Conference tourneys thread

Sports Guy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that the tourney's over, let's see if we can guess seeding.

Duke: 1

UNC: 2

FSU: 7

Clemson: 11

Virginia Tech: Headed for Dayton as a 12

BC: NIT

I pretty much agree although FSu may be a little high at 7...I think UVA and Clemson could both be headed for the "first round".

Am I the only who thinks the second games for the 1 and 2 seeds are going to be tougher than the sweet 16 games?

Richmond defeats Dayton in the A-10 Final, 67-54. (THANK GOD, NO DAYTON!) This is the Spiders' first A-10 Tournament victory. MVP Kevin Anderson led the way with 23 points.

The tournament really boosted Richmond's resume, and now they are safely in with an automatic berth. I have them as a 10 right now; I don't think they can get a 9, but it is possible.

That will give the Atlantic 10 3 teams in the NCAA Tournament in a down year for the conference.

I pretty much agree although FSU may be a little high at 7...I think UVA and Clemson could both be headed for the "first round".

Am I the only who thinks the second games for the 1 and 2 seeds are going to be tougher than the sweet 16 games?

I can see that, just because the 3rd through 6th lines are pretty weak to me this year. Someone (ahemKANSASahem) might sleep on someone in the 8th or 9th line.

I can see that, just because the 3rd through 6th lines are pretty weak to me this year. Someone (ahemKANSASahem) might sleep on someone in the 8th or 9th line.

I talked about in another thread, talking about the teams like K St, Washington, Mizzou, Illinois, Mich St, etc...

Now, K St and Washington have done enough to where they should be 6th seeds but those teams could prove to be tougher matchups than the 3-5 seeds.

I'm thinking Temple, Marquette, USU or Villanova. All except Temple is just based on feeling, I admit. Temple is legit.

K-State is a legit Elite Eight team, I think. The 3 seed and/or 2 seed they play is going to be in some serious trouble.

Oh Virginia Tech...oh man.

I'm pissed off FOR them. That's such a load of BS that it's unbelievable. Malcolm Delaney must be livid.

While I sort of feel sorry for them, they put themselves in position to be left out by letting down after beating Duke. After beating Duke they were almost sure to get in, and then they promptly lost to BC and Clemson. This is what happens. They had a decent argument to get in, but they left room for doubt.

While I sort of feel sorry for them, they put themselves in position to be left out by letting down after beating Duke. After beating Duke they were almost sure to get in, and then they promptly lost to BC and Clemson. This is what happens. They had a decent argument to get in, but they left room for doubt.

And as we know all too well, if you give the selection committee even a fraction of a millimeter of wiggle room on Tech, they're out.

Forgive me if I think the whole process is a Byzantine, Kafkaesque mess. It's amazing that no one really questions the idea of a cabal of learned elders sitting in a smoky room deciding on a whim who gets in the tourney and who doesn't.

My God, 86 wins over the last four years and ZERO berths in the tourney. What a joke.

And as we know all too well, if you give the selection committee even a fraction of a millimeter of wiggle room on Tech, they're out.

Forgive me if I think the whole process is a Byzantine, Kafkaesque mess. It's amazing that no one really questions the idea of a cabal of learned elders sitting in a smoky room deciding on a whim who gets in the tourney and who doesn't.

My God, 86 wins over the last four years and ZERO berths in the tourney. What a joke.

You must not be paying attention...at all.

And based on the results I never will.

Well that's fine...but to complain about people not questioning the process, when you are obviously not paying attention to those people, is ridiculous.

BTW, I think VaTech should be in but it really comes back to a few things:

1) Win games

2) Schedule good teams outside the conference

VaTech did a better job of that but they aren't in the tourney because they didn't do what they were supposed to do..That's on them.

BTW, there are plenty of teams that win 20 or more games year in and year out that don't get in.

Well that's fine...but to complain about people not questioning the process, when you are obviously not paying attention to those people, is ridiculous.

BTW, I think VaTech should be in but it really comes back to a few things:

1) Win games

2) Schedule good teams outside the conference

VaTech did a better job of that but they aren't in the tourney because they didn't do what they were supposed to do..That's on them.

BTW, there are plenty of teams that win 20 or more games year in and year out that don't get in.

Win games - they won 21 games. Sure, they had some bad losses, but they played as well as you can expect a 6-man team to play. They played their frickin' hearts out, going back-to-back-to-back days with literally half a team.

Schedule good teams outside of conference? Kansas State, Oklahoma State, UNLV, Purdue, Penn State, Mississippi State, and they went 3-3 in those games including an OT loss to Purdue.

I could live with this if it was a one time thing, or maybe they play and schedule like this and get in one year, don't get in the next. But four straight years as a so-called bubble team, and four straight years sitting at home listening to the excuses why Penn State and UAB and VCU are more deserving.

I'm wondering why we even went to the ACC. If you can win 10 or 11 games in conference all the time and never make the tourney I think they might have been better off in some crap conference going 27-3 while playing UNC Greensboro or Savannah State six times.

It just galls me that Tech is a consensus top-50 team in the country, but it doesn't matter because 15, 20 spots in the tourney are reserved for 15 or 16 seeds who won some little Metro Atlantic type conference. How many teams have to make it while they're ranked 125th by Sagarin?

This is what they're talking about getting rid of the bowl system in football for? At least the bowls are honest and upfront about them being 100% about the money.

Archived