Pushing Back Time: SI's Joe Posnanski

SoBo

Pretty good read from Joe Posnanski at SI this morning on Jeter and Tiger Woods making changes to their swings to fight back father time. We've all been waiting for the Yankees to age and maybe just maybe 2011 is that season. This is a team that actually played under .500 the last two months of the season. Albeit by one game. And full disclosure, it doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture for Derek Lee and Vladdy having big years at 35+. I think they can still be effective. But as we've all been saying this offseason, it'll be the young arms that will lead us to the promised land in 2011. Anywho, I thought it was a good read.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/02/20/pushing-back-time/?eref=sihp

NOLAN RYAN.

I could also add Mariano Rivera or Warren Spahn..but Nolan Ryan was a wonder for most of 27...you heard me..27 seasons. He finally had his arm give out as he neared 47 years old..but at 40 he was still dealing. As were both Spahn and Rivera.

Agreed Roy... There's always exceptions to every rule. Hank Aaron comes to mind from a hitters perspective. But we're talking about the greats of greats here. Which Jeter may be considered. I think sometimes as fans we put blinders on to the obvious fading star in their mid to late 30's as they still show flashes of brilliance from their prime.

Archived