If you were the GM, would you put Britton on the OD roster, or wait?

Frobby

If you were GM, would Britton be on the OD roster  

214 members have voted

1. 1. If you were GM, would Britton be on the OD roster

• Yes - give the team the best chance to win now
    • No - get the extra year of control by waiting until April 21 or later

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simple poll. You are the GM, you know the free agency consequences of putting Britton on the OD roster, and you also know that he arguable has been the best starting pitcher in camp. What do you do?

I have a feeling this will be even more lopsided than the famous "Smoak vs. Matusz" poll.

I won't be upset either way. Both options have an argument that can be made.

A lot of talk has gone into winning now and judging the team by their win-loss record. If that's really true, bring him up now. He pitched well enough to make the rotation and gives us the best chance of winning games.

Who knows what we'll look like 5 years from now?

Wait Wait Wait!!! he gives us the best chance to win in the future! I don't see how maybe 3 starts is worth an entire year.

I've been back and fourth on this, but ultimately I've come to realize that three starts isn't worth an entire year unless those 3 starts are games 1, 4, and 7 of the World Series. Keep him down and get the extra year. The players will understand, and the casual fans probably don't even know who Britton is. There is no real downside here.

I have a feeling this will be even more lopsided than the famous "Smoak vs. Matusz" poll.

Only on this site...

I think if you were to take a poll of all the fans, you'd see them in favor of Britton making the rotation, especially if you gave them the schedule and the other candidates' numbers vs. those teams.

Only on this site...

I think if you were to take a poll of all the fans, you'd see them in favor of Britton making the rotation, especially if you gave them the schedule and the other candidates' numbers vs. those teams.

I think those other fans might be swayed by the argument that 1 season in 6 years is more important than 2 weeks right now.

Only on this site...

If it was 15-20 starts, I might agree with you. But I just can't see the sense of trading two starts for an entire year of control. This isn't football - there are 162 games.

I think those other fans might be swayed by the argument that 1 season in 6 years is more important than 2 weeks right now.

but is it really that? If we don't lock him up with a lucrative long term contract before then, we will have a disgruntled star pitcher. If we are really worried about that extra year, then we either have a #5 type pitcher or we are so cheap our pitcher is all pissed off. I think we are making far too much of the extra year.

but is it really that? If we don't lock him up with a lucrative long term contract before then, we will have a disgruntled star pitcher. If we are really worried about that extra year, then we either have a #5 type pitcher or we are so cheap our pitcher is all pissed off. I think we are making far too much of the extra year.

Isn't he a Boras client?

Only on this site...

Where is a better place to see what educated Orioles fans think?

There isn't another Orioles site that comes close. I came across another Orioles board called OriolesAnonymous but I read halfway through one thread and it made my head hurt.

They can still lock him up long-term with the extra year of control, it just makes it less expensive to do so.

Only on this site...

So? There are plenty of stupid baseball fans. In fact, quite a large percentage of all sports fans lack the knowledge necessary to make informed roster management decisions. I bet if we had every GM in baseball vote on this poll they would all vote to keep him down until the end of the month. Well, maybe not all... is Ed Wade still a GM somewhere?

Only on this site...

Maybe if you took a poll of all the fans who're at an age where they're very likely to be dead in five years...

Archived