PLEASE, Cliff Lee .........

OFFNY

......... don't sign with the Yankees in 2011 under ANY circumstances. You have given fans of almost every other team such joy in shoving the ball down the Yankees' throats in a playoff game on their "sacred" home field. Don't pull a Randy Johnson in that respect ......... pull a Curt Schilling, who, once he signed and played for the Red Sox vowed to never pitch for the Yankees, no matter how much money they offered him.

Sincerely,

OFFNY

Cliff Lee is a very good pitcher in his prime, who has had two very good post-seasons in a row. But frankly, this legendary status the media are building up now is a bit over-the-top. He'll sign a hyperinflated contract with the Yankees and hopefully as he reaches his mid-30's he will drastically underperform it -- though I have little doubt that he'll be a good pitcher for them.

If pulling a Curt Schilling means signing with the Red Sox, then no, don't pull a Curt Schilling either. Screw the Sox, they're worse than the Yankees to me.

I meant in principle. The Red Sox are rivals of the Yankees, so Schilling stated that it would be like trading sides in the Hatfield- McCoy feud....... hence, his vow to never pitch for the Yankees, especially after he helped dethrone them in the 2004 ALCS.

If Schilling had signed with the Dodgers and helped them beat their hated rival Giants in the playoffs, I am certain that he would have taken the same stance.

Cliff Lee is a very good pitcher in his prime, who has had two very good post-seasons in a row. But frankly, this legendary status the media are building up now is a bit over-the-top. He'll sign a hyperinflated contract with the Yankees and hopefully as he reaches his mid-30's he will drastically underperform it -- though I have little doubt that he'll be a good pitcher for them.

He could be the next Burnett, only twice as expensive.

But still...

He could be the next Burnett, only twice as expensive.

But still...

He is significantly better than Burnett. I'd bet he has at least 3 years of excellent to above average performance in him, so if he signs with the Yankees, in the short run he will help them a lot barring injury.

You may be correct, but if the Rangers finish off the Yankees in this series, Cliff Lee will take a spot in Yankee-hater lore. :)

I'd hate to see him in pinstripes next season, regardless of how well he pitches....... although it would obviously hurt a lot more if he pitched well for the Yankees.

He has been historically great in the post season and deserves all the credit he's received, but I concur - His production in the future will most likely not be worth his contract.

Cliff Lee doesn't feel loyal to anyone right now. WHY SHOULD HE? The man has been traded 3 times in the last 2 years AFTER he won a Cy Young award.

After this postseason, the biggest thing on Cliff Lee's mind will be finding a permanent home and a large contract with a no trade clause. The Yankees can definitely offer him that and he won't feel a twinge of guilt signing with them.

Archived