MFY readying Lee offer; Red Sox contact Werth

JDubs

Sorry if either of these specific articles have been posted already--didn't see anything. These are two guys some of us have dreamed about...time to wake up to the obvious MLB realities. Cross 'em off.

Lee

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5778335

As such, the Yankees contacted the agent for Cliff Lee on Sunday, the first day of the free-agent negotiating period, according to a report by The Associated Press. [...]

But Cashman has not been circumspect about what he thought the No. 1 priority for his team would be this winter.

"It's all about pitching. Pitching, pitching, pitching," he said at his first postseason news conference. "Pitching is the key to the kingdom, which is why you try to collect as much of it as you can."

Werth

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5780299

The Red Sox, as expected, have contacted agent Scott Boras regarding their interest in free-agent outfielder Jayson Werth, according to a baseball source.

Nothing even close to groundbreaking, but I find myself depressed by it nonetheless. The Werth article also says that it is a no-brainer that the Sux will likely pursue Carl Crawford. I spend all of the season getting more and more excited about baseball, only to have the offseason remind me of the uneven playing field.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me crazy, but I can't get fired up about competitive disadvantage when:

1. BAL hasn't shown any real ability to operate on the level of the best organizations in baseball;

2. TAM has won the division twice in the last three years;

3. TOR has a harder sell than BAL with regards to free agents, given their tax situation; and

4. ownership doesn't complain.

Once BAL is putting together a good team and operating at a high level and NOT getting a chance to make the playoffs, I'll start worrying about complaining. Getting upset because BAL does not have the ability to half-ass their way into the playoffs like a number of other organizations just isn't something I can do.

Ah, right on...meanwhile, MacPhail just got out of bed.

This feels all too familiar.

Well he doesn't have to do much work when he scoops up these two. All AM has to do is pull out the WOW offers and let Buck spend a few bucks on the Amex for a couple of meals and the Yanks and Sox have no chance.:rolleyes:

Call me crazy, but I can't get fired up about competitive disadvantage when:

1. BAL hasn't shown any real ability to operate on the level of the best organizations in baseball;

2. TAM has won the division twice in the last three years;

3. TOR has a harder sell than BAL with regards to free agents, given their tax situation; and

4. ownership doesn't complain.

Once BAL is putting together a good team and operating at a high level and NOT getting a chance to make the playoffs, I'll start worrying about complaining. Getting upset because BAL does not have the ability to half-ass their way into the playoffs like a number of other organizations just isn't something I can do.

Yep..its just another excuse to mask the idea that the Orioles are just a very poor organization that seemingly have no idea how to contend in this division. All they want to say is, grow the arms and buy the bats. They have nothing else. At this point, its just a cliche for Nook Laloosh.

Well he doesn't have to do much work when he scoops up these two. All AM has to do is pull out the WOW offers and let Buck spend a few bucks on the Amex for a couple of means and the Yanks and Sox have no chance.:rolleyes:

Ah, right...Buck is calling the shots now. MacPhail is just a figurehead until he takes over the commissioners job ;)

I'm just annoyed that...once again, the Orioles aren't out and being aggressive. I'm not necessarily saying that they should be going after these guys but at least be aggressive...ugh.

Evidence? Clearly you imply that MacPhail did nothing on Sunday. You know this how?

No, I said he *just* got out of bed. Today is Monday...I have no idea what he did on Sunday. ;)

No, I don't know anything. I'm just going off of the slow as molasses approach to things every year for the past 3 offseasons or so.

I'm definitely from the show me state, but I also remember a post from a month or two ago about Crowley being retained.

Despite all evidence that we needed to move on, it appeared as if the O's were going to keep him...until we didn't.

I'm not saying we're going to spend $400 million, but I also flat out don't believe we'll re-sign Izturis unless we really do spend a bunch at other positions. It just doesn't make sense, and I trust that AM/Buck know that.

I have to believe that, with Buck in house, the O's have a plan that's better than Adam Eaton, Cesar Izturis and Garrett Atkins. If they don't this offseason, there will be a mutiny.

The Orioles appear to be using the Field of Dreams philosophy -- "build it and they will come." They believe they can grow/build their own championship caliber team from within. The biggest problem with that so far has been selecting the right building blocks. Until recently, they haven't done enough of that. And I think they finally have a GM, and a manager, who realize that structures made to last need a solid cornerstone. Finding one and buying it is the problem.

Archived