Conference tourneys thread

Sports Guy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Villanova is in a freefall. Regardless of where they end up in the tournament, I may just pick the other teams in my brackets.

Beign the local A-10 "expert" (I use that term extremely lightly), I just wanted to fill everyone in on the first rounds of games tonight.

9. Dayton 78, U8. Mass 50. The Flyers controlled this game from the start, as the Minutemen couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. At one point, Dayton was up 47-18 with 16 minutes left in the 2nd half. The Flyers take on the number-one Xavier Musketeers in Atlantic City on Friday. Xavier is going for its third win against Dayton this season.

12. Saint Joseph's 71, 5. GW 59. With seconds left in the second half, the Colonials had several chances to tip the ball in with an easy layup. They failed, which gave the Hawks of St. Joe's a second life. THey took full advantage of it during overtime, keepign their season alive. They will face 4. Duquesne (who has lost 6 of their past 8) on Friday.

10. LaSalle 75, 7. St. Bonaventure 73. In another A-10 upset, the Explorers narrowly edged the Bonnies. LaSalle will face their Philadelphia rivals, the Temple Owls, on Friday. In their previous two meetings this season, they have only lost by 4 and 8 points.

6. Rhode Island 70, 11. St. Louis 61. SLU's season comes to a close after James Delroy (17 points, 5 blocks) and the Rams took care of business. In Rhode Island's only game vs. Richmond this year in January, the Rams went into Richmond and beat them 78-74. They'll look to do it again to the third-seeded Spiders in the quarterfinals.

Anyone see the end of the Rutgers-St. John's game just now?

There were a series of controversial foul calls/non-calls in the last 30 seconds. The whole sequence of events culminated in a steal by St John's, they were up by two, with a few seconds left. The SJ player, celebrating, steps out of bounds and throws the ball into the seats with almost two seconds left but the refs don't call it and the game is over--- Rutgers ends up losing 65-63 when they should have had a chance to tie the game.

Unreal. The commentators are going on and on, blaming the refs for basically not trying at the end of the game.

There were a series of controversial foul calls/non-calls in the last 30 seconds. The whole sequence of events culminated in a steal by St John's, they were up by two, with a few seconds left. The SJ player, celebrating, steps out of bounds and throws the ball into the seats with almost two seconds left but the refs don't call it and the game is over--- Rutgers ends up losing 65-63 when they should have had a chance to tie the game.

Unreal. The commentators are going on and on, blaming the refs for basically not trying at the end of the game.

Seriously. That was some of the most horrific reffing I've seen at the end of any game, in any sport. These are the times where saying, "ARE YOU BLIND?!?" perfectly applies. I hope Rutgers' coach went off on the post-game interview.

Seriously. That was some of the most horrific reffing I've seen at the end of any game, in any sport. These are the times where saying, "ARE YOU BLIND?!?" perfectly applies. I hope Rutgers' coach went off on the post-game interview.

Sounds like Xavier-Butler at Hinkle in December 2009.

65 + 63 = 128.

What was the over/under on the game?

If the Big East really wanted to, they would have announced that today, before the game against Syracuse, they would play the last 1.7 seconds of Rutgers/St. Johns and that the winner would go right into the next game.

This isn't a mid-season game where the visitor isn't coming back through. We aren't talking about Marquette and Louisville, but two New York-area teams. They could have arranged this and called it special circumstances in the best interests of the game.

That they simply won't do that tells me a lot about who is running that conference.

If the Big East really wanted to, they would have announced that today, before the game against Syracuse, they would play the last 1.7 seconds of Rutgers/St. Johns and that the winner would go right into the next game.

This isn't a mid-season game where the visitor isn't coming back through. We aren't talking about Marquette and Louisville, but two New York-area teams. They could have arranged this and called it special circumstances in the best interests of the game.

That they simply won't do that tells me a lot about who is running that conference.

Would NCAA rules even allow that?

Archived