New Coach Search

Guest Boats&O's

Turns out they already have Robert Ehsan as the Interim coach, so I have to check my facts next time. But I still think that a bad hire this year would put the program back years. Maryland is a top 20 job, and we are going to get a top 100 coach. Something is off with that picture.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think Turgeon takes the job.

The question is, is that a good hire?

He has done a good job, at a football school, to put a good team out there and has done it in a tough conference.

He was also pretty good at a mid major school.

But still, is this a better way to go vs the young asst coach or even a Tubby Smith?

I think Turgeon can get the team back in the NCAAs on a consistent basis, with an occasional Sweet 16....think of Gary in the mid 90's. But I don't see him ever challenging UNC/Duke for ACC supremacy or leading them to a Final Four.

I really wish they would take a look at Anthony Grant. We've heard no mention in the media of any interest in him. Although that could be a good thing, as Edsall came from out of nowhere too.

Guest Boats&O's

ESPN is now reporting that Turgeon is the guy...i guess its all over...no reason he should turn this job down.

Andy Katz is about as reputable as they come in the college basketball media world.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6515713

Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon received a contract offer from Maryland on Monday to replace Gary Williams, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com.

The source said Turgeon had not accepted yet.

But the source said Turgeon is leaning in Maryland's direction.

Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson flew to meet with Arizona's Sean Miller on Saturday in Las Vegas but he chose to stay and received a contract extension.

Notre Dame's Mike Brey and Butler's Brad Stevens were also on the list but chose to stay put. Initial inquiries to Pitt's Jamie Dixon and Villanova's Jay Wright were also rebuffed.

Turgeon would be a quality hire to replace the retiring 66-year old Williams. Turgeon has coached the Aggies to the NCAA tournament in each of his four seasons at the school and has a potential top 25 team next season.

Turgeon, a former Kansas player under Larry Brown, also coached Wichita State to the Sweet 16.

Debbie Yow is poisoning the MD job.

I don't think Yow's yammering anti-Maryland rhetoric has anything to do with it. It has much more to do with Maryland going after top coaches who are already locked into good jobs. , and some are using the offer from Maryland to fatten the deals they already have with their existing school. But the results so far do make all that talk about Maryland being a "prime" coaching job thta people will jump a tlook a bit silly.

I don't think Yow's yammering anti-Maryland rhetoric has anything to do with it. It has much more to do with Maryland going after top coaches who are already locked into good jobs. , and some are using the offer from Maryland to fatten the deals they already have with their existing school. But the results so far do make all that talk about Maryland being a "prime" coaching job thta people will jump a tlook a bit silly.

Although if Maryland wasn't an attractive destination people couldn't be using them as leverage.

Would love to know why we're not waiting to get the guy we want and name an assistant as the interim for the season.

Read my post from earlier. Nothing would be worse than naming someone an interim coach for an entire season. Recruits won't touch you with a 10-foot pole, and combined with an already weak roster, you'd only be setting the guy up to fail. And the rest of the coaching community would not look kindly on that....and "the guy we want" would probably want nothing to do with UM at that point.

From Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports:

Should I be getting excited?

You'll have to wait until he's hired! I think it's a very good signing if it happens. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

I think Turgeon is a good hire. He's not a great recruiter, but he's had to recruit to Texas A&M with the Texas Longhorns being the main destination.

The key component here, which we'll have to learn, is will he retain the MD assistants, and when the MD assistants work the AAU/MD/DC HS connections and they find a player that wants to meet the coach, will Turgeon pull out all the stops and woo a top recruit? This is what GW refused to do.

I think Turgeon is a very good in-game coach, and I think given the ripe grounds of MD, he could evolve into a top recruiter too.

This hire has a ton of potential to be a great one. To take Wichita St. to a sweet sixteen, and Texas A&M to 4 straight Tourney appearances is very impressive. His incoming Texas A&M squad is a top 25 team. We're lucky he's not already at a "basketball" school. The only way we're getting this guy is because he's an under appreciated commodity at a football school.

Archived