier -- who was involved in the most famous fan interference play in Yankee history -- sat on a bar stool in La Guardia airport chuckling with his brother and sister.

"It was pretty funny," Maier told ESPNNewYork.com.

On Tuesday he was watching the game with brother Brian and sister Alison at Skip Mahoney's Bar & Grill at La Guardia Airport while waiting for a flight to North Carolina, when TBS analyst Ron Darling mentioned his name. They all laughed.

As for the controversial play in this ALCS, Maier thought the call was an easy one.

"It seemed pretty clear to me," Maier said. "I thought it was a home run."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5705181&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The truth is the networks would never stand for that. Look I understand people's points and in an ideal world everyone would be happy. I honestly don't think the issue of kids liking the sport has to do with the ending time of games.

The NFL model has numerous built in advantages that other sports will never have.

The networks can just get over it. It's time for Selig to do what is best for the long term health of this game. Yeah, you might not get as much money, but you will get more fans who will be around for their entire lives. What is going to happen when the "baby-boomers" start to die.

How about the NFL actually doing something about their problems while MLB lets them fester?

If in a year we have full instant replay and reasonable first-pitch times and a more intelligent playoff setup you can come talk to me about the NFL vs. MLB. Until then, however, you are just grasping for straws to justify your opinion, and losing the argument.

I am not losing anything. I have watched football for 3 decades and seen dirty hits and now something is being done about it. For years players acted like idiots and nothing was done. Steroids were in the NFL for years nobody gave a crap then or now. I saw three games played in 1987 by scab players that counted in the standings.

What is wrong with the playoff setup?

The networks can just get over it. It's time for Selig to do what is best for the long term health of this game. Yeah, you might not get as much money, but you will get more fans who will be around for their entire lives. What is going to happen when the "baby-boomers" start to die.

A day game was played today, how many kids watched it?

A day game was played today, how many kids watched it?

No idea, but you can't just have 1 game and abandon the plan because the ratings didn't come in as you wanted it. It will take time to cultivate a following amongst youngsters, and the numbers will take a decline in the meantime, but you'll have more fans in the future.

No idea, but you can't just have 1 game and abandon the plan because the ratings didn't come in as you wanted it. It will take time to cultivate a following amongst youngsters, and the numbers will take a decline in the meantime, but you'll have more fans in the future.

A 757 starting time pleases the most people. Every sport but the NFL has prime time starting times for the postseason. The NFL does but it is on Saturday nights.

Archived