O's to leave 105.7

Remember The Alomar

See, for me this is great news. I live on the MD/PA line, and I couldn't get 105.7. I lose it three quarters of the way home from work on Rt. 136. It becomes a PA rock station. I could only listen from radios stationed in particular places around my house...and then it wasn't clear. I get WBAL much better. So, that part makes me happy.

I've picked up WBAL in Rochester, so this makes me happy. Hopefully I can pick it up in Albany.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've picked up WBAL in Rochester, so this makes me happy. Hopefully I can pick it up in Albany.

You can, after sunset.

I visit my mother in Fort Edward (near Glens Falls) about 5 or 6 times a year and I can get WBAL at night up there for Ravens games, and now I'll be able to get it for Oriole games on my summer visits as well. You just have to wait for the sun to go down, which in the summer is after 8:30 so you won't be able to catch East Coast games from the beginning.

I am not sure why it goes directional then, I guess is what I am getting at... I am not as well versed in the engineering side of radio.

Link to the website is below. I suspect WBAL went directional at night for the reasons explained in the excerpt below (emphasis mine), but I'm not positive.

Clear channel stations used to be "clear" but beginning in the early 1980s, additional stations were authorized to operate on clear channel frequencies at night, often with greatly reduced power and directional antennas Clear channel stations can use 50,000 watts of power and many use non-directional antennas. In the early days of radio, no other stations could operate on a clear channel station's frequency between sunset and sunrise. Clear channel stations could be heard over much of the country at night. While the "breaking up" of clear channels may have been economically necessary for daytime-only stations, it did result in many clear channel frequencies sounding much like regional channels at night. Now a days some of the big 50KW night stations have directional antennas and this results in a null in certain directions so as not to interfere with other biggies. Some AMs are non-directional daytime and go directional at night to protect other stations via skywave, but there are variations on this theme.

http://www.ac6v.com/clearam.htm

AM stations have to change signal directions at night due to the FCC. I believe the reason WBAL does it is due to another AM station broadcasting on 1090 in Arkansas. If they didn't they would blow that station away, even in their local market.

Its actually one of the very neat things about AM radio, the way the signals bounce around and broadcast to many miles away. I remember listening sitting around at night in the summer and just slowly changing the dial trying to pickup broadcasts from other places. It was always neat to hear something from Chicago, St. Louis, or Montreal and be in Maryland.

AM stations have to change signal directions at night due to the FCC. I believe the reason WBAL does it is due to another AM station broadcasting on 1090 in Arkansas. If they didn't they would blow that station away, even in their local market.

Its actually one of the very neat things about AM radio, the way the signals bounce around and broadcast to many miles away. I remember listening sitting around at night in the summer and just slowly changing the dial trying to pickup broadcasts from other places. It was always neat to hear something from Chicago, St. Louis, or Montreal and be in. Maryland.

I can tune Mets games on 660AM at nights in Maryland. Now that's a powerful signal.

As said by others, you can WBAL in Albany area, but WTIC in Hartford 1080 and WWWE in Cleveland 1100 sometimes interfers. I suppose it depends on how fine the tuner is..in a digital world, this should be less of a problem.

Buy an HD radio tuner, get a $15 dollar MLB audio subscription, or buy the $15 dollar MLB andriod/iphone app if you have a smart phone. Also, I know that WBAL let's you listen live on their website--maybe you'll be able to listen to it there?

Thanks all for the responses and help.

Working to get my plan together (this may be my impetus to finally get a laptop and an iphone/droid....what we won't do to follow Orioles baseball). Thinking mlb.com on the laptop for home use, and Alomar suggests an "mlb.com app" for the iphone/droid, which I would use in the car.....anyone more in tune with technology know if the iphone/droid mlb.com plan would work? Does it require 3G or 4G reception? (also, any recommendations on phone or cell provider appreciated)

Oh not to mention I will be extremely PO'd if some of the ravens junk is played over orioles games come August and September. I know the article in the sun says it wont interfere, but if the O's God forbid are 30 games out come september and the start playing ravens I will be extremely mad

Its actually one of the very neat things about AM radio, the way the signals bounce around and broadcast to many miles away. I remember listening sitting around at night in the summer and just slowly changing the dial trying to pickup broadcasts from other places. It was always neat to hear something from Chicago, St. Louis, or Montreal and be in Maryland.

No doubt another station on the same frequency is the reason for redirecting signal at night, but I live less than 25 miles from the WBAL transmitting tower, so the restriction of signal is obviously pretty severe. However, I use to travel throughout the south - VA, NC and SC -on business and had no problem picking up WBAL at night to listen to the O's games.

"According to the station's website, WBAL Radio will launch a new Orioles "On Deck" show, hosted by Brett Hollander, prior to the games. In addition, during the offseason, WBAL Radio will broadcast a weekly "Hot Stove" program. "

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110208&content_id=16598642&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

I really enjoyed Tom and Dave on the pre and post game shows on 105.7. I hope they are still involved in some capacity. Perhaps they are going to be involved in the new week-day baseball show on MASN? Wall to Wall Baseball on Saturday mornings is fantastic.

Archived