Werth close with Nationals

nevadaO

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/werth-close-to-deal-with-nationals.html

Free agent outfielder Jayson Werth is close to a deal with the Washington Nationals, a source tells MLB.com's Todd Zolecki. Werth signing with the Nats would be a surprise, though the pairing does make sense. Washington now has money to spend after losing Adam Dunn in free agency and needs to replace the bopper's bat in the lineup.

Because they offer free agents:

stacks-of-money.jpg

We offer free agents:

pennies.jpg

More on the Dunn deal than Martinez, but we are always an also ran because we offer less than market value from the jump. Nats were the top bidder on Tex, we were the joke offer.

The Nats have shown a willingness to pony up serious money. I hope they get Werth. Keeps him from the Red Sox.

Curious. How come everyone says that the Nationals have money to spend? I find it hard to believe the franchise is making more $$$ than the Orioles, specifically since Angelos has the upper hand in the MASN deal. Is the owner just willing to fund salaries at a loss. Interested in everyone's thoughts.

Curious. How come everyone says that the Nationals have money to spend? I find it hard to believe the franchise is making more $$$ than the Orioles, specifically since Angelos has the upper hand in the MASN deal. Is the owner just willing to fund salaries at a loss. Interested in everyone's thoughts.

Ted Lerner is one of the wealthiest individual owners in baseball.

Archived