As the Derek Jeter Turns (Your Stomach)

JTrea81

It seems Mr. Jeter and the Yankees are only...oh $80 million apart! :eek:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/11/26/2010-11-26_jeters_price_is_high____it_is_far.html

I especially hate the fact that this saga is now dominating MLB news now. Beltre, Lee and Crawford remain unsigned and all anybody can talk about is Jeter, Jeter, Jeter.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/11/26/2010-11-26_jeters_price_is_high____it_is_far.html

I especially hate the fact that this saga is now dominating MLB news now. Beltre, Lee and Crawford remain unsigned and all anybody can talk about is Jeter, Jeter, Jeter.

Dude it's the New York Daily News. It's DEREK JETER vs. the MFY.

What the hell do you expect them to talk about?!?!?!

Turmoil between the Yankees and their Captain is great news for Orioles fans. I'm happy to hear about it.

Turmoil between the Yankees and their Captain is great news for Orioles fans. I'm happy to hear about it.

Yeah, I'm on board with this, it's fun to watch both sides squirm. I believe the Yankees cave more than Jeter on this deal though. He's got the most leverage, otherworldly fan appeal and popularity, and they have limitless money. Bottom line, even if his skills have diminished, he brings them a great ROI even for what he wants.

I said this in another thread, but it applies here obviously..

Can't believe how the Yankees are handling this and the Jeter situation..These are the same Yankees who gave AJ Burnett $80 Million and Kei Igawa $40 mil, right? This is the guy they decide to Nickel and dime? Really?

I don't think this happens if Big George is still alive. These idiots are going to run them in the ground eventually (not that I'm complaining, but Jeter and Rivera deserve more than this). Not to say Jeter is worth more than $15 Million, he's not, but the Yankees print money in their offices, money is no object.

Yeah, I'm on board with this, it's fun to watch both sides squirm. I believe the Yankees cave more than Jeter on this deal though. He's got the most leverage, otherworldly fan appeal and popularity, and they have limitless money. Bottom line, even if his skills have diminished, he brings them a great ROI even for what he wants.

I can see it both ways. While he is a good ROI, they're the Yankees...and as big as Jeter is, the Yankees are the biggest franchise in all of sports. They can afford to do without him and they've let iconic players walk before. They know when to walk away.

Can't believe how the Yankees are handling this and the Jeter situation..These are the same Yankees who gave AJ Burnett $80 Million and Kei Igawa $40 mil, right? This is the guy they decide to Nickel and dime? Really?

Ok, I'm calling you out: You are really Bill Simmons' friend JackO who he always calls to talk about the Yankees, aren't you? :P

Those were the EXACT WORDS he used this week to make his argument on overpaying to sign Jeter :laughlol:

Oh, and to the person who says Jeter has all the leverage, that's false. He has no leverage whatsoever.

He's not going to get a deal even half as good as the one already offered from anyone else. And for all the huffing and puffing his people are trying to push through the media, and the vocal voices of a few fans, they are going to make the same money next year whether Jeter is standing at shortstop Opening Day or has his head perched on a pike at 161st and River Avenue.

The reason the Yankees have been so great over the years is because they have always been bigger than any one person. They were bigger than Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio and Casey Stengal and Mickey Mantle and Reggie Jackson and Don Mattingly and Bernie Williams. They are bigger than Derek Jeter.

Archived