Blockbuster brewing???

bigbird

You forget how Hernandez played in 2006 I guess, the guy is 1 year removed from an All-Star like season. He also had a great Sept. Oblique injuires take time to get over and Hernandez was also beat up behind the plate. I'd say he has at least 2 more years in him of providing good offense and decent defense from the catcher spot.

Well of course thats what all of us O's fans say.

You have to look at it from a Cubs fans perspective.

Hernandez had a bad year, is getting close to the dangerous years for a catcher, and had some injury problems, and also has two years on his deal.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a higher opinion of Hernandez than you do. And I don't know anything about Soto.

Question about Iowa -- is that an extreme hitters' park? It seems you have a ridiculous number of players with gaudy stats there. I count 8 players with 100+ AB and an OPS of .899 or higher.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/external/brandedstats/t998.html?cid=451&lid=112&t=t_ibp&sid=milb

Yes, it is an extreme hitters park in an extreme pitcher's league.

I don't think Ramon makes a lot of sense for the Cubs either.

I don't get why we keep hearing that the Orioles want to pair Tejada and Ramon together.

Yes, it is an extreme hitters park in an extreme pitcher's league.

I don't think Ramon makes a lot of sense for the Cubs either.

I don't get why we keep hearing that the Orioles want to pair Tejada and Ramon together.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/oracle/discussion/2007_minor_league_park_multipliers/

Baseball Think Factory sez Iowa slightly favors hitters, certainly not extreme though. Iowa is probably among the more pitcher-friendly parks in that league though.

Well of course thats what all of us O's fans say.

You have to look at it from a Cubs fans perspective.

Hernandez had a bad year, is getting close to the dangerous years for a catcher, and had some injury problems, and also has two years on his deal.

Exactly. The red flags are everywhere.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/oracle/discussion/2007_minor_league_park_multipliers/

Baseball Think Factory sez Iowa slightly favors hitters, certainly not extreme though. Iowa is probably among the more pitcher-friendly parks in that league though.

Thanks for that.

Iowa is a neutral park, in a hitter's league.

Frobby mentioned 8 guys with 100+ ABs and OPSs of 899 or better.

If that was primarily a function of park and league, you'd see the same thing in other years.

In 2006, there was only 1 such hitter. In 2005, two such hitters.

And of the three, only one was really a prospect (Ronny Cedeno). The other two are AAA lifers (Scott McClain and Michael Restovich).

Iowa had a very talented offensive team this year, is the best explanation.

They must have a hell of a hitting coach in Iowa then, because the park and league effects don't entirely explain the trend.

The PCL is a great hitters league...The park effects are probably comparing Iowa to other stadiums in that league and all that tells you is there are even more hitter firendly parks.

They must have a hell of a hitting coach in Iowa then, because the park and league effects don't entirely explain the trend.

If Iowa is a slight hitters park, but is comparitively a pitchers park in the league, then the league is a huge hitters league. They do play 1/2 their games on the road, so their stats will end up being greatly inflated.

If Iowa is a slight hitters park, but is comparitively a pitchers park in the league, then the league is a huge hitters league. They do play 1/2 their games on the road, so their stats will end up being greatly inflated.
I know how park and league effects work. You certainly have to adjust numbers from those parks and leagues accordingly, but you can't dismiss every player with good numbers in those leagues as being solely a byproduct of the environment.

I was just told there are internal talks of a major trade dealing Tejada and Hernandez in the same package. Angels and Cubs being mentioned. Don't look for any Asian signings. Free agents signings will be limited to pitching and catching.

Does this mean another year of Patterson in centerfield or instead a trade for an outfielder (that isn't at or near the bottom of the league in OPS)? (talk about your loaded questions). Also, what about leftfield, and how long will we continue to leave that as a huge hole to fill? Finally, is there consideration to involving the Cubs and/or the Angels in a three-way trade?

I know how park and league effects work. You certainly have to adjust numbers from those parks and leagues accordingly, but you can't dismiss every player with good numbers in those leagues as being solely a byproduct of the environment.

I don't see how anyone has done that...However, you do have to look much deeper into their stats and do much more of an analysis than you need to do with guys in other leagues.

The PCL is a great hitters league...The park effects are probably comparing Iowa to other stadiums in that league and all that tells you is there are even more hitter firendly parks.

The park effects are comparisons throughout baseball, not just the PCL.

Explain this to me then.

Iowa's team OPS:

2005: .752 (16th of 16)

2006: .732 (11th of 16)

2007: .811 (3rd of 16)

Iowa's park hasn't changed.

What's changed is the hitters on the team were much better this year.

Archived